Whatever happened to the bridge project in LR?

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For reasons yet unknown the bid opening was postponed until Jan. 28th.

They opened the one and only bid yesterday. It was for $14.3 million, about 8 million over budget. That is over twice the expected cost. The Big Dam Bridge cost $12.5 million to construct. From what I saw of the plans what cost so much?

They opened the one and only bid yesterday. It was for $14.3 million, about 8 million over budget. That is over twice the expected cost. The Big Dam Bridge cost $12.5 million to construct. From what I saw of the plans what cost so much?

Is it the elevators to get people up to the elevated span in the middle?

I bet getting this thing compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act was a nightmare.

Genuinely disparaging article in the ADG this morning. Perhaps part of the problem was the glass elevators, though I think the silliest idea was the widened dining platform at the top of the span.

Sounds like it's back to ground zero.

I'd prefer to see the whole thing start over from scratch and focus on being a functional bridge and being aesthetically pleasing with lighting at night. Surely they can accomplish that for $8 mil.

Genuinely disparaging article in the ADG this morning. Perhaps part of the problem was the glass elevators, though I think the silliest idea was the widened dining platform at the top of the span.

Sounds like it's back to ground zero.

I'd prefer to see the whole thing start over from scratch and focus on being a functional bridge and being aesthetically pleasing with lighting at night. Surely they can accomplish that for $8 mil.

I agree with you about the dining platform. The top section of the South tower facing the River Market would make a great location for a video billboard. I think the main thing is to find a way to get it open for public use. If at a later time additional enhancements are needed then they could be added.

I agree with you about the dining platform. The top section of the South tower facing the River Market would make a great location for a video billboard. I think the main thing is to find a way to get it open for public use. If at a later time additional enhancements are needed then they could be added.

I agree about the video board. Perhaps advertising revenue could completely fund that.

• 3 weeks later...

The Junction Bridge will under go design changes with bidding to go out in March or April. The Arkansas Dem-Gaz calls it a "no-frills redesign." Because of the delays I expect less and less to the point that the end product will not have been worth the wait.

Maybe not worth the wait, but certainly better than what's there now.

The Junction Bridge will under go design changes with bidding to go out in March or April. The Arkansas Dem-Gaz calls it a "no-frills redesign." Because of the delays I expect less and less to the point that the end product will not have been worth the wait.

Anyone want to take a guess at what we'll likely be missing out on? I'm guessing it will be a functional pedestrian bridge with a fresh coat of paint. That's about it for starters.

Best case scenario at this point is to make it functional and add the "frills" over the next couple of years. I really hope it gets lighting though.

Anyone know what is estimated to remove the bridge entirely?

Seriously. Go big or go home. If we just make this a pedestrian bridge, it will be as much as an eyesore as before.

So, either making it stunning or just get rid of it. Make it a proud landmark or nothing at all.

I didn't really care much about the widened platform for dining, etc, which sounds like it's a big part of the expense because it required a lot of steel. I kind of thought this was going to end up being essentially an unused feature. The glass elevators sounded cool and all but I could do without them.

The main thing I care about is external aesthetics. I want the bridge to look attractive from both riverfronts and to have some sort of lighting. As long as it is functional as a pedestrian bridge, it doesn't have to be excessively elaborate.

I also say if any private investors have ideas, by all means let them bring it. I just doubt that anyone can make a profit out of a business on the bridge.

Today's Ark Times talks about the Rock Island Bridge, adjacent to the Clinton Library, where the project has been continually pushed back. It was initially supposed to be complete by the library opening in 2004, then the start of construction is pushed back to 2005, now its on hold. Costs are going up, once at $5 mil and now expected to be much higher because of the high bids on the Junction Bridge and thought to be well over $10 million. The proper land rights have been acquired and it's just a matter of building it.

28reporterBridge_image1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The cuts continue on the Junction Bridge project. One of the items to be cut will be the planned walkway/access to "Le Petite Roche". Other items to be changed include doing away with expanding the bridge platform and using different elevators. Bids to go out this Spring.

The cuts continue on the Junction Bridge project. One of the items to be cut will be the planned walkway/access to "Le Petite Roche". Other items to be changed include doing away with expanding the bridge platform and using different elevators. Bids to go out this Spring.

I like the idea of the walkway down to the rock. Maybe that can be added through Riverfront Park funding at some point.

• 1 month later...

There was an article in the Dem Gaz today saying that the stairway is sort back in the plans.

"A Pulaski County committee devoted to converting the defunct Junction Bridge from a railroad platform into a pedestrian walkway has once again changed the design of a stairway, this time to better accommodate looking at the partially uncovered rock from a walkway along the river."

".....If the Public Bridge Facilities Board had gone with the original version of a zigzag stairway leading to an elevator, the elevator tower would have to be moved if funds were ever found to fully uncover the rock, said Billie Ann Myers, the board

• 4 weeks later...

Advertising for bids on the Junction Bridge will start this weekend. Bids are to be opened April 24th. If a bid is approved it is hoped the bridge will be opened by Riverfest next year.

Great, maybe it will be visually improved by the time the NCAA Tourney is played.

Maybe once the Junction is finished it will put a fire under the Clinton Foundation to fulfill their promise with the Rock Island Bridge.

• 1 month later...

Advertising for bids on the Junction Bridge will start this weekend. Bids are to be opened April 24th. If a bid is approved it is hoped the bridge will be opened by Riverfest next year.

Does anyone know how the bid opening went? I haven't seen anything about it on the local news.

The bid for the Junction Bridge was approved. Construction will start after Riverfest.

Thanks for finding out for us... I think this a very important addition to the progress. It compliments the Big Dam Bridge, creates an alternative to car and trolley to Alltel and NLR side of riverbank for Riverfest and other events. There should also be a direct benefit to folks living at the Enclave. How safe and easy would it be to walk, run or bike to work or for exercise once the bridge is complete?

It also buys time for the Clinton Foundation to come up with a great plan for the Rock Island Bridge.

Thanks for finding out for us... I think this a very important addition to the progress. It compliments the Big Dam Bridge, creates an alternative to car and trolley to Alltel and NLR side of riverbank for Riverfest and other events. There should also be a direct benefit to folks living at the Enclave. How safe and easy would it be to walk, run or bike to work or for exercise once the bridge is complete?

It also buys time for the Clinton Foundation to come up with a great plan for the Rock Island Bridge.

I think there should be security cameras on this bridge and Rock Island when it's done, preferably even intermittent police patrols. I'm excited about the bridge renovations but it's a setup for a mugging late at night for a couple out of towners walking to the River Market from the arena or ballpark.

I think there should be security cameras on this bridge and Rock Island when it's done, preferably even intermittent police patrols. I'm excited about the bridge renovations but it's a setup for a mugging late at night for a couple out of towners walking to the River Market from the arena or ballpark.

Hopefully the bridge will be well lit and it should have an emegency phone like the ones you see on the highway in some states to go along with the security cameras.

Since they reduced the scope of the project, I hope they kept in any plans to light the structure at night. We have all of these bridges crossing the river in downtown and none of them are lit. Hopefully this one and the one near the Clinton Presidential Center will be lit.

The low bid came in at $4.7 million, which is over a million less than available funds. They removed the extensions that would have increased the width of the walkway. It would be nice if there was an extension at the middle point of the bridge with a place for people to sit and enjoy the view. Also, I would like to see them install flagpoles on the bridge. They could be used for example to display the flags of teams that play next year in the NCAA basketball tournament at Alltel.

Archived