Whatever happened to the bridge project in LR?

The low bid came in at $4.7 million, which is over a million less than available funds. They removed the extensions that would have increased the width of the walkway. It would be nice if there was an extension at the middle point of the bridge with a place for people to sit and enjoy the view. Also, I would like to see them install flagpoles on the bridge. They could be used for example to display the flags of teams that play next year in the NCAA basketball tournament at Alltel.

I really like the flag idea. I've never heard of that or seen it elsewhere.

I'm still hoping for lights.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the heads up.

May Construction of Little Rock got the winning bid, $4.7 million. Work will begin in June.

The December bid came in at 14.3 million. The plan that George Whittenberg really tried to get the City to go with (and the wouldn't) included a long wide ramp to get to the level of the bridge on the LR side. The drawings were fantastic... The ramp started on the between the amphitheater and the River Market Pavilions. It curved from W/NW/N as it climbed to the appropriate elevation. It would have been constructed in such a way, so that you would pass through and archway under the ramp to enter the amphitheater. This is similar to the egress to the Big Dam Bridge.

The City's argument was that it would decrease the aesthetic appeal of the area. From the drawing, I would have argued the opposite. Whittenburg included space for things like hot dog and ice cream carts. I hope that the 5 million spent to convert the bridge into a functional pedestrian bridge doesn't preclude something like the Whittenburg plan from being executed in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for finding out for us... I think this a very important addition to the progress. It compliments the Big Dam Bridge, creates an alternative to car and trolley to Alltel and NLR side of riverbank for Riverfest and other events. There should also be a direct benefit to folks living at the Enclave. How safe and easy would it be to walk, run or bike to work or for exercise once the bridge is complete?

It also buys time for the Clinton Foundation to come up with a great plan for the Rock Island Bridge.

Today Ch. #7 reports that the Rock Island Bridge rehab is a long way off. The Clinton Library people are still doing research and working on the plans. They say the cost has doubled from the original 4-6 million. I don't expect to see any progress until after the election. I would even say it will not be done before 2010.

Today Ch. #7 reports that the Rock Island Bridge rehab is a long way off. The Clinton Library people are still doing research and working on the plans. They say the cost has doubled from the original 4-6 million. I don't expect to see any progress until after the election. I would even say it will not be done before 2010.

Somwhere else I read that Hillary's presidential campaign will be the focus of Clinton's fund-raising army. Until she wins or loses out I bet the Rock Island Bridge will be on the back-burner, though I think in its present state it really detracts from the presidential library itself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the KATV Channen 7 webcam. The netting now covers the entire bridge.

wxcamjunctionbridgefj0.jpg

All the work so far has been for worker safety during the renovation of the bridge. My understanding is that the Junction Bridge will receive lighting treatment similar to the Big Dam Bridge IF they can save enough $$$ during construction.

All the work so far has been for worker safety during the renovation of the bridge. My understanding is that the Junction Bridge will receive lighting treatment similar to the Big Dam Bridge IF they can save enough $$$ during construction.

I sure would like to see the riverfront lit up at night and that would be a nice place to start.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There are a couple of good articles updating the both bridge projects on ArkansasBusiness.com.

Thanks for pointing those out. They seem a bit buried. Not much new news about the bridges. Good to know they plan to finish the bridge prior to Riverfest. The City should have done this for the children's park last year. Hopefully, it will be complete this year, along with the nature center.

I am pleased that steps of progress are being taken for the bridge projects. It's much better than letting them languish around while waiting for funding for much more grand projects.

That said, I'm underwhelmed by the vision for the Junction bridge in particular. The Rock Island bridge is fine as a pedestrian bridge only--it will connect the River Trail. The Junction bridge, however, really needs to become something greater though and send a message of the ingenuity and progressiveness of Little Rock. I think the plans with the Rock Island bridge/nature thing already are sending that message (in addition to the sleu of other developments in the area).

I am pleased that steps of progress are being taken for the bridge projects. It's much better than letting them languish around while waiting for funding for much more grand projects.

That said, I'm underwhelmed by the vision for the Junction bridge in particular. The Rock Island bridge is fine as a pedestrian bridge only--it will connect the River Trail. The Junction bridge, however, really needs to become something greater though and send a message of the ingenuity and progressiveness of Little Rock. I think the plans with the Rock Island bridge/nature thing already are sending that message (in addition to the sleu of other developments in the area).

There was A LOT of vision put behind the Junction Bridge. There was a web site for it, but in the bidding process the price tag smashed the vision with an oversized aluminum baseball bat.

The egress for the bridge was going to begin just north of the River Market Pavilion in front of the bronze pig. It was going to wrap gradually up to the level of the lift area, sorta like the big dam bridge. This was going to create a nice arch entrance into the River Market ampitheater. The renderings had vendors lined up along the the bottom part of the egress. It looked terrific.

• 2 months later...

Archived