The Arlington

monsoon

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering how empty the bottom of the building is, I've wondered how long it will be before one of the local papers makes some joking articles about the "pink elephant".

I mean seriously, this structure must be an immense money loser. And the people that have bought condos are going to be upside down. Perhaps, until they ultimately sell at a loss. :cry:

PS - It does make some interestng pink glowing shadows in the evening 'cuz it's so empty. B)

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey everyone, I created a virtual tour for one of the penthouse suites. You can find it deleted.

I tried contacting Megapolis for permission to use his photo. I'll check this thread indefinitely to see if he posts again. Feel free to use any of the photos on my website in return. Also, if anyone else here is willing to donat their building shot, please let me know.

Vince

I tried contacting Megapolis for permission to use his photo. I'll check this thread indefinitely to see if he posts again. Feel free to use any of the photos on my website in return. Also, if anyone else here is willing to donat their building shot, please let me know.

Vince

Vince that is my photo, and I request that you remove it from your site. It is copyrighted and I own the copyright. If you wish to discuss payment, you may send a PM to me on this system.

You, and Charlotte Reality Services are not getting off to a good start here. Your post violates our rules about real estate advertising, and then you steal a photo of one of the administrators here. And you managed to do all of this in just your first post!

Now why would someone want to do business with you?

Vince that is my photo, and I request that you remove it from your site. It is copyrighted and I own the copyright. If you wish to discuss payment, you may send a PM to me on this system.

You, and Charlotte Reality Services are not getting off to a good start here. Your post violates our rules about real estate advertising, and then you steal a photo of one of the administrators here. And you managed to do all of this in just your first post!

Now why would someone want to do business with you?

Big time sorry!

I was attempting to contact the owner (you) of the picture by using the forum. It wouldn't let me PM you so I had to post. I will remove the picture pronto and I apologize for any infringement. Hopefully the fact that I was proactive in communicating my use of the picture to you will help mitigate any misunderstanding.

Also, I didn't see the copyright anywhere. No worries, consider it removed.

As for Real Estate advertising, I was simply trying to give the forum an inside look at the Arlington. I didn't read the EULA carefully enough to see that I cannot post a site where I have no commercial gain in whether it sells or not.

I just wanted a scratch one back for the other. That's why I said anyone here could use my photos.

Anyways. Again, very sorry.

V

ps - have you seen thepinkbuilding.com? it seems to also use your photograph...

Also, I didn't see the copyright anywhere. No worries, consider it removed.

Just FYI, every published creative work has inherent copyright protection. You don't have to register it and marking it with circle c only helps with the enforcement of damages. A creative work is very broad and includes just about any written, published material or artistic work. For example, this message I just finished right now is protected by copyright laws. Quote the message and I could (if it were really economically feasible) sue you on it and probably win. Something interesting to think about any time one makes a copy of just about anything, a map from the web, a post on a website, a photo from a website. The Internet is just one huge copyright infringement machine really.

Just FYI, every published creative work has inherent copyright protection. You don't have to register it and marking it with circle c only helps with the enforcement of damages. A creative work is very broad and includes just about any written, published material or artistic work. For example, this message I just finished right now is protected by copyright laws. Quote the message and I could (if it were really economically feasible) sue you on it and probably win. Something interesting to think about any time one makes a copy of just about anything, a map from the web, a post on a website, a photo from a website. The Internet is just one huge copyright infringement machine really.

Cool to know....now for the dumb questions.

Could I take a picture of his picture? Is that considered creative work? Obviously, someone owns the copyright to the Arlington name and design...can they enforce rights on creative material that uses it as the main subject?

Don't worry, I AM NOT taking a picture of a picture to get around this....just wondering where the loopholes are.

Vam

I created a non branded, no contact version of the virtual tour so everyone can still see the inside of a penthouse at the Arlington. You can find that here.

I also unbranded the still photos. They are here.

I am not the Realtor. I was not compensated for creating the website. I am not compensated for promoting the website. I will not be compensated if the property sells. I merely wanted to give the forum the inside look at a building they were discussing.

I created a non branded, no contact version of the virtual tour so everyone can still see the inside of a penthouse at the Arlington. You can find that here.

I also unbranded the still photos. They are here.

I am not the Realtor. I was not compensated for creating the website. I am not compensated for promoting the website. I will not be compensated if the property sells. I merely wanted to give the forum the inside look at a building they were discussing.

Thank you for letting me see inside!

Cool to know....now for the dumb questions.

Could I take a picture of his picture? Is that considered creative work? Obviously, someone owns the copyright to the Arlington name and design...can they enforce rights on creative material that uses it as the main subject?

Don't worry, I AM NOT taking a picture of a picture to get around this....just wondering where the loopholes are.

Vam

I would say that unless you add some creative aspect to the work, you will have only copied it and not created copyright material. Even if you do alter it - such as by creating a collage from the image - you've created a derivative work and that requires a license. If someone wanted to copy your collage, they'd have to pay royalties both to you and Metro.m.

I would say that unless you add some creative aspect to the work, you will have only copied it and not created copyright material. Even if you do alter it - such as by creating a collage from the image - you've created a derivative work and that requires a license. If someone wanted to copy your collage, they'd have to pay royalties both to you and Metro.m.

Okay. What about whomever owns the rights to the original subject. If I take a picture of someone, I can't sell it without their permission. Could someone take a picture of my house and sell it? Could I take a picture of the Arlington and sell it?

These questions really don't need an answer.. :whistling:

Okay. What about whomever owns the rights to the original subject. If I take a picture of someone, I can't sell it without their permission. Could someone take a picture of my house and sell it? Could I take a picture of the Arlington and sell it?

These questions really don't need an answer.. :whistling:

They could take the picture of your house without your permission since you (probably) don't own the copyright. That's owned by whomever designed the house. However, I'm guessing too that there might be some exception for taking photos of buildings in the U.S. since I don't hear much about this type of thing. Film producers, in Europe, I think have to get permission to film various buildings. In the U.S. it might fall under some doctrine of fair use or a statutory exception. We're starting to veer into the finer points that my main area of practice - patents - doesn't get into very often.

Regardless, the situation is similar to the surprise a lot of people who purchase paintings get when they want to have postcards and photos of it made and sold. They find out that although they own the painting, the artist still owns the copyright. Imagine paying $30 million for a painting and not being able to take a photograph of the thing. Funny.

Taking a photo of someone is a different set of rights that stem from the (state) right to privacy which includes your rights to control your own image or likeness. You have no copyright in your own image because you didn't design yourself.

Class dismissed.

Archived