The Arlington

monsoon

I live in Mint Hill (East of Charlotte) but have plenty of friends in South End. My wife and I have always liked the building. Our South End friends tend to agree with us. It is unusual and doesn't offend unless you were in the development behind it and had your whole skyline view replaced with a pink mirror image of yourself.

Does anyone have current occupancy numbers? I know one of the penthouses is available....

Vam

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think those numbers are as secret as those of The Vue -- which typically means they don't paint a great picture. Basically they creep online little by little so you never get a full idea.

I think the building is just fine. I wouldn't have chosen pink, but at least it is very unique, new to our skyline and is the beginning of the skyline moving down South Blvd. It had to be a color, and now it is Pink!

Interesting note on naming projects (like Seigle Point or SoDa). People will call something what they see fit or what they think makes sense even if developers have tried to brand things otherwise -- I do love the fact that The Arlington is now basically officially The Pink Building. It isn't too original, but certainly does fit and everyone knows what you are talking about!

The vacant bottom retail floors make this building look like it's being shunned. They should simply lease them out at a loss for a year or two just to develop some sense of vitality here.

Quite true. Basically this building could be a case study in how to do a whole lot of things wrong -- it didn't help that the developer had an arrogant attitude. Of course he was beyond outspoken before this project and now, likely, not many people other than those of us that were around then even know his name.

Amazing how humbling a big pick building can be.

I don't mind the pink window panes myself, but I don't like the design of the building. It doesn't integrate well with the street and its basically a big glass box. And the tiny balconies are more befitting of a hotel in Myrtle Beach rather than a luxury condo. In fact most hotels there do a better job. He should have stuck with the design that he proposed rather than this more plain building.

I think this is the biggest reason people are not rushing to buy units in this tower. And several people on the forum have expressed their rather bad experiences with this developer at the Ivey's condos. Of course I have my own issues with a development where we have photos taken from UrbanPlanet and our forum spammed with real estate adverts for the place.

Given that the Arlington is in Dilworth and right on the transit line, the lack of sales is especially amazing given how hot almost every other piece of property is in the area. It's a sign that word has gotten out amongst the real estate community to avoid the place.

I think the building would look great at the beach but for South End with the trolley theme it is a sore thumb.

I've posted before that I like the building on its own. But after going down there yesterday (TO TAKE MY OWN PICTURES OF THE BUILDING :blush: ) I have to revise my opinion. It blends with nothing!

V

I think the building would look great at the beach but for South End with the trolley theme it is a sore thumb.

I've posted before that I like the building on its own. But after going down there yesterday (TO TAKE MY OWN PICTURES OF THE BUILDING :blush: ) I have to revise my opinion. It blends with nothing!

V

I remember when the developer was proposing this tower and the Dilworth Neighborhood Association was VERY opposed to it (I live in Dilworth and welcome any denser development - i disagreed). The developer was asked to join a discussion on NPR with Charlotte Talks. He took calls from folks in the city in general and from Dilworth. It was truly amazing -- he baited those that called in, almost seeming joyous that his project was controversial. He had no desire to listen to anyone elses opinion and made it clear that he was far more intelligent than anyone who opposed his ideas. He rammed this through almost to prove a point (it appeared).

We've all seen what happened since. Eventually it will fill up, they always do, but overall the project would have to be classified as a failure. Goes to show what happens when anyone assumes they are more "smart" than the market -- forgetting that that market is the pool of your buyers.

I've heard of a myriad of design flaws as well - including the dinky little balconies (is it true that the penthouses SHARE a balcony??), and the pink glass that cast a pink glow in many units. The first floor of units have HUGE terraces but there is no privacy since the whole building looks down onto them like a resort pool deck. I have not been in much of the building other than going to a party on the upper outdoor deck so i don't know if the following is true but it is part of the rumors for why this project sucks: is it true that the trash chute and doors are right in front of the opening elevators? Great first impression of each floor if so. Also heard that they didn't include a freight elevator.

I am curious as to what ya'll think the prices are like for the remaining Arlington units. Just a rough estimate would be intersting to know---what a place apparently rife with problems sells for in today's Charlotte.

Currently on the MLS:

6th floor, 1 bedroom, 736 SF $226,500 -- $307/foot

6th floor, 2 bedroom, 1246 SF $368,500 -- $295/foot

5th floor, 2 bedroom, 1000 SF $369,900 -- $369/foot <-- resale, i guess the seller thinks they can get $69 more per foot than the ones listed by the developer himself for similar units on similar floors...

14th floor, 2 bedroom, 1246 SF $434,500 -- $348/foot

6th floor, 2 bedroom, 1485 SF $444,500 -- $299/foot

15th floor, 2 bedroom, 1747 SF $526,500 -- $301/foot

22nd floor, 3 bedroom, 2110 SF $729,500 -- $345/foot

22nd floor, 3 bedroom, 2270 SF $999,900 -- $440/foot <-- also resale

Sold in 2006 on MLS (only 3):

5th floor, 1 bedroom, 568 SF $167,000 -- $294/foot

11th floor, 1 bedroom, 736 SF $255,000 -- $346/foot

18th floor, 2 bedroom, 1126 SF $425,000 -- $377/foot

of note, one of the active listings has the listing agent stating "the building way ahead of its time..." -- this of course is the sales person for the builder!

I think this is the one I posted the virtual tour to.

Check the tax records and you'll see that the former owner was midlyly famous here in Charlotte.

V

It is unit 2201, last name May on tax records...isn't ringing a bell..?

But that review of tax records seems to show AT LEAST half the units still owned by the developer.

It is unit 2201, last name May on tax records...isn't ringing a bell..?

But that review of tax records seems to show AT LEAST half the units still owned by the developer.

Oh, I heard from the photographer that the flat belonged to Biakabitutu (sp?) of the Panthers....could be wrong.

Currently on the MLS:

6th floor, 1 bedroom, 736 SF $226,500 -- $307/foot

6th floor, 2 bedroom, 1246 SF $368,500 -- $295/foot

5th floor, 2 bedroom, 1000 SF $369,900 -- $369/foot <-- resale, i guess the seller thinks they can get $69 more per foot than the ones listed by the developer himself for similar units on similar floors...

14th floor, 2 bedroom, 1246 SF $434,500 -- $348/foot

6th floor, 2 bedroom, 1485 SF $444,500 -- $299/foot

15th floor, 2 bedroom, 1747 SF $526,500 -- $301/foot

22nd floor, 3 bedroom, 2110 SF $729,500 -- $345/foot

22nd floor, 3 bedroom, 2270 SF $999,900 -- $440/foot <-- also resale

Sold in 2006 on MLS (only 3):

5th floor, 1 bedroom, 568 SF $167,000 -- $294/foot

11th floor, 1 bedroom, 736 SF $255,000 -- $346/foot

18th floor, 2 bedroom, 1126 SF $425,000 -- $377/foot

of note, one of the active listings has the listing agent stating "the building way ahead of its time..." -- this of course is the sales person for the builder!

Interestingly we looked at the 22nd floor unit ($729,500) when it was on the market offered by the developer in February of 2005 as well a resale on the same floor. That means the first unit has been sitting there for over a year and a quarter. The views are spectatular from the dowtown facing units (the more expensive ones) and the pink is not nearly as bad looking out as it is looking in. The balconies were too small to be functional. And yes we were warned about the challenges of working with developer. We ended going with a Furman building (Trademark) and have had a good working relationship with Blvd Centro so far.

I'm guessing a lot of that is because of all the vacant units. The building's operating and maintenance costs stay the same regardless of how many people live there, so fewer occupants are forced to shoulder a higher burden.

Actually it shouldn't be. You are not penalized as an owner of a unit if the rest have not sold, the developer pays the bills. The budget for assigning HOA dues is created and then divided on whatever acceptable basis the association works from (i.e. either by square footage, flat price per unit, etc.).

This building is expensive because of the range of amenities like the rooftop pool (real expensive to insure and maintain), the lobby, concierge and security, high property taxes for common elements, etc.

Ahaa... yes, that would make sense (developer footing the bill for the vacancies), but then $629.00/mo seems exhorbitant, even for a pool and concierge. Or is that just me?

i was in the arlington maybe 6 weeks ago speaking with the sales gentleman and the price sheet presented showed the dues were based on square footage. the 1 bedroom 860 sf was roughly 275 a month in hoa dues. also keep in mind that there is no homeowners insurance (just the equivalent of renters insuranc) so that ofsets the costs somewhat

Ahaa... yes, that would make sense (developer footing the bill for the vacancies), but then $629.00/mo seems exhorbitant, even for a pool and concierge. Or is that just me?

Depends on the size of the unit and how nice the amenities are...but it is pretty typically to pay about 20 to 35 cents a square foot in a highrise. Two thousand square feet and you're at $700 per month.

Which unit did you look at that had $629.00? The larger units are going to be much higher, based on the percentage of ownership in the building. If this was one of the 2000 SF + units, it really isn't all that high compared to other similar properties.

Actually I just looked some up, random unscientific sampling:

2200 Sf unit at The Arlington HOA $581/monthly

736 sf unit $220/monthly

1485 sf unit $369/monthly

to compare:

1062 SF unit at The Rat Life (ratcliffe) $249/monthly (no pool, little common areas, no on duty security)

2464 sf $398/monthly

540 Sf at the silos :) $125/monthly

2080 Sf at Chapel Watch $455/monthly (no pool, small lobby, no on duty folks)

Buildings w/ Pools

1639 sf at Courtside $351/monthly

1181 SF - $248/monthly

1170 Sf at Fifth & Poplar $305/monthly

2420 Sf - $618/monthly

Archived