The Arlington

monsoon

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...

Atlrvr, thanks so much.  You did indeed bring up an excellent point about what is nearby to walk to.  I stop at Whole Foods or Harris Teeter almost every day now on the way home from the office.  If I had to drive to them, I might as well live in the 'burbs.  Latta Pavilion's website looks good, and though I had envisioned a highrise I could see myself there.

UptownGrrl, also thanks.  Timing is not critical as I can continue to service the area by coming in a few days a month, which would allow me to spend more time in each area, getting to know it.

skysdalimit, fair question, and I don't know what the answer is.  I've always heard you shouldn't be the most expensive thing in the neighborhood, but my space needs are larger than the loft style units I've seen online in some of the newer buildings.  I paid $699,000 for my house in Raleigh four years ago, and with a new media room in the basement and market appreciation, I expect it to appraise at a million.  Tax laws now don't force you to roll over the sales price, but I would be willing to do so and perhaps more for the right unit.  Likewise, if I find I can get what I want for less, drinks on me.  I'd like something with a large living area for entertaining, and perhaps a smaller room that could be used for a media area (this is particularly well suited to condo construction as you often have an interior area without windows).  I've grown used to a luxury bath, and I'd hate to give that up.  Beyond that, I have realized there are a lot of things in this house I can do without.  I have 4 bedrooms, but that is for resale value.  Two or three is fine, and if it was three I'd likely use one as a home office.  I have heard that the penthouses of some of the new tall buildings might be 4,000 sq ft or more.  If the layout was good and not big for the sake of being big, I could probably use the space.  2500 to 3500 is a likely target given what I've seen online though.

Thanks all again,

Dave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Arlington is what you want.

wow, for a $million, I would definitely buy a penthouse or high floor unit in one of the high rises to come online soon... Courtside, Trademark or the Park.  But I'm partial to skyline views and condos, not a house person  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude, definately, get a penthouse if you have that kind of money, then we can all hang out at your house and party! :P

No, but seriously, if I had that kind of money that is what I would get.

Arlington and the Ratcliffe are best bets for the space you want and price range. There's also 115 E. Park, (forget the name of it), pretty nice place thats right on top of the trolley. But I dont think they have condos large enough for what you want. Maybe someone else hear would know. Right between southend and dilworth though with plenty within walking distance or just down the trolley line.

Mo

Apparently there are no units available at the Ratcliffe, and all the larger units at Arlington (including the remaining pentouse) face south. Latta Pavilion has at least one of its largest units remaining. Does anyone know anything about 400 Church st? The only large unit I can find online has exposed ductwork, etc. Not my style. Anyone been in another type of unit there?

Thanks!

and all the larger units at Arlington (including the remaining pentouse) face south.

Hmm, I thought the two penthouses split the building in half between east and west sides so that both of them get a balcony facing uptown. You might want to double check that. Its been a while since I was up there but im pretty sure thats the layout.

And as far as the pink, its never going to get changed. Anyway, if your on the inside.......who cares.

There is another unit available at 400 N Church with a normal 10 foot ceiling, but it is a bit pricier $1.6M (ouch)......there are several units for sale in the Radcliff.....two are in the $1.4M range (one of those is a huge unit though) and several in the $700k range.

Of course you could always just add a ceiling to the lofted one at 400 N Church.....I tend to agree that the unit is a bit odd looking as a loft. It's my favorite building downtown, and if I wasn't concerned about the elementary school, I would be living in one of the Brownstone style units in the building......(Rock Bottom brewery is just a couple staggering steps away)

I know I'm probably two years late, are all the courtside units sold out? I love the idea of having bamboo floors.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're sold out except for the penthouse, but I'm sure there will be a few flips after closing. I'm not (although I wouldn't turn down the right deal) cause I need a place to live, but I'm pretty sure.

I'll check the Arlington when I'm in Charlotte next time. I did notice on the website that most of the unsold units faced south so I presumed it did as well (it says "panoramic view" but looking at the plan it gives the impression it is on the south side of the building..that may just be the way its orientated on the website).

Re: Ratcliffe, I did find out after I posted that there are resale units available...thanks all.

Atlrvr, I'm still getting used to this forum system, so I hope you got my response to your email, and my thanks.

Dave

Please, don't live in the Arlington... I hope everyone moves out so that they might take down the hidious glass and replace it with some nice blue glass.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bah. Not a chance. Then it wouldn't stand out. The glass on the Arlington is a statement that certainly rubs some people the wrong way, but I really liked it when I saw it in Charlotte last month. I'm male and I wouldn't be ashamed to say that I live in a building with pink glass.

Think about it- if you lived in the Arlington, and had to describe where you live to someone who doesn't follow the latest news in condo developments uptown and doesn't particularly care about skyscrapers, you could simply say "I live in the pink building!" and get instant recognition. If it were some generic new-fangled development name like "The Vue," chances are you'd have to give directions by landmark or address.

the arlington is definitely a landmark...i give directions using it all the time now.

the pinkness is growing on me a bit. what still bothers me about the building is the top, much more than the color.

i am not sure how it fits in with its architectural style (A Study in Putrid), but i think one way to improve the top, which currently just looks like a utility room now, would be to add metal or glass poles/spires along the outside of the roof. It would sort of be a crown, but would keep the shape of a rectanglur cube. do any of you architects out there think that would help the building, or make it worse?

I've attached a half-hearted attempt at illustrating it:post-670-1111087841_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I live in the Arlington (The Pink Building) in Charlotte and think it gets a lot of unwarranted bad press. The tower itself is love hate, but that's what the developer wanted (adds color to the skyline as well. We have the best view in/of the city (I have an uptown view) and a full service gym/Swimming pool on the roof of the building. All and All it has been a great experience living here and a goal of mine since it was a rendering in the Creative Loafing in 1998. The new condos slated to go up are impressive to say the least, but Gross like always did it first. Great job Jim and thanks for building something so unique and easy for my guests to find. "I need directions to your place B" Easy enough "The pink building on South."

love, hate...both. i was angered to lose the old park elevator building which in my days housed the 13/13 club. therefore, mr. gross started on a bad note with me, i wish they had of incorporated some relics of the past into this project. i do really like the pink glass...it's the top of the building (and terraces) that drives me crazy. to me, those details leave lots to be desired. having said that - to really appreciate the true beauty of this building (for those of us who do not live there) is to drive down south blvd. on a clear day as the sun is going down. not only does the building illuminate, but while driving - your car will become drenched in a light almost unearthly.

yes, i am still a little sore...but not angery.

the pink glass is growing on me, but i still thoroughly hate the design of the building.

The views seem really awesome, i must say.

I'm glad you like it, though, because it is built and it isn't going away, so better that someone actually lives there :).

I don't think the color would be so bad it it weren't the only high rise in that area. If it was mixed with 6 or 7 similar height buildings, no would make that much of a beef over the color. Some buildings just weren't meant to stand alone.

I've never been inside the building myself, but I've had friends tell me the units are incredibly big, and the amenities and upgrades are fantastic, not to mention the views. Glad to hear you enjoy it. I know there are a few on the market (out of my price range) but I'd love to take a look around if a unit has an open house.

I don't think the color would be so bad it it weren't the only high rise in that area.  If it was mixed with 6 or 7 similar height buildings, no would make that much of a beef over the color.  Some buildings just weren't meant to stand alone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They should do a whole array of colors in South End!

Mr. Gross has a bad rap for a reason. He has shafted many of his buyers. Look no further than Ivey's uptown and Factory South next door to you. He tends to not stand behind his products after they're finished. Case in point, Metropolitan Group's architects "forgot" to heat and air condition the corridors in Factory South. It took 10 years of fighting Jim, but they finally got the building retrofitted last year. He ruined the Lance Factory by replacing the casement windows with non-descript bronze glass.

I don't hate the Mary Kay Kondo, but I don't by any means think it's good architecture. There are still nearly 30 units available (last time I checked) when buildings are selling out before construction starts on many condo towers uptown. I think that says something. He didn't listen to market studies which told him people want decent balconies that they can use.

When I looked at The Arlington, I was amazed that I could slip around one of the support columns on the balcony and get to the unit next door. Since balconies are common space in the condo, I could easily slide over to the neighbor's unit and have a legal right to be there. When I questioned the agent on duty about the ease of getting access to the next door unit, she suggested I could put a plant there for privacy. Oh, ok. That fixes everything. They're basically unusable as terraces. Not even enough depth to put two chairs and a small table.

While I applaud Jim for having vision in urban living, he need to learn that reputation is important in a market like Charlotte. I can guarantee you no bank here will loan him money to build anything.

I've been to friends' places in the Iveys a few times. Although I think the layout and high ceilings are cool, many of the fit and finishes look extremely cheap. The walls are uneven in certain places (not intentially), the mouldings thin, etc. One friend has a habit of cursing Jim Gross everytime something goes wrong in his place.

I've been to friends' places in the Iveys a few times.  Although I think the layout and high ceilings are cool, many of the fit and finishes look extremely cheap.  The walls are uneven in certain places (not intentially), the mouldings thin, etc.  One friend has a habit of cursing Jim Gross everytime something goes wrong in his place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fit and finish is a problem everywere.....Take it from someone that does business in the residential building market. The Arlington was very well crafted and according to a budy of mine, so is the Ivey's

Archived