The Arlington

monsoon

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until I moved uptown, I had no clue that HOA fees could be as high as they are. I considered Fifth & Poplar's HOA fees to be ridiculously expensive at first. But, I guess that it's the norm. It's kind of a rude awakening when you think you can afford to buy a place, then you realize that HOA dues trim what you can afford by 20-25%. Oh well. I wouldn't trade living uptown for anything.

Until I moved uptown, I had no clue that HOA fees could be as high as they are. I considered Fifth & Poplar's HOA fees to be ridiculously expensive at first. But, I guess that it's the norm. It's kind of a rude awakening when you think you can afford to buy a place, then you realize that HOA dues trim what you can afford by 20-25%. Oh well. I wouldn't trade living uptown for anything.

It is initially surprising, but maintaining a single family home is much more expensive. Utilities are higher for heating and cooling, water for the lawn can get really expensive, seeding in the spring, replacing dead flowers, shrubs, etc., gasoline for a lawnmower and all the equipment itself. Restaining decks and sealing driveways. Not to mention your time for doing all this stuff. Insurance is higher. On a historic home, throw in a lot more maintenance, including repainting every few years that is $3,000 or $4,000. A friend of mine in Plaza Midwood was always paying through the nose for some maintenance. Pump in the basement because it flooded was like $10,000 and another $8,500 for some broken sewer line on his property. That was just over 3 years. Throw in a swimming pool...well...those just make me shudder about the cost of upkeep. It all comes out to be a lot more than 20 cents a square foot and it is a LOT of work.

But, of course, my first impression also was, "Wow, these fees are expensive." I think it is because you are paying it directly at one time and not in little bits and pieces. And, you don't actually see what work is being done in person. It can be a real deal though since it smooths out any bumps in your expenditures and you get a discount reflected by your bulk purchasing power.

E7

Another benefit is that you don't fool yourself about the cost of budgeting those expenses

I am not so sure about that. My neighborhood dues include an olympic sized pool that also includes 2 lifeguards on duty. My dues are about $440 a year which include the pool, clubhouse, all of the grounds upkeep, etc. This works out to $37/month. Upkeep and insurance on this house doesn't doesn't come anywhere close to another $400 a month. My estimate, based on over a decade of living here, is about $200/month, and that includes having the exterior trim repainted. And if I live in a house, I have the option of doing the work myself which saves a great deal of money over paying someone else to do it.

Now in the comparison of the basement flooding on the old house above, if the same thing happens to a condo, it gets fixed and all of the members are accessed the fees to fix the damage. I would recommend looking at the fine print on who pays for unexpected damages. I am not saying living in a home is better than living in a condo as there are different places for different needs and wants.

I do think some of these places are profiteering over some of the condo fees. My partner owns some rental property in a condo that isn't in downtown. This is a new town home (1200 sq ft), and the fees there are only $100/month and this includes everything that is being discussed above.

I am not so sure about that. My neighborhood dues include an olympic sized pool that also includes 2 lifeguards on duty. My dues are about $440 a year which include the pool, clubhouse, all of the grounds upkeep, etc. This works out to $37/month. Upkeep and insurance on this house doesn't doesn't come anywhere close to another $400 a month. My estimate, based on over a decade of living here, is about $200/month, and that includes having the exterior trim repainted. And if I live in a house, I have the option of doing the work myself which saves a great deal of money over paying someone else to do it.

Now in the comparison of the basement flooding on the old house above, if the same thing happens to a condo, it gets fixed and all of the members are accessed the fees to fix the damage. I would recommend looking at the fine print on who pays for unexpected damages. I am not saying living in a home is better than living in a condo as there are different places for different needs and wants.

I do think some of these places are profiteering over some of the condo fees. My partner owns some rental property in a condo that isn't in downtown. This is a new town home (1200 sq ft), and the fees there are only $100/month and this includes everything that is being discussed above.

What about utilities? I pay about $80 per month in electricity here in Courtside, water is included in my HOA bill also. It cost about $180 per month to heat and cool my previous place in the burbs, plus I had gas and water bills on top of that. It was about $120 per month for lawnmowing. I was always putting things in for the landscaping, including seed and whatnot. It was $60 a month for the lawn doctor, plus charges for all the seed ($80 a bag for the good stuff). Aeration in the Fall. Of course I'm figuring on my maintenance free lifestyle. If you spend many weekends landscaping and tinkering, then I'm guessing you're right, you'll keep things relatively low. You must do most of your own landscaping and maintenance then too? Sounds like that's the case or you've got a really maintenance free house. Did you buy new with fully installed lanscaping? Is it wood or vinyl siding?

I guess the overall point is that the condo fees aren't the shocking bad deal of paying for nothing that everyone thinks.

My house is about 2400, sq ft. In the energy efficiency thread I listed some of the things that make this house more efficient than many houses you see these days. The average gas bill here is about $45/month, and average power bill is $55/month. I could do more to improve it. A lot of my electricity is being eaten up by computer and other electronic equipment that I operate. I also have a real espresso machine that I leave on too much. Here in Huntersville we are part of an energy co-op which is a lot less expensive than buying power from Duke. The offer load control which this house is wired for and you can even spend a little extra and buy green generated power. (which I don't do)

I don't think I spend $50 year keeping up grass because I don't use fescue/rebel (see that other thread) and I never water grass. Fescue/Rebel requires all the maintenence that you mention and I see some of my neighbors going through that route including fooling with the Lawn Dr. We do mow the grass but that isn't a big deal, its exercise. We have spend a good amount on landscaping but the return on that is that we have a very pretty garden to walk through. The house is mostly brick exterior and it came with no yard practically. But we have been here 13 years so there has been time to work on it on and off. My partner likes to garden.

I spend most of my weekends right now on the boat. It one of the reasons for living up here.

How many uptowners have babies? My wife and I moved back to Charlotte (I am a native) from Atlanta because we wanted to start a family. CMS is a better overall school system and I feel Charlotte is more family friendly --- on the outskirts.

We have always had the dream of uptown living but can't see how children would fit into the lifestyle. Especially if we have a second.

Again, how many here are parents with young ones and are living urban?

V

How many uptowners have babies? My wife and I moved back to Charlotte (I am a native) from Atlanta because we wanted to start a family. CMS is a better overall school system and I feel Charlotte is more family friendly --- on the outskirts.

We have always had the dream of uptown living but can't see how children would fit into the lifestyle. Especially if we have a second.

Again, how many here are parents with young ones and are living urban?

V

Not sure just how many, but my business partner and his partner have a 3 year old and live in Garden District. They've told me there are plenty of friends for thier boy downtown and that is pretty much where they stay and live -- center city, Freedom Park, etc. I think you will begin to find more and more kids in the city in general with the growing population there.

There are quite a number of children living downtown. It is kinda cute to see the kids in uniforms walking with their rolling suitcase of books/clothes/blankie/whatever to First Ward Elementary School in the morning.

There are quite a number of children living downtown. It is kinda cute to see the kids in uniforms walking with their rolling suitcase of books/clothes/blankie/whatever to First Ward Elementary School in the morning.

I know, it definitely is great to see those kids, the skateboarders, and the kids that pack the park at The Ratcliffe.

I know, it definitely is great to see those kids, the skateboarders, and the kids that pack the park at The Ratcliffe.

Last year I was offered a job at the Henry Street Academy in NYC. It would have been my dreamjob before marriage/parenthood but the idea of raising an urban family seems too daunting. Especially drawing on a teacher salary and a photographer's freelance.

Vam

My house is about 2400, sq ft. In the energy efficiency thread I listed some of the things that make this house more efficient than many houses you see these days. The average gas bill here is about $45/month, and average power bill is $55/month. I could do more to improve it. A lot of my electricity is being eaten up by computer and other electronic equipment that I operate. I also have a real espresso machine that I leave on too much. Here in Huntersville we are part of an energy co-op which is a lot less expensive than buying power from Duke. The offer load control which this house is wired for and you can even spend a little extra and buy green generated power. (which I don't do)

I don't think I spend $50 year keeping up grass because I don't use fescue/rebel (see that other thread) and I never water grass. Fescue/Rebel requires all the maintenence that you mention and I see some of my neighbors going through that route including fooling with the Lawn Dr. We do mow the grass but that isn't a big deal, its exercise. We have spend a good amount on landscaping but the return on that is that we have a very pretty garden to walk through. The house is mostly brick exterior and it came with no yard practically. But we have been here 13 years so there has been time to work on it on and off. My partner likes to garden.

I spend most of my weekends right now on the boat. It one of the reasons for living up here.

Sounds like you've worked out a great system, you should write a book or something.

I am not so sure about that. My neighborhood dues include an olympic sized pool that also includes 2 lifeguards on duty.

yeah, but I can go swim at 2AM. Did I mention I can do that in November as well. Try this at your pool.

Home owners dues of $629 a month???????? ~~~yikes!!!!~~~

I'm interested in knowing what this includes (?)

It includes: gas, water, ac, heat, waste, security, house maintenance common elements, elevators, generators, pool, gym, insurance, marble cleaning, windows washing, florals, fire system - to name a few.

Condo at the Arlington $200,000+

Gas, water, ac, heat, waste, security, house maintenance common elements, elevators, generators, pool, gym, insurance, marble cleaning, windows washing, florals, fire system for HOA a month- $629

HOA for a year $7548

Not living in the Arlington---priceless :D

Condo at the Arlington $200,000+

Gas, water, ac, heat, waste, security, house maintenance common elements, elevators, generators, pool, gym, insurance, marble cleaning, windows washing, florals, fire system for HOA a month- $629

HOA for a year $7548

Not living in the Arlington---priceless :D

$7548 !!!!!

:w00t:

Are you serious!

A2

It is high, but look back at the list, a $200,000 condo there has significantly lower HOA dues, the $649 would be more for a penthouse.

The $629 was referring to a post with a link to a realtor's site which was deleted. On the property info sheet for a penthouse that was $1,175,000, the HOA was listed as $629.

Archived