Broderick Tower Update

haydenth

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet or not, but JC Beal sent this email out to people inquiring about living in the Broderick Towers

An update for the curious.

JC Beal Construction Inc. does have a contract to renovate the Broderick

Tower Building, and while progress is being made this is a slow process.

There is design and engineering [with Kraemer Design Group ( They did

Merchants Row design ) doing design] to perform, tax credits and loans to

negotiate (there is a national bank on board), and City boards and

commissions to satisfy. This "preconstruction process" will take several

additional months, with a 15-18 month construction period to start sometime

next summer after that.

The product will be rental for a minimum of 5 years for tax credit reasons.

With all that completion will be late 2007 to mid 2008. As such it seems a

little early to respond to the "when can I move in and how much can I buy it

for emails?"

As for Hines; they were involved in this project for 4 years without

accomplishing much. They will not be invited back, though a couple of their

more historic restoration oriented staff may ultimately be involved.

Fred J. Beal, President

JC Beal Construction Inc.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was pleasantly surprised to find this in my inbox.

It is rather frustrating somethimes. It does take forever to get anything done in the city. The whole approval process is full of a lot of red tape. The only real way to eliminate it is to completely restructure the city government.

Look for work to start on the lower 5 floors & the Church Building next door in the coming weeks. The plans for the tower interior are still not finalized...next summer sounds like a reasonable start date to me, given the amount of work that has to occur between now & then.

Look for work to start on the lower 5 floors & the Church Building next door in the coming weeks. The plans for the tower interior are still not finalized...next summer sounds like a reasonable start date to me, given the amount of work that has to occur between now & then.

So the ground floor retail can be ready for the superbowl?

So the ground floor retail can be ready for the superbowl?
The goal is to have the ground floor of the Broderick open for Super Bowl. Facade work can start on the lower floors as soon as it gets the ok from the historic commission. Then they can pull the proper permits & work can begin.

I still dont see the mural as a giant advertisement. The man has no galleries in Michigan last time i checked, so im guessing that hes banking on Detroits booming tourism to promote himself. And if your in the market for a poster or print of whales you are most likely gonna come across him on the internet anyway. And if his purpose was to advertise he did a really crappy job because it wasnt until 2 years ago that i learned who did the mural and ive had an interest in the city for a long time.

Oh and Allan you obviously dont watch MTV because Laguna Beach is where its all happening.

Oh and Allan you obviously dont watch MTV because Laguna Beach is where its all happening.
I don't watch tv at all. I'm down to 20 credits, but still my life is all homework. And if I did have time I still wouldn't watch tv...when I watch tv I feel like I'm wasting my life.

The artist and mural without doubt is crappy. What's more amazing is the HDC wouldn't even allow to covered to help generated revenue for renovations think they were supposed get 600K/yr for 3 years which is a nice chuck of change. You'd think the HDC knowing that financing these projects in this city is no easy task would've approved, but they choose a 10 year old mural over a building that's 70+

I don't watch tv at all. I'm down to 20 credits, but still my life is all homework. And if I did have time I still wouldn't watch tv...when I watch tv I feel like I'm wasting my life.

I was being completely sarcastic with that. I cant stand MTV so i figured i would poke fun at it. If I had your access to Detroit I probably wouldnt watch TV either.

I was being completely sarcastic with that. I cant stand MTV so i figured i would poke fun at it. If I had your access to Detroit I probably wouldnt watch TV either.

Yeah, living 2 miles from Detroit has its advantages. I actually make it a point to do my shopping there. Now I just have to get a place there, which will be happening in May. I haven't quite decided on my living arrangements yet though. A couple friends are looking to buy a house in Boston-Edison or the University District, so I may rent from them (the houses they are looking at are 3000-5500 square feet, so they are certainly large enough). The other option is getting an apartment with a friend in downtown, midtown, New Center, or Woodbridge. Either way I need to find something, since in all likelihood my parents and my little brother will be moving down south next summer, and I'm not going with them...basically if I don't find something I will be living in my car. I would prefer to get an apartment, since I really don't want to have to put in my share of yardwork and whatnot at a house. So now the challenge is finding someone who is willing to shell out $300-$400/mo. for an apartment in Detroit....

So now the challenge is finding someone who is willing to shell out $300-$400/mo. for an apartment in Detroit....

300-400 a month is nothing considering i am paying near 500 to live 1.5 miles away from downtown east lansing :wacko:

I'm looking at moving downtown probably in a year or so. I have a job lined up in the burbs starting in January but don't really feel like living back home in Livonia.

300-400 a month is nothing considering i am paying near 500 to live 1.5 miles away from downtown east lansing :wacko:

I'm looking at moving downtown probably in a year or so. I have a job lined up in the burbs starting in January but don't really feel like living back home in Livonia.

I know what you mean tapezord, VACC is taking all my money to live away from campus too.

I paid $675/mo to live in downtown Grand Rapids, where the cost of living is relatively low. I would assume that living in downtown Detroit would be in the $1,000/mo area...average.

I'm paying $350 a month (split with another person) for my flat in West Village. You get so much for your money in Detroit. If you can't find anything in your price range where you are looking, you may want to try Hamtramck.

And to go back to Wyland for a minute, I went to his gallery in Key West and all of his stuff is complete crap. They all look the same, cheesy cartoony underwater crap.

Archived