Broderick Tower Update

haydenth

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, from what I've heard, the Broderick was the most well-illuminated building in the world upon its completion in 1928. Exterior lighting schemes were far less common back then than they are today.

They did a facade inspection on the Broderick a couple of weeks ago. I do not know the results, but hopefully they didn't find anything much more serious than they had anticipated.

Patience, my friend. You will not see actual construction work until late summer. In fact, it'll be longer than that, because first they're going to gut the entire building. The changes I speak of are not actual construction work, but you will notice them, as they will be quite visible.

http://www.brodericktower.com/

back online and up

one rendering shows the wales covered up with what looks like a big sports mural,

I wonder if that will happen. I kinda like the whales. If not maybe at least some artwork, maybe a mural dedicated to MoTown's music history, or someithng...at least art of somesort and not a big advirtisement for big ben (as much as I love him).

3D_exterior%20.jpg

oh and interior renderings are available on the site

pretty much, since they have been painted, they have pretty much been the only occupants of the Broderick. When I think if the whales it makes me think more of the decay of the building rather than a pretty picture.

pretty much, since they have been painted, they have pretty much been the only occupants of the Broderick. When I think if the whales it makes me think more of the decay of the building rather than a pretty picture.

Yea, I see what you mean. Since it was pretty much abandoned the only occupants up until, i believe last year, was the mural and the bar & grill on the ground floor. Since I can remember the building there was the mural. When was that put up there?

From Detroityes. An insider from Kraemer Design Group posted this info regarding the Broderick.

"All - an update. Kraemer Design Group, PLC is complete with the construction documents. The project is going out to BID and submitted for permits on monday.

The project has recieved approval from the Depratment of the Interior (historic tax credits) and the Brownfield is mid-way thru approval.

Like all other 20 million plus projects, financing is very complex, but very much on track. The project looks to close on financing mid-september.

The bulk of construction would start then. It is possible to have construction begin on the old Church's in advance - financing has been secured and there is a tenent negotiating a deal.

Some of you may have seen people inspecting the facade on swing stages. All is GOOD. Unlike the urban myth that the facade was falling off - I can report it is in fantastic shape. Windows are bad, but the stone is fine.

We are just completing the tunnel design - tough with a people mover column next to our building between us the Grand Circus Garage."

and then

"All - related to the question of Ownership - Motor City Construciton, Inc. was created to be a new entity formed by a number of investors. It was the mechanism to transfer ownership of the Broderick Tower and the Church's build (which had different owners originally). Mike Higgins is the registered agent, but he is not the President and not the majority equity investor."

and then

"The historic lobby is in take for the most part and will be fully restored. A new lobby of contemporary design will be included off of Woodward.

The number of units per floor varies - there are 127 units from the 4th floor thru the 34th floor. Units range from a few studios, mostly one and two bedrooms units, and there a some three bedroom units."

http://127.0.0.1/forum/messages/5/72374.html?1147385183

When I think of the whales, I think of marine colored paint, spilled about on the top levels...all over the walls, the ceiling, the doors, the windows.

I have to admit though, I do like the mural. It's very nice. But this same mural is found in many major cities, if it goes away then people can just go and see it in Chicago.

Archived