Broderick Tower Update

haydenth

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I know several people who work for companies that do work on Detroit projects. I also know people who work for the city of Detroit on redeveloping buildings in the core.

Do you have the scoop on any new projects that we haven't heard of as yet? C'mon give us the goods. :D

• 1 month later...

Well, like it or not, the lame whales are gone...and covered by a tacky Jeep advertisement. I hate to say it, but I actually liked the whales better. Oh well, the ad is just temporary anyway - I think 18 months. There is a 100 year lease on the whale mural, so it cannot be permanently covered.

Michi, the advertisement covers roughly $600,000 of the $40 million renovation costs. It is a key piece of the financing, the rest of which is being finalized at this point. Construction documents have been completed, and the plans have gone out for bid. It'll probably be a couple of months before things get rolling over at the building. They've had a couple setbacks, but nothing too serious at this point. Heck, the facade was actually in better condition than they'd originally thought....

Good to hear its coming along. I must say, the ad is pretty ugly, especially with that bobblehead dude.

Yesterday while I was in Chicago I saw this. I couldn't help but laugh and think that this is something Detroit would most have likely done.... Block it with a parking structure:

202949309_366136a0e7_b.jpg

And here the same view I took back in January. Looks like not too much of it is gone yet.

86995394_38faac4b52_b.jpg

as I posted on DetroitYes, as much as I think whales in Detroit is kinda strange, out of towners love it. People that I bring down ask "Where is the Whale Building?" It's become a staple of Detroit, thanks in many ways to it's high visibility from CoPa. I hope to see it back soon, as I think the new ad looks a bit tacky.

^ Well, thats basically what it's come down to in some extent. There are so many of these everywhere that yeah, basically it is mediocre. There's nothing incredibly unique about it other than being a familiar image on the face of the Detroit skyline.

Covering up whales with a parking structure. Haha. Maybe they can't paint over it, but nobody said that they could never build a 28 story parking garage next to BT.

I'm surprised Wyland hasn't thrown a hissy fit yet. For those of you who are wondering, the advertisement is perfectly legal. The Broderick owners took a no vote from the historic commission regarding the advertisement, and then successfully appealed the ruling. Also, the skyline is reversed to draw your attention to the ad - it's a technique used by grahpic designers.

• 3 weeks later...

The MEGA board also approved in Southeast Michigan: ...

A $3.9 million SBT credit for Motown Construction Partners L.P. of Detroit to redevelop the Broderick Tower and an adjoining restaurant in Detroit. The more-than $39.8 million project includes connecting the two buildings to create first-floor dining and retail space, and creating commercial space and residential space in the Broderick

• 2 weeks later...

The Detroit News finally ran a semi-balanced article on Mike Higgins. It took them long enough! Usually it's either a Higgins bashfest or a two line quote about the Broderick renovation amidst a sea of crap about vacant downtown buildings that the city wants torn down. Not that there's any new info here, but it's an intersting read:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...0367/1003/METRO

Archived