Broderick Tower Update

haydenth

I got this in an email from JC Beal:

Broderick Tower: An update for the curious:

JC Beal Construction Inc. has a contract to renovate the Broderick Tower Building, and while progress is being made this is a slow process. There is design and engineering [with Kraemer Design Group (They did Merchants Row design) doing design] to perform, tax credits and loans to negotiate (there is a national bank on board), and City boards and commissions to satisfy. This "preconstruction process" will take several additional months, with a 15-18 month construction period to start sometime next summer after that.

The product will be rental for a minimum of 5 years for tax credit reasons. With all that completion will be late 2007 to mid 2008. As such it is too early to respond to the "when can I move in and how much can I buy it for question"

Detroit Building: We are just starting design development and it not yet clear that there will even be residential in the project when it is finished.

Fred J. Beal, President

JC Beal Construction Inc.

It looks like construction will start this summer. Can't wait to be able to see this building lit up from Comerica Park.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That isn't muchof an update from what Beal sent out in October I wonder if the Broderick is on track for work to start this summer?

Im sorry. I just noticed that was the same as what was sent back in the first post. Sorry bout that. Even so, the Broderick needed to come back into the picture on here. Allan, do I see a Exploring Broderick Tower: One Year Later? Or can you not get into there? This time I don't think you will get ragged on by Detroityes like you did last year. LOL!

Allan, do I see a Exploring Broderick Tower: One Year Later? Or can you not get into there? This time I don't think you will get ragged on by Detroityes like you did last year. LOL!
I could get in there, but I'm not willing to put my life on the line to do it. A group of people I know went in late December. One of them almost killed himself on the way in. So unless I can bribe someone to get me the keys it's not going to happen.

The Broderick is like some sort of urbex tourist trap now. I'd venture to say that it is now the second most frequented abandoned skyscraper in Detroit (the first being MCS). The building hasn't changed much, really. It is more trashed, but everything is still in there.

Ah, I'm beginning to think of last year when I took groups of people up there. My friends still find that as one of their best experineces of Detroit ever... and it really is, because nowhere can you get such beautiful views of the city. It was kind of sad when they closed it to the public, but it was for the tower's own good.

I would argue MCS is a bigger tourist trap. I mean groups of 20-30 exploring that place? That's way more than the Broderick would get in two weeks (I'm not talking about the hundreds of people that used to pour into the towers upper floors when they had those parties).

Its sad about the Broderick.

I went a little more than two years ago. I had to climb a construction site, traverse an structural member six stories off the ground and climb through a window to get in (which I am assuming is the way most people got in). There was far less graffiti and damage done inside, less evidence of visitors. Comparing that trip to more recent ones and its really heartbreaking to see some assholes ruin a great thing and destroy history in the process.

I had similar experiences bring people to BT. People still ask me if we can go back.

detroitpano.jpg

Wolverine, that's why I said Broderick was the 2nd biggest skyscraper tourist trap. LOL.

Chow, I do think most people got in that way. At one time it was actually bricked up...until some jackass decided to hammer out the bricks. The other way was through the Chicken Shack/Church Building next door. They sealed both of those entrances long ago, but people are still getting in (though with considerably more effort). Were you there after the incident where the kids totally trashed the place, lighting a fire in the penthouse and whatnot? I was amazed to see how much damage 3 kids could do in such a short time.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just looking at Kraemer's website, and apparently they will be the architect for the redevelopment of the Lafayette Building, as well. It's amazing to see small firms like this taking on many and bigger projects. The market for architectural restoration in the city is already large, and is only going to get larger as more and more potential is realized.

Any idea how much the 33rd floor is going to be? I need to know how much to save.
I have no clue. It will be a lot though, lol. Should I plan on having two fellow forumers as neighbors? :lol:

In all seriousness though, the investors who purchased stock in the Broderick Tower are the ones who get first dibs on the apartments.

As for the Broderick I hope they aren't planning to have 3 studio's per floor from 7-32 in such a prime location. Seems to me that above a certain floor that an any two combination of B.2, B.3, B.4 would be better. Preferablely B3 and B4 since it provides the best frontage to Comerica Park and keeps the largest studio.

Studios are only on the first few floors. The further up you go, the fewer apartments there will be per floor. When the building is converted to condos in five years the studios on the lower floors will be converted to larger units...nobody in their right mind would buy a studio. After all, this isn't New York!

• 2 months later...

When the building is converted to condos in five years the studios on the lower floors will be converted to larger units...nobody in their right mind would buy a studio. After all, this isn't New York!

I don't know what they are planning on doing, but people are buying studios in the Park Shelton.

For example:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/rfs/151404241.html

Archived