Chapman Cultural Center

hub-city

I just got back from the naming and groundbreaking for the new arts center in Spartanburg. It is a complex of three buildings and named for the Chapman family who founded Inman Mills. Thought it was an appropriate time to start a thread for photos. I'll try to post some next week. For now, check out the link below for architectural drawings. Can you see the mill influence?

http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Chapmans are a historically prominent family in Spartanburg too. There u sed to be a highrise called the Chapman Building.

Here are the images from GoUpstate.com:

CAC_front.jpg

CAC_front_level.jpg

CAC_profile.jpg

CAC_ground_lvl.jpg

CAC_second_floor.jpg

CAC_basement.jpg

I am impressed by this design overall. I like the plaza area and the pedestrian oriented design. The only problem is that at present, St John is not the most pedestrian friendly street. However, the article alludes to chages to come in the direction of redevelopment downtown, so perhaps this means a change for St John Street?

My other question is what will become of the current Arts & Science Center on Spring St in Hampton Heights? Its a former high school I think. It could be converted to apartments/lofts pretty easlily I think.

Here is the link to the article in the Herald Journal:

http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../510190335/1062

I'm hopeing that it is set back enough to allow for more pedestrian traffic at least along that side of the street. Also, I noticed some different elvation drawings that mentioned views from Liberty Street, so it sounds like they are at least going to extend that street back across St. John. Don't know if will go all the way down to Daniel morgan. It could curve up to the Marriott, but you would have to tear down the garage at Floyd's. No matter what, it is a great addition to the city, and being besides Barnet park is ideal.

I do wish they would have maybe considered naming it the Chapman Cultural Center at Renaissance Park, but it's just my opinion. Not a big deal.

This one looks considerably smaller than SMA. I think it will be able to book many events that would not normally show at the larger venues. I've been impressed with how active the smaller theatres stay in Greenville. One thing that they utilize moreso than the Peace Concert Hall is local groups from schools and other organizations, such as the South Carolina Children's Theatre. The CCC Theatre could be considered the equivalent of the Peace Center's Gunter Theatre, just not right next door to its larger companion, SMA. :)

I think the new theatre can fill a niche that the auditorium can't serve. I veiw it being more community oriented while the auditorium will host larger professional groups. This reminds me more of the Newberry Opera house as far as size and scope of entertainment.

They have already put a constuction trailer there so they look to be ready to start soon.

I made this post elsewhere, but it turned out to be pretty involved, so I thought that I would share my thoughts here as well:

I like the new design for the CCC. While some things may be lacking, the simple fact that this is going to be built is a major step for the Renaissance Park area. Its been how many years since they cleared that land? I can't even remember now. Something is finally happening. This particular facility has the abillity to draw people to downtown and maybe (gasp) get them to walk around a little, and not be afraid of the Dunbar St Garage! St John needs a good streetscaping first so that street will be more friendly to pedestrians, but again, its a step in the right direction.

It is much better urban form than the Marriott and the Library, both of which are distasters in that regard (though they are otherwise fine facillities for their purpose). The CCC is bulit to the street and for the street. The "walls" hide the fact that there is a parking lot back there, which may also help people to park elsewhere and walk.

What all of this leads too is how will it impact the area around it? Think of Liberty Street and Converse Street. Those warehouses and the empy biker shop beside Papa Sam's. All of this is potential redevelopment, and all of it could not happen as easily without the CCC. Just think about it, and its impact on the area. Phenominal.

Also, a new link with larger renderings of the facilitiy.

http://www.spartanarts.org/facility/elevation.htm

Good to hear from you Spartan. I was about to get worried, but I know how school can be. Thanks for posting the link. In the dedication ceremony, the chamber president said that he thought the St. John address will be one of the most coveted in years to come.

I also hope that they carefully plan this area, and make it work for pedistrians. Hopefully the CCC will serve as a catalyst to have other businesses toe that area to the CBD 3 blocks away. Dunbar is looking great and now we have to work on those areas in between there and Renaissance. Could be awesome.

• 2 months later...

awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome... this is really great... it'll help spread the downtown out, so long as development of this sort continues. I am so proud of my city that a center such as this is being built downtown, i really can't wait. again, awesome

• 1 month later...

Thanks for moving those over Spartan. I agree about Converse St. In the last picture you can see that the East wing goes out two lanes into the old Converse Street. You can look at the crosswalk to get a better reference. Losing this street put a big burden on Dean st. which is more residential. Maybe Liberty street can make a comeback on the other side. At least over to the Marriott.

The current plan is for Converse to be realigned and Liberty will extend to the site. Look for the website to be updated toward the end of each month. :whistling:;)

I hope that both are restored. Well, I'd rather that Liberty be straightened out than restored directly.

The current plan is for Converse to be realigned and Liberty will extend to the site. Look for the website to be updated toward the end of each month. :whistling:;)

welcome to the form KSUcat! What is your information source? I am glad to know that this is what will happen :):thumbsup:

Archived