Chapman Cultural Center

hub-city

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, welcome to the forum!

I'm interested to know if you see this as competition for the other venues in Spartanburg, or just more to choose from?

Also, do you think the new Cultural Center will do for Spartanburg what the Peace Center did for Greenville in terms of helping to spur downtown development and bring more people downtown?

Any thoughts on what will become of the current Arts Center?

Yes, welcome to the forum!

I'm interested to know if you see this as competition for the other venues in Spartanburg, or just more to choose from?

Also, do you think the new Cultural Center will do for Spartanburg what the Peace Center did for Greenville in terms of helping to spur downtown development and bring more people downtown?

Any thoughts on what will become of the current Arts Center?

I heard the idea of turning it into condos, and I think thats probably the best approach. Converting old schools into condos can be a challenge since they are so large on the interior, but I think it could be done well. There is an old school in Columbia that was converted into luxury apartments. Seems to me that with the effort going on to put some life back into Hampton Heights, that would be the ideal use for it.

Thats good to hear about the programming at CCC. I can't wait to see this thing when its done, and long term how other developments will fill in around it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Friends!

It is so good to see your continued interest in the Chapman Cultural Center! You will be pleased to know that the project is rapidly nearing completion and the occupant organizations are beginning to move in to parts of the buildings this week. The Arts Partnership of Greater Spartanburg will close its operations at the Arts Center on Friday Aug 31, spend next week moving and open our doors in the Chapman Cultural Center on September 10! We had our first official meeting in the facility today, in fact. The last part of the project to be completed will be the center plaza area, but that is coming together very quickly.

Someone (I suspect with Linbeck) is doing a VERY good job of documenting the project, right up to the current minute - if you want the latest construction photos, go to: http://web.mac.com/chapmancultural/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html - click on the links at the top to see progress in all the areas. Looks like it was updated within the last 48 hours.

Today workers began installing the seats in the 500 seat David W Reid Theater, which means performances are not far off.... we are also augmenting our staff to include a Technical Director Audience Services Manager, and Volunteer Coordinator. We will have a state of the art ticketing system which will allow you to buy tickets in person, over the phone or from your home or office computer....

Please mark your calendars for WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 3, at 4:45 pm - that will be the grand opening dedication ceremony, free and open to the general public. We will have a brief dedication ceremony, followed by tours of the facility and showcases by all the resident organizations, then in the evening a great FREE concert in Barnet Park featuring the Spin Doctors. Should be a grand occasion and we hope you can all come.

We have much more in store for you in the months ahead - Chapman Cultural Center memberships that give you discounts to all events held there, a beautiful Culture Shop where you can buy the best in arts & crafts of the region, plus the new Chapman CenterStage series, that will bring to Spartanburg some of the finest touring performing arts events in the country. Expect a public announcement about our season lineup in mid-September; tickets will go on sale shortly thereafter. It is going to be a grand year, and we want you to be a part of it!

We are also on the lookout for Chapman Cultural Center VOLUNTEERS - we have many tasks: ushers, museum docents, tour guides, artist hospitality and more. If you have ever wanted to get involved in the arts but did not know how, here is a great opportunity!

So, after September 10, stop in to see us or call to arrange a complete tour of our beautiful new facility. Call us at 542.ARTS to buy tickets or for more information (tickets on sale after September 17). If you want to get on our mailing list, just drop me an email (address below).

Spartanburg will never be the same!

Best wishes!

Perry Mixter

President

The Arts Partnership of Greater Spartanburg

[email protected]

Friends!

It is so good to see your continued interest in the Chapman Cultural Center! You will be pleased to know that the project is rapidly nearing completion and the occupant organizations are beginning to move in to parts of the buildings this week. The Arts Partnership of Greater Spartanburg will close its operations at the Arts Center on Friday Aug 31, spend next week moving and open our doors in the Chapman Cultural Center on September 10! We had our first official meeting in the facility today, in fact. The last part of the project to be completed will be the center plaza area, but that is coming together very quickly.

Someone (I suspect with Linbeck) is doing a VERY good job of documenting the project, right up to the current minute - if you want the latest construction photos, go to: http://web.mac.com/chapmancultural/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html - click on the links at the top to see progress in all the areas. Looks like it was updated within the last 48 hours.

Today workers began installing the seats in the 500 seat David W Reid Theater, which means performances are not far off.... we are also augmenting our staff to include a Technical Director Audience Services Manager, and Volunteer Coordinator. We will have a state of the art ticketing system which will allow you to buy tickets in person, over the phone or from your home or office computer....

Please mark your calendars for WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 3, at 4:45 pm - that will be the grand opening dedication ceremony, free and open to the general public. We will have a brief dedication ceremony, followed by tours of the facility and showcases by all the resident organizations, then in the evening a great FREE concert in Barnet Park featuring the Spin Doctors. Should be a grand occasion and we hope you can all come.

We have much more in store for you in the months ahead - Chapman Cultural Center memberships that give you discounts to all events held there, a beautiful Culture Shop where you can buy the best in arts & crafts of the region, plus the new Chapman CenterStage series, that will bring to Spartanburg some of the finest touring performing arts events in the country. Expect a public announcement about our season lineup in mid-September; tickets will go on sale shortly thereafter. It is going to be a grand year, and we want you to be a part of it!

We are also on the lookout for Chapman Cultural Center VOLUNTEERS - we have many tasks: ushers, museum docents, tour guides, artist hospitality and more. If you have ever wanted to get involved in the arts but did not know how, here is a great opportunity!

So, after September 10, stop in to see us or call to arrange a complete tour of our beautiful new facility. Call us at 542.ARTS to buy tickets or for more information (tickets on sale after September 17). If you want to get on our mailing list, just drop me an email (address below).

Spartanburg will never be the same!

Best wishes!

Perry Mixter

President

The Arts Partnership of Greater Spartanburg

[email protected]

The Spartanburg Arts Museum [sam] is moving into the CCC this week.

Link

Also interesting is that the new charter school in Dist 7 might locate in the current arts center on Spring St, which appropriately enough used to be a school. Its also looking at several other locations around town, but I hope this one works out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well the dirt in that first picture is hopefully going to be the site of the USC Upstate School of Business & Economics. We won't know for sure until December. There is also a plan that was submitted to the City to redevelop Renaissance Park. Things are slowly starting to fill in around there.

I kind of wonder why they chose ginkgo trees to put in there. I at least hope they are male ginkgos (the ones that don't smell like crap in the spring).

Archived