Chapman Cultural Center

hub-city

Also, I am wondering what you mean by "Liberty will extend to the site" ?? Does that mean through, as it straight through to Daniel morgan or will it be restored to its former path, which curves down and crosses Converse and meets Daniel Morgan east of Converse?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liberty will go back to the back side of the the Theater on the West at least. Converse will be straightened to the property and meet back up with Silverhill. Lets just say I know someone affiliated, but that much info is actually shown on the drawings posted at the start of the thread. :D

Also, I am wondering what you mean by "Liberty will extend to the site" ?? Does that mean through, as it straight through to Daniel morgan or will it be restored to its former path, which curves down and crosses Converse and meets Daniel Morgan east of Converse?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That project is making quite an impact on downtown Spartanburg. I have been by it a few times recently, and think it will really become an anchor for new development and revitalization in that part of the city. It appears to be approximately the size, if not a bit larger than the Gunter Theatre at the Peace Center for the Performing Arts in downtown Greenville. :shades:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In a poll on GoUpstate.com, 68.1% of those polled said they would rather see a sports-related venue go up downtown, like a new ballpark or racing museum over an arts center. It's not surprising, since most people are engaged in sports of some type or another, which is why I hope the cultural center will expose the larger community to the benefits of the arts.

It would be nice to have something downtown to use. All of our sporting venues are just outside of downtown.... Duncan Park, Wofford, etc. I think that Spartanburg should try to connect itself with Wofford better along Church St, and then people might not mind walking there from downtown.

It would be nice to have something downtown to use. All of our sporting venues are just outside of downtown.... Duncan Park, Wofford, etc. I think that Spartanburg should try to connect itself with Wofford better along Church St, and then people might not mind walking there from downtown.

I have a had time imagining what Wofford could do to connect with downtown more. Any ideas?

I wish we could have more green space on Church street, but that road has a lot of traffic. I don't think it could handle the volume of cars with only two lanes. Burying power lines and improving the sidewalks would help a lot.

All of us would like to see Church Street become more pedestrian. Even the city desires that. The problem is that Church Street is also US-221 and finding an alternate route around downtown isn't that easy. I have advocated rerouting 221 by using Pine and Henry Streets and mandating that thru truck traffic use that route.

Another problem is that pedestrians using Morgan Square can't casually cross Church Street to East Main. The traffic on Church can be dangerously fast through there.

All of us would like to see Church Street become more pedestrian. Even the city desires that. The problem is that Church Street is also US-221 and finding an alternate route around downtown isn't that easy. I have advocated rerouting 221 by using Pine and Henry Streets and mandating that thru truck traffic use that route.

Another problem is that pedestrians using Morgan Square can't casually cross Church Street to East Main. The traffic on Church can be dangerously fast through there.

Widen Magnolia St. @ 221 & Asheville Hwy all the way to Daniel Morgan including a new overpass that feeds directly onto Daniel Morgan , continue until intersecting with Henry St. Make a new road that crosses back behind the Post office and ties back into 221 and use this for trucks and through traffic. Then make Church St. 2 lanes similar to the proposed E. Main between Denny's and Converse college.

Widen Magnolia St. @ 221 & Asheville Hwy all the way to Daniel Morgan including a new overpass that feeds directly onto Daniel Morgan , continue until intersecting with Henry St. Make a new road that crosses back behind the Post office and ties back into 221 and use this for trucks and through traffic. Then make Church St. 2 lanes similar to the proposed E. Main between Denny's and Converse college.

Not a bad idea.

There was a plan in the 70s to tunnel Church St underneath Main St (its on a ridge). That would have allowed for pedestrian traffic to flow from the square onto the Main St Mall without any intereference from Chruch St traffic.

That might be a little extreme today. Really all they need to do is create a pedestrian friendly zone in the median from Dunbar to Broad, and not allow left-hand turns onto Main St in either direction. That road is not intimidating to cross with the timed signals though. People cross it all the time going to Wild Wings.

Archived