Proposed E/W interstate (possible toll road)

Jerseyman4

In thanks to Dell, Fed Ex and PTI airport being around for a while, a east-west proposed toll road is being considered. One good thing about this road, it gives medium-long distance motorists a choice to bypass Greensboro and Winston-Salem if going to Boone(US 421), Asheville(I-40) and Mt Airy/Fancy Gap(US 52 via I-77).

See the rest of the article from the Winston-Salem journal.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Planning ahead and building a lot of transportation infrastructure is a good idea, especially if the Triad wishes to continue its efforts of being a manufacturing and distribution hub. The tollroad idea is good because it has the potential to eventually pay for itself and/or its upkeep. It certainly has my vote.

I'm not sure how successful this would be, I just took the "Southern??" connector toll road near Greenville/Spartanburg recently and was amazed at 2 things: 1-there was very little traffic on this road compared to area interstates and 2-the cost was high in my opinion. I paid more to drive on this road than the entire WV turnpike. I am afraid that the "Triad Toll Road" would be the same way. I don't think this is a case of "build it and they will come."

True, but I think the idea is to have a foundation in place for future affairs. Growth and sprawl happens and will continue to happen along the non-tolled freeways already in existance. Eventually an "express route" will become a welcome addition, for large businesses, thru-traffic, and even locals.

I don't know much about the Greenville Spartanburg area, but if it is growing and expanding at a relatively high rate then I suspect that toll route will become a nice alternative for many motorists as time goes on.

LOL I think I'm just cheap, because I doubt that I would ever use a toll highway in NC, except to maybe check it out. There will be too many ways to avoid them, and unlike out of towners the locals will know what those routes are. Of course if I'm on vacation or out of state I'd probably go with whatever way seems the quickest and most effecient, toll or not.

I can tell I must be southern though, because the tolls on I-95 north of Washington DC and south of the MA border annoy me. Especially the Bronx tolls *shudders*. Stopping for a toll reminds me of stopping at a stop light on the interstate. I'm always nervous starting back up after paying them, feels like every1 is in a drag race to speed back up to 65, and my car does not allow me to be one of these people...

LOL I think I'm just cheap, because I doubt that I would ever use a toll highway in NC, except to maybe check it out. There will be too many ways to avoid them, and unlike out of towners the locals will know what those routes are. Of course if I'm on vacation or out of state I'd probably go with whatever way seems the quickest and most effecient, toll or not.

I can tell I must be southern though, because the tolls on I-95 north of Washington DC and south of the MA border annoy me. Especially the Bronx tolls *shudders*. Stopping for a toll reminds me of stopping at a stop light on the interstate. I'm always nervous starting back up after paying them, feels like every1 is in a drag race to speed back up to 65, and my car does not allow me to be one of these people...

I have an EZ-Pass transponder in my car so whenever i go through toll facilities, i do not have to stop at the toll booth and pay manually. Instead, i continue through the toll lanes at 20mph or if its high speed lanes at 65mph which reads my transponder thats on my front windshield. There are ways to avoid most of the tolls on I-95 north of Baltimore but not all of them. The best way to avoid tolls on I-95 is to plan out your route using other highways that do not have tolls that parallel I-95. Of course if you are in an absolute rush, most of the alternative toll-free routes are not always reliable and faster.

If there are toll roads in NC, i really REALLY hope they use EZ-Pass and not some independant toll collection company like " tar heel pass " or " first in flight pass ".

Btw, EZ-Pass is used from Virginia to Maine, i believe its the largest multi-state toll collection transponder company in the country.

Archived