Upstate Together

NYTransplant

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am thinking about it, I was going to make a reservation today but could not find the newspaper and the website didn't have the email address for it.

It might be to much for me in one day. I will be attending the Commercial Real Estate Market Forcast earlier in the day tomorrow.

Opinion column on Gville County Tree Committee

This is somewhat off-topic, but I went ot this meeting on Tuesday. There is indeed a significant support for tree protection in Gville County, but there was a lot of dissatisfaction with what the Council actually passed. The Resolution gives the committee 9 months to bring recommendations, not the suggested 6. Also, they can ask for additional time. Don't be surprised to see this issue be delayed by 13 months or more. That would push it past the next election. How convenient.

All the 'old-timer' Republicans on council (ie the ones NOT in their first terms) are against tree protections, as it seems is Democrat Judy Gilstrap. If anyone lives in Mark Kingsbury's district, we need to find a good candidate run against him. He is definitely not on board with providing restrictions on clear-cutting.

The newcomer GOP members seem to be getting the message however.

Opinion column on Gville County Tree Committee

This is somewhat off-topic, but I went ot this meeting on Tuesday. There is indeed a significant support for tree protection in Gville County, but there was a lot of dissatisfaction with what the Council actually passed. The Resolution gives the committee 9 months to bring recommendations, not the suggested 6. Also, they can ask for additional time. Don't be surprised to see this issue be delayed by 13 months or more. That would push it past the next election. How convenient.

All the 'old-timer' Republicans on council (ie the ones NOT in their first terms) are against tree protections, as it seems is Democrat Judy Gilstrap. If anyone lives in Mark Kingsbury's district, we need to find a good candidate run against him. He is definitely not on board with providing restrictions on clear-cutting.

The newcomer GOP members seem to be getting the message however.

I'm sorry, I love trees my self, but I don't think the government should have the power to tell people what trees they can or can not cut down on their own property.

With our terrain often so much grading has to be done that the trees have to all be cut down, if the ground was flat everywhere here you would see alot more trees saved.

I'm sorry, I love trees my self, but I don't think the government should have the power to tell people what trees they can or can not cut down on their own property.

With our terrain often so much grading has to be done that the trees have to all be cut down, if the ground was flat everywhere here you would see alot more trees saved.

I agree with the both parts of this. And, I also understand that without maximizing the number of units that can be placed on a piece of property, housing costs would be even higher. Truly afforable housing would be difficult to find.

However, I also think we should be good stewards of the land. By pushing up every tree in sight, we create other problems, like water runoff, that affect the rights of other property owners as well.

I think it is sad that the government feels like it needs to be involved in something like this, because of developers that cannot/will not police themselves because of greed and profit margins.

Maybe a better way to handle this would be to create incentives for developers to save trees, by reducing some of the impact fees, etc.

I disagree. And while I have not acually read the ordinace, this type of ordinance usually says that the trees that are protected are the heritage trees, like those beautiful old oaks. Alot of developers like to clearcut their lots to get money for the trees in order to cut costs, which is fine, but they generally do not save any of the large trees. I see more developments (subdivsions) that do this than those that dont (infact I can only name 1 that didn't clearcut everything). This creates silt runoff into creeks and such, and it makes for a less attractive lot. In theory this type of ordinance could preserve trees on older lots (and in commercial areas), which will preserve the character of the area, and it could help to promote clustered developments, which will add more useable greenspace to Greenville's sprawl.

Also, since this is the Upstate Togerther thread, I am moving this to the Upstate section.

However, I also think we should be good stewards of the land. By pushing up every tree in sight, we create other problems, like water runoff, that affect the rights of other property owners as well.

Exactly, what right does someone have to de-value other people's property by filling in creeks, rivers, and causing flooding problems. The flooding issues that are facing certain areas of Greenville are the direct result of letting 'free enterprise' run amock. Your 'property rights' end, where mine begin.

I think it is sad that the government feels like it needs to be involved in something like this, because of developers that cannot/will not police themselves because of greed and profit margins.

Maybe a better way to handle this would be to create incentives for developers to save trees, by reducing some of the impact fees, etc.

I definitely agree with both statements. I'm not familiar with the types and amounts of impact fees in Gville, but I think they mainly relate to water and sewer fees only. Btoy probably knows more about that.

At the public hearing, one developer spoke very articulately about how he grew to respect the tree ordinances in Austin. Too many people view this issue as an all-or-nothing situation. It isn't. Compromise can be found, but not if the county will not even address the issue. To do nothing is to assure more flooding, more sprawl, and a paradise lost.

I disagree. And while I have not acually read the ordinace, this type of ordinance usually says that the trees that are protected are the heritage trees, like those beautiful old oaks. Alot of developers like to clearcut their lots to get money for the trees in order to cut costs, which is fine, but they generally do not save any of the large trees. I see more developments (subdivsions) that do this than those that dont (infact I can only name 1 that didn't clearcut everything). This creates silt runoff into creeks and such, and it makes for a less attractive lot. In theory this type of ordinance could preserve trees on older lots (and in commercial areas), which will preserve the character of the area, and it could help to promote clustered developments, which will add more useable greenspace to Greenville's sprawl.

Also, since this is the Upstate Togerther thread, I am moving this to the Upstate section.

I also know of one project that saved alot of older trees. That project was Magnolia Apartments 2 expansion on Rutherford Road. The developer said it would have been more economical to start with a clean slate. But he couldn't find better trees to plant. It would have taken to long for newly planted trees to grow like that. Now they wished they could have saved more trees in their first phase. :cry:

And by the way those same apts. were annexed into the city not to long ago.

Very thorough report, NYT. Good job. Just for the record, it was Columbus OH, not Chattanooga.

Like you, I thought there wasn't any earth-shattering news. Due to time running out, there was much more time spent on 'problems' and not enough on 'solutions'. I would have liked to hear more on that, and also what the panelist saw in Salt Lake that impressed them so much. However, the effort is certainly a good one, and hopefully, this was the start of great things to come.

I think that if we do intall some umbrella organization that it must be done in such a way that it will work. As it is now we have some regional groups, but each is working to fill its own niche, and not collectively as a regional development organization.

From what I understand, this meeting was to explain the momentum that our region has been gaining, and that we need to get our stugg together now so that we won't become Atlanta.

Did they give any indication as to what the next step is?

Very thorough report, NYT. Good job. Just for the record, it was Columbus OH, not Chattanooga.

Like you, I thought there wasn't any earth-shattering news. Due to time running out, there was much more time spent on 'problems' and not enough on 'solutions'. I would have liked to hear more on that, and also what the panelist saw in Salt Lake that impressed them so much. However, the effort is certainly a good one, and hopefully, this was the start of great things to come.

Thanks vicupstate. I was actually thinking Salt Lake.

I was also surprised to hear that Gianni Longo was part of the vision behind Chattanooga.

I think that if we do intall some umbrella organization that it must be done in such a way that it will work. As it is now we have some regional groups, but each is working to fill its own niche, and not collectively as a regional development organization.

From what I understand, this meeting was to explain the momentum that our region has been gaining, and that we need to get our stugg together now so that we won't become Atlanta.

Did they give any indication as to what the next step is?

One key point was the concept of stewardship. Getting people involved in the process with a sense of pride and passion. I think that many on this board would fit the bill. :shades:

I'm thinking that this was a "test the water" type event. We did not leave there with a charter. I believe that they even stated in the beginning that there would be no outcome. I would guess that they will now follow up with those who checked "yes" to participating in the umbrella group and take it from there.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived