Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

I'm a foodie. I love good food and good drinks to go with it. I figured I'd start a topic for us to talk about local restaurants in the Orlando area, especially downtown.

I wanted to start this because just recently I found Bravissimo, on Shine Ave. I haven't tried it yet, but couldn't believe where it was situated, amoung residential homes. Has anyone tried Bravissimo yet? By looking at the people eating outside, it looked great and had a great wine selection.

I could use all the help I can get in finding more places like this, that are off the beaten path.

When I lived in Atlanta, there was a website called Atlanta Cuisine. It had a huge message board all about eating in Atlanta. Where to find items, spices, produce, whatever to cook with and where to go out to eat. I loved going to that site and found quite a few great restaurants in Atlanta because of it. Places I would have never tried on my own.

Does anyone know if any forum like that exists for Orlando or any place to get good reviews and recommendations on restaurants in Orlando? Thanks!!

I'm a NYer. NY pizza is what I look for in fine lunching :D . One place on central just before u get to summerlin is actually pretty good for a thin NY style slice.

There's one more place I know that actually has awesome pizza. However, its not downtown. Its in the winter park/maitland area just south on lk howell ln off of howell branch rd. Parallel to the west of 436 in the windixie plaza. Its small, but I tell u, the slices are awesome! Brings me back.

off of 192 in kissimme is a place called napoli's. all u can eat italian buffet. Been there once. Awesome italian and seafood.

And if anyone likes chinese, this place off of semoran is another good buffet. I don't usually do buffets, but this is a clean one. 436 toward the airport right across from the saveright supermarket.

all of these but one is not downtown but hey.... when its food... who cares :D

oh... did I mention that arabian nights has the best veggie lazangia dish ever? Never cared for veggie anything but this dish is a must try! Plus, U get a cool show while your at it :thumbsup:

Chinatown Res on Mills has good chinese food.

Hue has the best steak.

Charlie Lobster House on I Drive has good lobster.

California Piazza Kitchen is good too.

San Jose has good and cheap Mexcians.

Yea, I tried the chinese on mills. A bit rude on the service but their chow fun dish is..... YUMMY! I forgive them!

Try the olive gardens pasta with chicken con broccoi dish. The cream sauce is spectacular. Also... TGI Friday's whole chicken breast with rigotini topped with pesto. I haven't had that one in a while so I don't know if thats been changed.

Who'd a thought chain places can have great recepies :thumbsup:

Edited by AirJay78

Personally, I love the Globe for it's food and atmosphere, despite the many incarnations it's gone through. The same goes for Wai-Tiki. I just don't go there on their "club" nights.

Planet Pizza just behind The I-Bar on Washington is good pizza, especially after bar hopping.

Testa Rossa, the new chain from Europe in the Millenia outparcel has good paninis.

Oysters? Lee & Rick's Oyster Bar on Old Winter Garden Road is an awesome dive.

Chinese... there are a few great Chinese eateries in the area, but Jade Bistro in College Park is great. A little pricey on some things, but over all it rocks!

French pastries-- the bakeries from Chefs du France outlet to Anaelle & Hugo (as well as their cart at The Orlando Premium Outlets) and Natura Coffee & Tea by UCF. The best chocolate croissants around. Also, check out their peach tart. Mmm...

The Tap Room at Dubs Dread-- check out their burgers (so I've been told, don't eat beef) Tap Room Fries are amazing as well as their homemade chips with balsamic glaze. Oh yea, there's something that makes their chicken fingers really good too.

Falafel Cafe by UCF-- great Falafel and Gyros. Anyone else know where else to find GOOD falafel around here?

The Earl of Sandwich-- this concept from the chefs of Planet Hollywood needs to run with this concept and open other locations outside of Downtown Disney. The bread is unique on it's own, but their sandwiches... check out the All American (my favorite) with sliced turkey, ranch dressing, american cheddar and topped with cranberry sauce.

Jockamo's-- I've not been to The Crooked Bayou, but Jockamo's is a dietary nightmare (in a good way)... so good, probably not good for me. The Po' Boys are outstanding, go for any combination. I usually do shrimp and gator. The fries have their own special seasoning (of which you can also purchase if asked) and the most unique thing I've ever been surprised by... fried pickle chips! They really are good!

Aight, that's it for now. I have a few more "spots" on my list.

Edited by WeNeed2Progress

My kind of subject! I could talk forver about food, but I'll start with these:

Try Logan's Bistro on Virginia or Blue Bistro on Mills for great food and warm atmospheres. I recently went to Todd English's Blue Zoo which was great too.

Shin Jung on 50 has great Korean, and yes, Bravissomo is worth it!

wow - first post!

bravissimo's is a great little restaraunt, though it's gone downhill from what it used to be. still, the ambiance is great. if bravissimo intruiges you, check out babbos, on edgewater drive. i heard somewhere that the owner is the guy who originally opened bravissimo and i would definitely agree that it's truer to the original intent of bravissimo. in my opinion, it's the best italian in orlando.

as far as pizza goes, does anyone know what happened to midnite pizza on orange ave? it was a dirty little hole-in-the-wall place, but they had the most amaaazing pizza. if you ate in, you couldn't avoid the company of some regular homeless guys who hung out there, but, the pizza was definitely worth it, and it added to the unique ambiance. most authentic and best tasting ny pizza i've had outside of the city.

Jockamo's-- I've not been to The Crooked Bayou, but Jockamo's is a dietary nightmare (in a good way)... so good, probably not good for me. The Po' Boys are outstanding, go for any combination. I usually do shrimp and gator. The fries have their own special seasoning (of which you can also purchase if asked) and the most unique thing I've ever been surprised by... fried pickle chips! They really are good!

Is this cajun? After living in the Atlanta area for a couple of years, I grew to love cajun food. You wouldn't know it, but Atlanta has a good number of cajuns who have moved up from Southern Louisiana and has some of the better cajun places in the country. I have been dying to find a great cajun place in Orlando! I would love to go for a big plate of crawdads with hushpuppies and a gumbeaux.... mmmm.....

I guess we'll just do the "Best of Orlando" type thing.... Here's my list....

Pizza- Alfonso's on Edgewater in College Park

Calzone- O'Stromboli on Corinne in Colonialtown

Italian- Pannullo's on Park Ave. (a lot of people don't like Pannullo's, but I think they have some of the most bold flavored Italian I have ever tried. They do not go lightly on the flavor, especially garlic!)

Cheesesteak- Niccolli's on the corner of Hiawassee and Old Winter Garden

Thai- Thai House on Colonial. (I've tried almost every Thai place in Orlando, this is my favorite.)

Mexican- haven't found one yet. PR's on Fairbanks is good, but isn't Mexican, more Tex Mex.

Best all around- Park Plaza Gardens on Park Ave.

I have much much more... just have to think of them.

Is this cajun? After living in the Atlanta area for a couple of years, I grew to love cajun food. You wouldn't know it, but Atlanta has a good number of cajuns who have moved up from Southern Louisiana and has some of the better cajun places in the country. I have been dying to find a great cajun place in Orlando! I would love to go for a big plate of crawdads with hushpuppies and a gumbeaux.... mmmm.....

Yep! It's quick and good Cajun/ New Orleans style. I forgot to mention they have the best beignets I've tried outside Cafe du Monde's. They're located on Sandlake in an unlikely spot... well, here: http://www.jockamos.com/sandlake.htm Check 'em out! :rolleyes:

Oh yea... if you're strolling down Park Ave one day and want a cozy lunch, check out The Lunch Box. They're just behind what used to be the 2nd location of Chapters. Good food, cheap, and a great hidden outside sitting area. Oh yea, and wicked friendly staff (at least when I've been there).

Yep! It's quick and good Cajun/ New Orleans style. I forgot to mention they have the best beignets I've tried outside Cafe du Monde's. They're located on Sandlake in an unlikely spot... well, here: http://www.jockamos.com/sandlake.htm Check 'em out! :rolleyes:

I'll second the recommendation on Jockamo's. It's not fancy, but has good authentic cajun food. The owners are from New Orleans and they even have crawfish boils when in season. Very friendly people too.

I ate at the Crooked Bayou downtown and it wasn't bad, but seemed to be more of a regular bar / restaurant with a hint of cajun. There's also Lulu's Baitshack at Point Orlando for cajun. Like everything else by I-drive it's a little touristy but not bad. Jockamo's is better by far and less expensive.

Edited by facilities man

Another thumbs up vote for both Bravissimo and LunchBox. Honorable mentions go to Urban Flats (esp for their wines, Winter Park), sushi at Fuji Shushi (also WP). For a steak experience I vote Houston's. For a cheap and yummy lunch you can't go wrong at Stardust. Vietnamese try Ba Le on Mills. For a nice yet uber-trendy experience, check out the new Luma on Park (Park Avenue). And for best pizza, my vote goes to Mellow Mushroom (WP). Winter Park is the place to (b)eat !

Sorry Weneedprogress, I have to mention Disney again.

The Disney restaurant inside Epcot at the Morrocco section was one of the top rated restaurant and the food is fabulous. The price is medium.

Plus, it is International Food and Wine Festival season in Epcot now. Go try out the great food.

wow - first post!

bravissimo's is a great little restaraunt, though it's gone downhill from what it used to be. still, the ambiance is great. if bravissimo intruiges you, check out babbos, on edgewater drive. i heard somewhere that the owner is the guy who originally opened bravissimo and i would definitely agree that it's truer to the original intent of bravissimo. in my opinion, it's the best italian in orlando.

as far as pizza goes, does anyone know what happened to midnite pizza on orange ave? it was a dirty little hole-in-the-wall place, but they had the most amaaazing pizza. if you ate in, you couldn't avoid the company of some regular homeless guys who hung out there, but, the pizza was definitely worth it, and it added to the unique ambiance. most authentic and best tasting ny pizza i've had outside of the city.

midnight pizza is still there, it's next to where the quiznos that burned down was.

The Disney restaurant inside Epcot at the Morrocco section was one of the top rated restaurant and the food is fabulous. The price is medium.

Plus, it is International Food and Wine Festival season in Epcot now. Go try out the great food.

No need to apologize, Sunshine. Hands down, WDW property has some great restaurants... I agree with the Morocco mention if you mean the counter service restaurant; Tangerine Cafe'. Their schwarmas, tabouleh and lentil salad are worth mentioning. If ever in the park on a hot day, check this place out for a light yet flavorful meal. The Restaurant Marrakesh is alright, but for some reason I think the counter service beats the full service!

As mentioned earlier, is amazing, especially the Patisserie... the atmosphere with the outside seating is cool too.

Desserts-- best Tiramisu I've tried in Orlando goes to the Italy dessert and espresso cart. The Tiramisu is rich with espresso, liquor and chocolate.

My favorite buffet in Orlando is Boma: Flavors of Africa in Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge. Hands down, some of the best desserts ever. The food is amazing and is rotated seasonally.

See Sunshine, I'm not anti-Disney--- just over Disney. :huh:

Oh yea, while we're at it... some great BBQ can be found at Flame Tree Barbeque inside Disney's Animal Kingdom. They have their own special recipe for their BBQ sauce and used to sell it. They took my favorite thing off the menu (the chicken sandwich) but at least everything else is still there. With a little complaining it may return (just like the smores returned to the Globe with a few complaints). *If you want a recipe for the BBQ sauce, I have one... a manager handed it to me when I asked her if they'd ever sell it again in the future.

Oh yea, and the PB&J shake from Prime Time Cafe'.

I agree with Morrocco at Epcot. It was surprisingly good. Everyone in my familiy loved the food we had there.

Food is obviously a big thing for us here. I hope more resturaunts and small dinners are incorporated downtown. A nice authentic italian place would be awesome on church street after it is remodeled (whenever that will be). As a matter a fact, it would be awesome if that part of downtown or any other can be turned into a resturaunt row of sorts. Similar to 50 something street on the west side in manhattan.