Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

I have to agree with Wide that SushiMan is the BEST! It's hard to find, but SO worth it.

You'll want to get there around 11:30 or after 2:00 PM though, it's not very big and is packed during these hours.

Wide, have you visited Luma (on Park Ave in Winter Park)? It's new, but very, very good! From what I can gather, I think you'd like it.

I have to agree with Wide that SushiMan is the BEST! It's hard to find, but SO worth it.

You'll want to get there around 11:30 or after 2:00 PM though, it's not very big and is packed during these hours.

Wide, have you visited Luma (on Park Ave in Winter Park)? It's new, but very, very good! From what I can gather, I think you'd like it.

I third the notion on Sushiman... they are great. Not trendy, just pure good sushi. They've been open for years!

Food that could fuel College Park property values

Adair's says its food is Southern-inspired. Take away the 'Southern,' and the assertion is dead on.

Scott Joseph | Sentinel Restaurant Critic

Posted February 19, 2006

College Park hasn't exactly been in need of urban renewal. This neighborhood northwest of downtown Orlando is one of the most desirable places to live, and houses tend to range somewhere between expensive and "they want how much for that little shack?

Orlando Sentinel link

22044424.jpg

^ I recently tried it....was so-so. Nothing spectacular, imho. I was expecting something with a bit more southern flair. The restaurant, however, was beautiful inside.

Interesting... I made it to Adair's soft-opening/trial run (friends with one of the chefs), and was completely blown away by the food. I really thought it compared very well to some of the more upscale restaurants in Charleston. They had a very long delay before opening due to permitting problems (because of parking), so there was some decent staff turnover since I ate there, but I would only imagine that the food and service has gotten better now that they've been open for a while.

There's a lot of pecans and southern veggies woven into the dishes, and the she-crab soup is phenomenal. Also the steak was one of the best I've ever eaten...

• 2 weeks later...

There's a lot of pecans and southern veggies woven into the dishes, and the she-crab soup is phenomenal. Also the steak was one of the best I've ever eaten...

Funny, because that's what I had. BTW, speaking of steaks, The Capital Grille opens next month. YUM.

Edited by tm68

I just noticed a sign in the window of the soon-to-be developed retail area of The Sanctuary advertising what seems to be a "hip" lounge:

http://www.thortonparknightlife.com/

Now if we can get a full fledged restaraunt to complement this in there we'll be all set at this corner!

There was talk of a New Orleans based restaurant opening up in the Sanctuary. Haven't heard anything about that in months.

Actually, last I heard it is a Tunisian restaurant relocating from New Orleans

I think I was the one who "started" the talk of the NOLA restaurant... A realtor selling the sanctuary told me this when I was talking to her a while ago...

I hope it materializes. We need more places to eat downtown!

you must have never had dinner there.....it is worth every penny

I don't know... I've got a buddy who does this a few times a year and says its worth every cent. I just don't see spending that kind of $$$ on food and wine-- not that I haven't done that before. How much better than Norman's and Morton's and Emiril's and former Arthur's and Ruth's and Fleming's and Emmanuel's can this place be?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to let you all know, the City Market Cafe restaurant (former Eola Yacht Club) opened today. They are opened from 7am to 10pm weekdays and to 11pm weekends. You can order breakfast all day!

I ate there for lunch today, and while the scenery/environment is obviously awesome, the price is kinda high and food is so so. It basically a burger/sandwich place. While I am not too excited about the lunch food, I hope it is successful.

it sucks this is not going to be open 24 hours...that was the first plan when they were just talking about opening.

I totally agree. I work out in Celebration and have essentially been living at the Market Street Cafe (formally Max's Cafe) during lunch time for the past 5 years. I tried pushing the 24hrs on them for the downtown Cafe for the past few months. You're right though, they originally talked about going 24hrs initially but scaled it back. We can only hope they will extend the hours as time goes on. It should at least be 24hr on the weekends!!

I ate there today for lunch. Burger was OK. $9 bucks was a little steep for it, buy hey, what the heck. Salmon burger was good. Nice view of the lake while you're eating. I like it.

The prices are just a tad high for what you are getting, but sometimes you gotta pay for the view, right?

Here's one thing that killed me...

large stack of pancakes is 2

short stack of pancakes is 1

That needs to go to Leno.

I ate there today for lunch. Burger was OK. $9 bucks was a little steep for it, buy hey, what the heck. Salmon burger was good. Nice view of the lake while you're eating. I like it.

The prices are just a tad high for what you are getting, but sometimes you gotta pay for the view, right?

Here's one thing that killed me...

large stack of pancakes is 2

short stack of pancakes is 1

That needs to go to Leno.

But it is one HUGE pancake!

Fold it over twice and you've got a nice stack! ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

I drove by Pointe Orlando yesterday and the Maggiano's sign is up. They haven't started building the building yet, but the old Pac-Man Cafe buiding (the building closest to the upside-down house) has been knocked down and the ground is being prepped.

I used to go to the original Maggiano's in Chicago, so I am in heaven. It stinks that it has just become an upscale chain, but I don't care, Maggiano's holds a special place in my... belly. Now I won't have to drive to Tampa to go there. (I work right there, too, so lunch is going to start getting expensive!)

Also, no more getting stuck with Buca Di Beppo!

I drove by Pointe Orlando yesterday and the Maggiano's sign is up. They haven't started building the building yet, but the old Pac-Man Cafe buiding (the building closest to the upside-down house) has been knocked down and the ground is being prepped.

I used to go to the original Maggiano's in Chicago, so I am in heaven. It stinks that it has just become an upscale chain, but I don't care, Maggiano's holds a special place in my... belly. Now I won't have to drive to Tampa to go there. (I work right there, too, so lunch is going to start getting expensive!)

Also, no more getting stuck with Buca Di Beppo!

I was excited when a manager told me about Maggiano's... we're also getting a B.B. King's along with the Tommy Bahama. There was something else, but I've forgotten already. Also, if you work in this area and like Starbucks, the Starbucks at the Pointe is going to move to the I-Drive side for easier access!