Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

30 year WP landmark PR's Taco Palace closes - SunRail noted as the culprit

(From The Chow Hound Himself-Scott Joseph):

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/3965-pr-s-taco-palace-derailed-winter-park-restaurant-closes

The College Park PR's remains open. I will miss the WP one - used to party with the Rollins lads there.

• Like 1

Speaking of landmarks, glad to see Scott J is high on Kres. An awesome atmosphere still reflecting the Deco bones from its dime store days, but filled with furnishings that make it oh so clubby. Scott mentions the flying ladies which were such a trip when a previous tenant opened in 1989. He also recalls the Pebbles days when I was a regular (mmmmm nutty cheesy salad).

Nowadays Kres is a high end steakhouse and I can only visit for special occasions, but it keeps going while the other pretenders downtown disappear (often deservedly} in a  matter of weeks (and though it's sacrilege, yes I much prefer it to La Cantina.)

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/recent-reviews/70-steak/3964-kres-chophouse-2

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 3

On 7/2/2017 at 4:21 PM, spenser1058 said:

So, what do you think? Has Orlando caught up with foodie paradises like New Orleans, Charleston and the like yet?

Orlando Weekly seems to think so:

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/welcome-to-bite-2017/Content?oid=5333655

hahahahahahaha

nooooo and its not even remotely close yet

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

And per Scott Joseph, Spice on Central has closed.

Spice was one of the worst restaurants in one of the potentionally best locations downtown. Let's hope something befitting the space happens. WoB seems to be a keeper in the moderate range so I assume that whatever the former LEYC space becomes will go for a higher price point.

Yeah, that's my feelings too.  I wanted Red Mug to succeed so badly.  I've gone many more times than I would have otherwise just because I think a 24 hour diner is a great thing to have.  But I think the best meal I ever had would rank as "acceptable".  And that's ignoring the not-exactly diner prices.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Spice was one of the worst restaurants in one of the potentionally best locations downtown. Let's hope something befitting the space happens. WoB seems to be a keeper in the moderate range so I assume that whatever the former LEYC space becomes will go for a higher price point.

That has to be one of the best locations by the lake. You would think someone would jump at that spot opening up. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bqknight said:

That has to be one of the best locations by the lake. You would think someone would jump at that spot opening up. 

I don't think it will be on the market very long. Post has told me for years there were in touch with many interested parties and a few months ago they said they were finally moving on from Spice. By the end of the year I bet someone is beginning the permits on it. Going to need to demo like the whole place down.

• Like 1

Your Pie has opened in the bottom floor of Skyhouse. Grand Opening was yesterday. Strangely, the service experience was very smooth for a grand opening (and they hadn't done a public soft opening), so kudos to the management on that.

Pizza was decent and they offer a nice variety of toppings. Some of my friends thought they let the crust get a little too dark, but it didn't bother me. I got a 10" pizza, an order of cheese breadsticks for the table and a drink for $16.

• Like 1

New Moon Market is opening a market where the jeweler was in the Citrus Center 

21 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

Your Pie has opened in the bottom floor of Skyhouse. Grand Opening was yesterday. Strangely, the service experience was very smooth for a grand opening (and they hadn't done a public soft opening), so kudos to the management on that.

Pizza was decent and they offer a nice variety of toppings. Some of my friends thought they let the crust get a little too dark, but it didn't bother me. I got a 10" pizza, an order of cheese breadsticks for the table and a drink for $16.

Have you been to Pizza@ on Central?  Aside from the relative distance between them, how would you compare the two?

11 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Burger Craft is no longer happening at 131 N Orange.

In its place, Fuzzy's Taco Shop.  They have a location in Altamonte Springs...not far from a Burger Craft out there.

Replace one thing we don't need more of with another thing we don't need more of. Wish rich people had more imagination. 

• Like 1

I guess if I have to choose between the two, I'd prefer Fuzzy's.  They have breakfast tacos and margaritas, which have been missing from the core since Chico's closed.  With all the bars/pubs, there's plenty of places to get a decent burger.  But yes, I'd rather neither.  Wouldn't mind seeing another specialty hot dog place like Doghouse.

4 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I guess if I have to choose between the two, I'd prefer Fuzzy's.  They have breakfast tacos and margaritas, which have been missing from the core since Chico's closed.  With all the bars/pubs, there's plenty of places to get a decent burger.  But yes, I'd rather neither.  Wouldn't mind seeing another specialty hot dog place like Doghouse.

Clarifying Question: both Breakfast Tacos and Breakfast Margaritas? If yes, I'll see you there.

• Like 2