Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

Pepe's is too expensive.  But good.  Scott Joseph is bad.

(Actual useful info that isn't included because he's not a journalist even though he acts like one half the time.  They have Taco Tuesday specials where the prices are more reasonable.  $2.99 for a beef or chicken taco (or a Tecate!)  Also a small brunch menu on Sunday mornings of 5 additional items.  The breakfast burrito was one of the biggest I've had in Florida, and equally delicious as their regular menu.  Also you can get bottomless mimosas for $12.99 during brunch.)

• Like 2

I really hope that it works but I just have no faith in that location. Tijuana Flats couldn't make any money there at all and that was a chain with a following and more accessible food to the average person.

Unfortunately places where people don't see parking seem to really struggle in Orlando.

The weird layout and split level floor plan doesn't help with the flow of this place either.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, I think you just have to build a customer base. Hamburger Mary's, Maxine's and even Dexter's Thornton Park all struggled early on, but through word of mouth, social media and just good old customer service do everything they can to keep me coming back. When Mary's first opened, for example, I coordinated monthly lunches for a gay chat board and of course Mary's was a natural choice. The problem was trying to determine how many would show up from an anonymous chat room was worse than herding cats. The folks at Mary's bent over backward to accommodate our numbers whether 5 or 30 showed up and never complained (it helped this was Saturday lunch in the midst of the recession.) That loyalty means they're often my go-to spot. As amazon knows, when you're the default choice, you're usually going to win.

So many other places never really seem to try that hard and for the most part disappear unnoticed within 6 months.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

At the end of the day, I think you just have to build a customer base. Hamburger Mary's, Maxine's and even Dexter's Thornton Park all struggled early on, but through word of mouth, social media and just good old customer service do everything they can to keep me coming back. When Mary's first opened, for example, I coordinated monthly lunches for a gay chat board and of course Mary's was a natural choice. The problem was trying to determine how many would show up from an anonymous chat room was worse than herding cats. The folks at Mary's bent over backward to accommodate our numbers whether 5 or 30 showed up and never complained (it helped this was Saturday lunch in the midst of the recession.) That loyalty means they're often my go-to spot. As amazon knows, when you're the default choice, you're usually going to win.

So many other places never really seem to try that hard and for the most part disappear unnoticed within 6 months.

The Mary's in Orlando has got to be one of the best around, it has really taken on a local, neighborhood vibe.  San Diego's incarnation of Mary's, called Mo's, is also a neighborhood mainstay in Hillcrest.

The same cannot be said about Tampa or Weho.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

The Mary's in Orlando has got to be one of the best around, it has really taken on a local, neighborhood vibe.  San Diego's incarnation of Mary's, called Mo's, is also a neighborhood mainstay in Hillcrest.

The same cannot be said about Tampa or Weho.

They are really amazing. I have heard before that, like you mention, there's not much consistency between the various locations. I've been wanting to go to the new one in Daytona, but I think it belongs to the Tampa folks so that may not bode well.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Agree it takes time. And I think weirdly it was easier for restaurants to make it work during the recession as rents were lower and landlords understood. Now there is competition for nearly every open decent retail spot and everyone wants to open a restaurant so landlords can move on quickly. Like that Square 1 in Winter Park was not even 2 months behind in rent and they kicked them out. That is nuts.

• Like 1

Also, Verde was bad.  And too expensive.  I've complained about food/service maybe 10 times in my life, and that was one of them.

In other news, I went on Loopnet to learn more about that property, first thing that popped up... The Real Estate of Ferg's is for sale?  And Aardvark Beverages?

Edited by AndyPok1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Also, Verde was bad.  And too expensive.  I've complained about food/service maybe 10 times in my life, and that was one of them.

In other news, I went on Loopnet to learn more about that property, first thing that popped up... The Real Estate of Ferg's is for sale?  And Aardvark Beverages?

Good find. I know Fergs owns that building so that isn't a good sign. Cheyenne Saloon building also up for sale. Could just be people taking gains on property value but never like seeing a business become a tenant if they are serious about staying.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2017 at 10:48 AM, AndyPok1 said:

Hey @UngaBungalow, its one thing when you take leads from things we post and do additional journalism like talking to Mark Ferguson.  But today's Aardvark article?  C'mon.  

In defense of Scott J, I'll simply say he is a stickler for good customer service (it's a part of the consulting services he has provided since he left the Sentinel, I believe.)

In addition to his more formal Sentinel reviews (he was their restaurant critic for more than a decade), he did a Friday "Chow Hound" column which stuck to everyday dining.

Even there, he noted that service was routinely lacking. Having spent time in college as a waiter, I agree. Poor service abounds in Orlando (no doubt thanks to the low unemployment rate and the I-Drive "we'll never see these people again" mentality.) It's all the more shocking given how the bulk of our economy is built on the hospitality industry.

Once you've seen great service in action (and remarkably consistently as well) in a place like The Ravenous Pig, it makes you wonder why more places can't do a better job of training their wait staffs. A lot of reviewers are so used to poor service they don't even bother to write about it anymore. I'm glad Scott does even if it's tilting at windmills.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went and didn't really enjoy it.  No pitchers of beer anymore.  Pints were $5 for anything that wasn't Yuengling or Heineken.  And it doesn't affect me personally, but no dogs inside now because they're gonna start serving food at some point.  They're bringing in Gnarly Barley to do food during NFL games as a hold-over.

Obviously the old business model wasn't working, but there's not really any reason for me to go out of my way to go to Burton's now.  It's just a normal bar.

I quite like the North Quarter Tavern (or NQ Tavern or NQT as we shall). That is closest to me and serve good beers and good but ridiculously rich and large portions of food. Sometimes I jus[t stop in for a couple of beers and an App because I can't handle the full meal! 

It isn't exactly downtown, but has a great low key vibe, great kitchen, and great service. Worth checking out! 

Edited by dcluley98

Not really meant to be snickery (which I don't even think is a word?  Even if it was, an adverb form of a sly laugh doesn't really make sense in context).

I love Gnarly Barley, and try to go there whenever it's moderately convenient.  Hell, two years ago I made my birthday a Sunrail crawl and we went southbound to GB.  The signs are referring to it as a "pop-up" stop, so there's no indication that is what the permanent kitchen is going to be.  That's exciting news if so.

Don't get me wrong, I love liquor, and adding it is a good thing.  But 90% of my times at Burtons were spent with friends bullcrapting and ordering rounds of pitchers.  The lack of liquor made it unique in the immediate vicinity.  Now there was live music and no pitchers and no specials outside of a single craft IPA can.  It's just a different bar, and one that doesn't really offer anything to attract me there.  I'll go to Casey's and get a stiff pour, or if I want decent prices and food, Hideaway, or Johnny's depending on the side of town.

Once Gnarly opens a kitchen full time, then that'll be a different story.