Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

3 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

According to their FB page, Market on Magnolia should be opening anytime now if not already.    

9/4/17: "Open next week"

It wasn't open as of Monday and the brown paper covering the windows was still up. I'm assuming the Hurricane didn't help. 

Jax's Thorton Park is now open though. 

38 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

It seems Jax opened up without any training. Real pet peeve of mine when a place shows no interest in providing good or even passable service. It isn't hard to be nice.

On a positive note looking like Spice space will be leased soon and to one of the best restaurant groups possible in this area.

Ohhh, that second nugget has me excited. There are 3-4 Restaurant groups that come to mind when someone says that...maybe just a hint?!

With restaurant spaces available at the Spice location, 420 East Church, Citi Tower, and soon Modera, I'm eager to see if any of them can replicate the apparent success of Artisan's Table or Kasa. I wouldn't mind a few more lunch options within walking distance of work.

Speaking of lunch, I got a group of coworkers to join me for lunch at Dove Cote (try the fried chicken if you can). We took Lymmo there, which was convenient and most people's first time on Lymmo (or any bus in Orlando). 

4 hours ago, alex said:

We took Lymmo there, which was convenient and most people's first time on Lymmo (or any bus in Orlando). 

How was the ride quality of the new Lymmo?

Years ago I convinced a friend to ride the Lymmo, but the combination of harsh turns and jarring bumps made the ride extremely uncomfortable. My friend ended up getting motion sickness so we had to get off early otherwise she was going to :sick:. I don't think we had any drinks in us either.

I didn't notice a difference between old and new, or maybe we just caught an "old" Lymmo. We took the Orange line from the library up Magnolia and took a left at the courthouse to get off at the BoA building. It was a pretty straight shot with no crazy turns, so a pretty smooth ride over all. 

On 9/14/2017 at 10:08 AM, bqknight said:

Ohhh, that second nugget has me excited. There are 3-4 Restaurant groups that come to mind when someone says that...maybe just a hint?!

And just like that things change. I had heard Park Lights (Prato, Luma) was going in but they changed their mind and walked away. Downtown has a stigma unfortunately.

I guess I can talk about it but sitting on a committee that is working to lower the restaurant liquor license space and seating requirements like Jax did. If successful it will help change that stigma and get some good stuff downtown. City planned to propose it in the past but the state yanked them around but this year they feel good about it. Would be a good start for downtown restaurants and hopefully over time get less strict.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Scott Joseph reports the OC Legislative Delegation unanimously supported a plan to allow Downtown small dining establishments to qualify for full liquor service, one of the proposals of the DTO planning meetings last year. It moves to the full FL House - local bills such as this with support of the delegation often have an excellent chance of passing.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4057-city-seeks-liquor-license-exemption-for-newly-designated-downtown-dining-area

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This isn't what I'd describe as "foodie" news, but I found it amusing in a random sort of way.

There's a long-vacant sliver of a storefront at the westernmost edge of the Publix shopping center at Curry Ford & Conway Roads. A sign recently went up proclaiming a December 2017 opening for an Outback Steakhouse & Carraba's "Express" location. I looked it up and sure enough this is a new model for these otherwise traditional casual restaurants wherein there's no dining space, just a kitchen with a counter, focusing on take-out, delivery, and catering.

With the rising popularity of food delivery services, this actually seems like a pretty brilliant way for existing brands to play in that space without having to build full restaurants in areas that otherwise might not warrant them. It also (assumedly) could relieve some of the to-go burden on nearby full restaurants so they can focus on in-house diners.

http://www.outbackandcarrabbasexpress.com

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Scott Joseph notes the passing of Rossi's on OBT, one of the oldest restaurants in town (hang in there, La Cantina and Lee & Rick's!)

He also notes Craig Ustler is closing North Quarter Tavern, Craig's latest move out of the restaurant business as he concentrates on development:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4176-millenia-106-closed-north-quarter-tavern-closing-rossi-s-too

BTW, Nikki's Place in Parramore, which has some of the best soul food and Southern cooking in town, has reopened after the fire which closed them down for waaaaay too long. I am pleased to report my first visit since they reopened and it's better than ever!

http://nikkisplace.net/

3 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Damn, I liked NQT.  One of the better restaurants in my area. 

Agreed. HOWEVER, I believe they recently changed chefs and the last time I went there the food wasn't as good in my opinion, most of my table seemed to agree. Still notes that a Neighborhood Pub will be there, so it may not change much to be honest. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bqknight said:

Agreed. HOWEVER, I believe they recently changed chefs and the last time I went there the food wasn't as good in my opinion, most of my table seemed to agree. Still notes that a Neighborhood Pub will be there, so it may not change much to be honest. 

The management team behind Chillers is taking over the space.  Given their success and longevity in the Orlando restaurant scene, this could be a good sign for the future success of NQ.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...