Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

• 2 months later...

Significantly less excited after finding out who is behind this project. Hopefully they have learned their lesson from their other places closing.

"The great thing about franchising is that it gives just about anyone (after a financial vetting) the chance to make good of someone else’s idea. In the case of Terry and Jackie Chan, 36 and 41, respectively, make that three ideas.

The Orlando-based couple has signed franchise agreements with Rodizio Grill, Buffalo Wings and Things and Boardwalk Fries Burgers Shakes. They did so while raising $10 million from foreign investors.

Their investment capital flowed through the Employment Fifth Preference (EB-5), a 26-year-old program administered by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. According to USCIS’s website, EB-5 “is reserved for business investors who invest $500,000 to $1 million in a new business that will create or maintain at least 10 full-time U.S. workers within two years.” In return, investors and their families become eligible for green cards. Investment from China dominates. "

Let's just say their stab at running franchises didn't turn out so well.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/buffalo-wings-and-rings-orlando
https://www.yelp.com/biz/boardwalk-fresh-burgers-and-fries-orlando

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:35 PM, Mark Baratelli said:

orlando's signature dish was announced by visit orlando. Faiyaz's take on it and what he thinks it should be is a funny read. https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/12/07/and-orlandos-signature-dish-is

I actually agree...why not the turkey leg. It doesn't have to be glamorous, just popular. Look at Philly 

BTW what in the hell is honey nougat glace??

I just walked by this restaurant in Winter Park and saw a small sign to let people know they are the home of the areas signature fare.  

The whole thing was silly and maybe the best part is it was all done so terribly and in such an echo chamber that no one really remembers that it happened.

• Like 2

This is a big problem when a signature dish doesn't grow organically. 

The Philly Cheesesteak, NY pizza slice, Juicy Lucy (Minneapolis), Chicago-style deep dish pizza, Cincinnati chili,  Po' Boys (New Orleans),  Jersey Pork Rolls, Maryland Crab Cakes, Half-Smoke (DC), Boston Clam Chowder, and ON AND ON AND ON AND ON all just happened because people liked those things.

Honey nougat glacé = fail.  It doesn't even have a catchy name like the O-Town Nougster or the Orlando O-MY-OH.  If you have to explain your signature item in complex terms, it sucks.

• Like 2

Scott J gives us an update on Claddagh Cottage and why silly liquor laws and yet another Walgreens (if we end up with as many Walgreens as 7-Elevens, would that be a Balance of Terror? Could there be war? Maybe only Trekkies know...) have made us wait so long:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4284-a-wee-wait-more-for-claddagh-cottage-opening

(Thankfully , the red door is still there but it hasn't turned into a Merle Norman - I'd rather have a pint of Guinness than a makeover but my neighbors might disagree.)

From YouTube

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2018 at 1:48 PM, spenser1058 said:

Scott J gives us an update on Claddagh Cottage and why silly liquor laws and yet another Walgreens (if we end up with as many Walgreens as 7-Elevens, would that be a Balance of Terror? Could there be war? Maybe only Trekkies know...) have made us wait so long:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4284-a-wee-wait-more-for-claddagh-cottage-opening

(Thankfully , the red door is still there but it hasn't turned into a Merle Norman - I'd rather have a pint of Guinness than a makeover but my neighbors might disagree.)

From YouTube

Figures.  Now that I don't drink anymore, there are several nice little pubs and taverns within walking distance of where I live. <_<

The issue surrounding the proximity to the... ahem.... "church".... is what those public variance hearings that I posted a couple of weeks ago were about.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Scott J was seriously underwhelmed by California Tortilla at 55W:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/recent-reviews/72-tex-mex/4326-california-tortilla

I went there for the free burrito. It wasn't bad but nothing to get excited about. Glad I got it free. 

I suppose that if, because of the location, they can do a good lunch business with all the downtown workers and condo dwellers and possibly a decent dinner business on weekends, they could possibly eek out an existence there for a while.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

If you have under 4 stars on Yelp I'm not bothering. Its hard to be below 4.

Not sure I like what AT is doing, that space has sat empty for years for a reason.

In Orlando that is true. Yelp is my guiding light and usually 4 stars is my limit. There are a few places here and there that have lower but it's usually because they started off slow or something. 

In NYC its actually quite hard to find places that are above 3.5. I take 3.5 as good there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1