Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

34 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

With breweries popping up on every corner - does anyone know about Orange Blossom Brewing and why they haven’t established a physical storefront here?  I think they brew in SC but am surprised they haven’t “hopped” on the trend here 

Oooooh, "hopped." Well played, sir.

Back in the day, OPB could not find anyone locally that could brew to the scale he needed so he found a contract brewer in SC. A few years ago he entered an agreement with Brewhub in Lakeland. So technically, he is "local".

Edited by AmIReal
sp

Market on Magnolia: Gnarley Barley has closed and will open in Thornton Park at the food hall type place there.

The Market already has a new booth lined up (noodle place) but is this a bad sign for it?  I haven’t been so I have no idea 

13 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Market on Magnolia: Gnarley Barley has closed and will open in Thornton Park at the food hall type place there.

The Market already has a new booth lined up (noodle place) but is this a bad sign for it?  I haven’t been so I have no idea 

I'd say no. It's been packed almost anytime I walk by. Gnarley Barley did seem to always be the least busy though. 

Jimmy Hulas coming to The Basement for an express concept.   Awesome food - wasn’t expecting this until UCF opened.

Bungalower article mentions they’ll have some Valkrie and Foxtail inclusions...I don’t get that.   Just be yourselves man 

Latest needless gimmick:

The Orlando Weekly reports that a members-only coffee bar will soon open.

I am a coffee lover.  Coffee is a pretty simple concept.  Blue Bottle, Stumptown and La Columbe just make really good coffee with no frills.  They don't need gimmicks.

Orlando actually has a great coffee place.  I've professed my love for Lineage before.  Lineage don't need gimmicks.  It just makes really good coffee that compares favorably to anywhere nationwide. 

This new members-only club is really stupid.  It's another example of adding layers of pretentious, phony sophistication to a simple idea.  

Just my two thoughts.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:20 PM, spenser1058 said:

Scott J confirms that Hampton Social, whose only current locations are in Chicago, is coming to Pointe Orlando:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4398-hampton-social-confirmed-for-pointe-orlando

Isn't that concept odd?  A ocean seafood place based somewhere with no ocean seafood?

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Isn't that concept odd?  A ocean seafood place based somewhere with no ocean seafood?

Maybe not - The first Red Lobster was in Lakeland and the headquarters is here and we don't have an ocean either (at least until global warming kicks in!)

Can you imagine the Bithlo Beachfront Bungalows!?!

Edited by spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Maybe not - The first Red Lobster was in Lakeland and the headquarters is here and we don't have an ocean either (at least until global warming kicks in!)

Can you imagine the Bithlo Beachfront Bungalows!?!

I know the history of Red Lobster was something about Mr. Darden wanted a non-coastal seafood restaurant.  HOWEVER, calling Orlando or Lakeland not close to the ocean is one thing here in Orlando.  If you ask someone in Chicago, though, I think Orlando or Lakeland would be plenty close enough to be considered close to the ocean.  I mean, I can have my foot in the Atlantic in less than 40 minutes.  Try that in Chicago or Nebraska or Montana.

I'm banking on my roughly 115'-125' above sea level place to be waterfront soon enough!  Bithlo-schmithlo, I want Christmas in the Sand to be a thing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Orlando-based Bento Cafe is hoping to double the number of units it has in the next year. Also, the article notes the new Bento coming to Mills/50 on Colonial Drive will be the chain's flagship:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-cfb-bento-group-cafe-restaurants-20180815-story.html

From the Sentinel

6 hours ago, Mark Baratelli said:

PDQ is open Sundays but their chicken tastes like a Monday. (rim shot?) PDQ's PR person told me Chik Fil A uses MSG. Has anyone else heard this? 

There was a bit of a stink about C-F-A using MSG a few years ago.  I know some mommy groups got C-F-A to make a bunch of changes and remove some dyes from their foods.  I think they removed a few chemicals, too.

OFF TO THE GOOGLE-COPTER

https://www.chick-fil-a.com/Menu-Items/Chick-fil-A-Chicken-Sandwich   (lists monosodium glutamate)

I think this *may* be the item I mentioned above, but I thought it was moms, not a random food blogger.

https://foodbabe.com/breaking-news-chick-fil-a/

On the totally different anti-GMO topic mentioned by that blogger, I find it hard to get behind hating something that saves millions of lives and (at least so far there is zero evidence) has taken none.  If GMO corn can be drought tolerant, pest averse, and higher yielding which means that millions of starving people actually get to eat food then I'm not so worried about Buffy and her precious Snowflake thinking it is evil when absolutely nothing bad is happening to them as a result.

People have been genetically modifying food sources since life began.  If red whateverberries grow bigger than blue whateverberries and fill you up more with the same basic tastes, people weeded out the blue ones and grew red ones.  If they found out that by cross-breeding the red/blue to make purple whateverberries, they lasted longer on their tables, made them feel stronger, and fed more of their children the new normal would be purple whateverberries.  It is what we do.  We've naturally done it with bananas, potatoes, tomatoes, apples, and basically most fruits and vegetables.  Then SHOCKER we learned how to do it more accurately/faster with machines.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/23/well/eat/are-gmo-foods-safe.html

Edited by HankStrong
  • Like 1

I always wonder if the GMO folks slept through the Gregor Mendel part of biology class. Heaven knows there's lots of pesticides and such to worry about for both us and the animals in the food chain  (not to mention overuse of antibiotics), but the GMO thing escapes me.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1