Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

I'm part Japanese but was raised on traditional American fare, and fresh Vietnamese is my favorite. :-) What I don't like about Chinese is the fried foods. I probably haven't had good Chinese.

Oh, I take that back. I had some delicious Chinese in NYC's Chinatown a few years ago. I sat at a table of six with five others dining alone -- all of whom had ties to Florida. We had fun watching the handbag sales people open and close their shops as cops came and went.

While on the subject, nothing beats great dim sum. I know Ming Court on I-Drive does a pretty good dim sum - anyone know of a good place in town that isn't as touristy?

I just wanted to say that PF Changs just got their 3rd strike last night. I have eaten there 2 times already and both times they suck. I am pretty sure they have their market based on image. The only reason I went last night is because one of my sister's gave me a gift card to their place. They absolutely suck.

I should know better than to go to a chain Chinese restaurant when I can just head down to the Little Saigon area and get fresh Vietnamese all day for half the price. On a happy note, my dog enjoyed her dinner last night. And since I still have 25 bucks on a gift card, she's gonna get another meal all to herself soon.

I don't know if I have already asked this, but does anyone know of a decent Chinese restaurant near either downtown Orlando or Winter Park??

For decent American-Style Chinese I usually go to Jum-Bo's in the Whole Food's plaza on Aloma. They have been there for like 25 years and their food is consistently very good. If you like Thai, try The Thai Place in the K-Mart shopping center across the street from the Winter Park Village.

The short-lived Market Street cafe has a sign in the window that says "coming soon-Spice" - which just so happens to have a new location on Park Ave in Winter park. It is a modern steakhouse and the one in WP looked pretty good (though expensive).

I just wanted to say that PF Changs just got their 3rd strike last night. I have eaten there 2 times already and both times they suck. I am pretty sure they have their market based on image. The only reason I went last night is because one of my sister's gave me a gift card to their place. They absolutely suck.

I should know better than to go to a chain Chinese restaurant when I can just head down to the Little Saigon area and get fresh Vietnamese all day for half the price. On a happy note, my dog enjoyed her dinner last night. And since I still have 25 bucks on a gift card, she's gonna get another meal all to herself soon.

I don't know if I have already asked this, but does anyone know of a decent Chinese restaurant near either downtown Orlando or Winter Park??

I wonder what is different about PF Changs in Florida? I've been several times in NoVA (Northern Virginia) and in Columbia, MD (between DC and Baltimore) -- both of these very good. I'm not a big Chinese food fan (ate traditional american chinese food too much while growing up), but I love PF Changes. A new one just opened in DT Baltimore at the Inner Harbor where I now live. I have yet to check this one out.

I wonder what is different about PF Changs in Florida? I've been several times in NoVA (Northern Virginia) and in Columbia, MD (between DC and Baltimore) -- both of these very good. I'm not a big Chinese food fan (ate traditional american chinese food too much while growing up), but I love PF Changes. A new one just opened in DT Baltimore at the Inner Harbor where I now live. I have yet to check this one out.

i think what most people argue is you shouldn't have to pay that much for chinese food. especially when there are some really inexpensive and quite good asian flavors down in little siagon.

no offense, but imho, pf changs is a restaurant for those who aren't as exposed to as much culture as others; as are most huge national chains regardless of cuisine type. but then again, i grew up in orlando and moved to seattle which is pretty much the best city in america for mid-priced non-chain restaurants, so it really opened my eyes to the fact that there are so many other eating establishments out there that are better. then of course also having the privilage to travel to many parts of asia, i got to experience asian cuisine at its origin which made it much more evident that big chain american asian food kinda sucks. therefore, i just choose to never go back to big chain eating unless i have to.

of course, there is always the age-old formula... if you see a lot asian people eating in a certain asian restaurant and not another, there is probably a good reason. :shades:

PF Changs is overrated. I have never had good food there. But it took me 5 attempts before I realized it. I been to Forbidden City and the Buffet on Michigan and Orange. I would not call it gourmet but when you pay 6-7 bucks, why complain. You pay more at PF's and get less.

I'm not a food connoisseur but I happen to really like the Chinese food from Lotus Garden in the Dr. Phillips Marketplace. I might have only eaten inside the restaurant once or twice but over the course of my ~16 year stint in Orlando, I must have gotten their delivery at least 50 times.

• 2 weeks later...

Anything will do. Just curious as to what's available to the public and what's not.

Pretty much everything is available to the public.

With the exception of Manuel's on the 28th (in the BOA building) everything is on street level.

anyone eaten at DISH in tampa? is there anything like that here?

from these restaurants which has the best food , atmosphere, overall experience (in that order)? : Hue, Kres, Beacon, Luma, Normans,Graze,Citrus, District 5, Bola.

While I don't eat there enough, I think LUMA is probably the best for food, atmosphere and overall experience. Just sucks it's in WP and not downtown. Hue is always reliably good and usually quite the "scene." I'm a gin martini guy, and at Hue, the servers/bartenders pour birdbath-size martinis in super chilled glasses. Then every 10 minutes or so they refresh your "warm" glass with a fresh cold one, even giving you new olives (and they have blue cheese stuffed olives which are so damn good). A very nice (and appreciated) touch.

I've eaten at Graze twice and am so far not that impressed. The chef really, REALLY seems to be into the Chinese 5-spice thing. The chicken fried rice was so "5-spicy" I almost got nauseated, :sick: and I like 5-spice! Can't remember what I had last time, but it too was loaded with 5-spice. I am going to give them a few more months to work through their kinks before I give them one more try. I have yet to hit District 5 - is that any good? I keep forgetting that place exists when making my plans. And why does nobody ever seem to mention Beluga in WP Village? I love that place and it's usually busy. Another good choice in my book and their bar is tops.

Edited by corpkid

Beluga is awesome, i agree

anyone try citrus yet...how is the vibe there?

I went there Wednesday for lunch. I had the bleu cheese burger with some fries that I never heard of. Tasted like regular fries though. I was stuffed after the meal and the bread they surved had this garlic butter that was really good. I was in and out in less then an hour. IT seemed that the food came as soon as I ordered.

if anybody likes thai.....check out Sea Thai on corner of Herndon Ave. and Colonial. Great ambiance, food, price, and their services make you want to come back for more.

I think that I went to the wrong Sea Thai because my experience was slightly different. The ambiance, I agree was nice. As were the plates, but my server was new which isin't a crime but waiting 10 minutes for drinks and 20 to clear my empty plates is (ok, not really). For the money (IMO) you can't beat Thai House or Napasorn who, by the way doesn't do sushi anymore :blink:

I think that I went to the wrong Sea Thai because my experience was slightly different. The ambiance, I agree was nice. As were the plates, but my server was new which isin't a crime but waiting 10 minutes for drinks and 20 to clear my empty plates is (ok, not really). For the money (IMO) you can't beat Thai House or Napasorn who, by the way doesn't do sushi anymore :blink:

Please do give give them a try again. They may just open for business when you ate there? The two main lady waitresses were very courteous and always smiling, and very soft spoken. The other place i recommend is Thai Cafe on Magnolia across the postal service (open for lunch only). Try their seafood fried rice. As for Thai House and Napasorn (which i can walk to), I had several bad experiences/services that makes me not want to support their businesses.

On a side note, does anyone think having a vietnamese soup and noodle restaurant in downtown (thornton park) will be successful? Most restaurant in downtown or either pizza, sushi, or american fusion (graze, hue, etc.). Thanks for your input.

Please do give give them a try again. They may just open for business when you ate there? The two main lady waitresses were very courteous and always smiling, and very soft spoken. The other place i recommend is Thai Cafe on Magnolia across the postal service (open for lunch only). Try their seafood fried rice. As for Thai House and Napasorn (which i can walk to), I had several bad experiences/services that makes me not want to support their businesses.

On a side note, does anyone think having a vietnamese soup and noodle restaurant in downtown (thornton park) will be successful? Most restaurant in downtown or either pizza, sushi, or american fusion (graze, hue, etc.). Thanks for your input.

I went last night. The waitress was very nice. Slow, but nice.

Noodle restaurant: I can get down with that. Besides not having a grocery store the lack of dining options in the CBD is my biggest gripe. I eat out literally seven days a week, lunch and dinner. At that rate you run out of options real quick.