Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

I went last night. The waitress was very nice. Slow, but nice.

Noodle restaurant: I can get down with that. Besides not having a grocery store the lack of dining options in the CBD is my biggest gripe. I eat out literally seven days a week, lunch and dinner. At that rate you run out of options real quick.

i was there last nite too, funny. Around 830ish though......we may have ran into each other.

6:00pm

Ever had that noodle house right there by the old Just For Feet? Never tried it myself.

Pho Hoa on Primrose behind Total Wine that has sign that reminds me of Starbucks? Typical vietnamese fare, extensive menu though, reasonable prices, food, clean, big inside. Nothing though that stands out from the other Orlando vietnamese places.

The other place i recommend is Thai Cafe on Magnolia across the postal service (open for lunch only). Try their seafood fried rice.

I like them as well. My office is on that block and I hate taking too much time for lunch. They usually have my food ready in 10 minutes. I keep getting the curry. I'm a sucka for that coconut milk.

anyone eaten at DISH in tampa? is there anything like that here?

[was this post moved?]

FYI, Dish went out of business about six months ago. There were only ever two locations; Ybor City and BayWalk in St. Petersburg.

I was with friends in the Ybor City location when the owner came in one Saturday and fired the staff on the spot and put the 'closed' signs up. We did get a free meal though...well, 3/4 of a meal.

As for the "concept" yeah, they are everywhere; it's called Mongolian barbeque.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to La Cucina on Mills Ave, near the intersection of Marks St., last night and it was fabulous. Bring your own wine and they will pour it with an $8 charge, that's the only thing I didn't like. That shouldn't be more than $5, but it still beats paying $30 for a $8 bottle of wine at other places.

The steak was great, and the pork tenderloin with figs and blue cheese was amazing (that's what I had).

Also, if they have bread pudding that night, try it. It's great!

Here's their website.

http://www.lacucinaorlando.com

If they don't have wine there, I could see a small startup using this method to get around procuring a liquor license.

Correct, they don't have a license yet.

But, some places will let you do this and will usually charge a few dollars for a "corking fee". I'm sure smaller, local, places are much more likely to do this. Just call and ask. Honestly, at La Cucina it made it a lot more enjoyable. We love wine but can't stand the outrageous prices that places charge for sub-par wine. I brought a great bottle of wine and paid only a few dollars more, instead of a fortune. We really enjoyed it.

Correct, they don't have a license yet.

But, some places will let you do this and will usually charge a few dollars for a "corking fee". I'm sure smaller, local, places are much more likely to do this. Just call and ask. Honestly, at La Cucina it made it a lot more enjoyable. We love wine but can't stand the outrageous prices that places charge for sub-par wine. I brought a great bottle of wine and paid only a few dollars more, instead of a fortune. We really enjoyed it.

My favorite Cuban restaurant a few years back was El Bohio on Dahlia Drive in Azalea Park and they used to let you bring your own wine or beer, there was an ABC right there at one time.

My favorite Cuban restaurant a few years back was El Bohio on Dahlia Drive in Azalea Park and they used to let you bring your own wine or beer, there was an ABC right there at one time.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but there is going to be a Cuban restaurant going in on Orange Avenue called Roho. I think it is funny, because the logo is a red circle with roho in the middle. In Spanish, it should be rojo, but they obviously changed the spelling so we English speakers don't butcher it. I can't wait for cafe con leches and pastalitos and papas and croquetas and cafe cubanos.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but there is going to be a Cuban restaurant going in on Orange Avenue called Roho. I think it is funny, because the logo is a red circle with roho in the middle. In Spanish, it should be rojo, but they obviously changed the spelling so we English speakers don't butcher it. I can't wait for cafe con leches and pastalitos and papas and croquetas and cafe cubanos.

que son cafe cubanos?

que son cafe cubanos?

espresso with a little milk and LOTS of sugar cooked into it. you see people in miami drinking them all the time in little white plastic shot cups. they are delicious and addictive. :thumbsup:

They are usually made on the stovetop in one of these...

cafeterasmall.jpg

Edited by bulldogger

espresso with a little milk and LOTS of sugar cooked into it. you see people in miami drinking them all the time in little white plastic shot cups. they are delicious and addictive. :thumbsup:

They are usually made on the stovetop in one of these...

cafeterasmall.jpg

my boyfriend's brazillian family bought one of these for me for christmas . . . ya boil water and sugar in one pan and then pour that goodness over a finely ground espresso (i use illy medium roast). let it bloom while filtering through a melitta cone filter and let it slowly manually drip. worth the wait, heaven in my mouth--two cups and i'm very happy to go to work!

"Friends" on Mills near Virginia is fantastic. I just got back from there and I can't say enough. The prices are great and the food is delicious. Their menu has something for everyone. Sandwiches to steaks. My wife got a gorgonzola stuffed pasta with beef tips and it was delicious. Those little gorgonzola pastas were insane. Mmmm...

To top it off, we had some "Chocolate Whopper Cake". Wow. They mix in malted milk balls with the icing and it's pretty darn good.

Between La Cucina last week and Friends this week, it looks like I can just eat right on Mills from now on. Another great experience.

"Friends" on Mills near Virginia is fantastic. I just got back from there and I can't say enough. The prices are great and the food is delicious. Their menu has something for everyone. Sandwiches to steaks. My wife got a gorgonzola stuffed pasta with beef tips and it was delicious. Those little gorgonzola pastas were insane. Mmmm...

To top it off, we had some "Chocolate Whopper Cake". Wow. They mix in malted milk balls with the icing and it's pretty darn good.

Between La Cucina last week and Friends this week, it looks like I can just eat right on Mills from now on. Another great experience.

I haven't ventured in there, but I did notice they have a special on crab legs.

have any of you eaten at "numero uno" on south orange avenue? i went there for the first time last night, although they've been around since 1978. it was the best cuban food i've ever had. the seasoning was perfect. yum!

Numero Uno is excellent and their homemade sangria is awesome! I think Habana Grill on Aloma has taken their place as my favorite Cuban food, though!

I haven't ventured in there, but I did notice they have a special on crab legs.

I'm actually right about to go over there for the crab legs special on Tuesdays, $12.99 for all-you-can-eat. Can't beat the price.

Somebody mentioned Mexican. Garibaldi, near the corner of Semoran and Colonial is my favorite.