Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

anyone eat at the Dan Marino Tavern at Metrowest?

not at the MW location. . .but i ate there YEARS ago when it was at pointe orlando

i really can't tell you if i liked it or not, though that probably means it was a less than memorable experience. i do remember it wasn't particularly cheap though.

not at the MW location. . .but i ate there YEARS ago when it was at pointe orlando

i really can't tell you if i liked it or not, though that probably means it was a less than memorable experience. i do remember it wasn't particularly cheap though.

Agree - ate at the pointe orlando location several times and it was akin to Ruby Tuesdays or another "casual" restaurant. Quite average, IMO.

I believe the location out in Veranda Park has now lost the Dan Marino name and the owners are taking the restaurant in a different direction. I believe I had read this happening within the last week or two.

Ditto with everything being said about Bento. Its a great addition to the area. (may save me some car trips to Pei Wei!).

Not sure whats going to happen with Brick and Fire. the food is pretty good, just wish it stayed Absinthe, i know its the same owners, but I really like that place, too bad.

Rustic Steakhouse (from the owners of Spice - which i love, especially the new downtown one on Central), will be comming along in the old Improv space, so a steakhouse will be in the area, but you are right about atmosphere in Brick and Fire, especially the downstairs, its a cool space, but pizza and casual italian seems a bit ordinary for it, again, wish it stayed Asbsinthe! (i know i know, a broken record...)

So what about this Cool Blue Burritto soon to open in the Plaza, (anyone heard of it?, is it good and how will it stand out from Pancheros just up the street from it)?

I had lunch at O'Naturals on Central (the old H&R Block bldg.), seems after months of being "open", meaning just having coffee, they are really open now. Surprisingly the sandwich i had was really good. The atmosphere is still a bit off though, especially with the whole separatation of businesses almost within, the City Java coffee bar, Hagen daz, and O'Naturals lunch.

and I guess Hamburger Mary's is comming along (i think), anyone have any news on this?

went to bento today for lunch, if you are in the mood for soup... i recommend the chicken katsu udon noodle soup! yum :D

never heard of the cool blue burrito ...where is it suppose to go in the plaza? i havent seen signs of it yet...

im excited about hamburger marys...the less expensive fast casual places seem to do real well downtown for both lunch and dinner!

so a steak place from the makers of spice eh? its got some competition next door at ceviche...even though its a different cuisine...the food there is sooooo awesome! but yay to more food places downtown, ESPECIALLY in the main church street area where nothing has been the past few years!

has anyone heard any feedback about the new cheyenne saloon? i've heard radio commercials advertising it as a very country bar/dance place ... a la 8seconds...the ambiance seems to appeal to a 30 and up country loving crowd (which i have no problem with...) but are enough of them going to continually go there? i think someone said opening night they had 500 in attendance for the lonestar concert... decent but not great for opening night...

i've seen that onaturals place, are they trying to stay open late at night? if so...that may be where their business may be the most...its so close to the clubs that im sure a lot of the after clubbers want somewhere to sober up... well atleast hope they are getting some sort of business..its a neat looking building...but yea definitely detached from any other food establishments

been to dessert lady twice in the last two weeks on fridays and its been steady there...and since im a little bitter about the service we had at brick &fire...i peek in to check the business in there...and its still the same... no matter how much business is open around it

I like O'Naturals. I had Udon with teriyaki a week ago and it was nice to sit outside and enjoy some fresh air while not being directly on a sidewalk.

I tried Bento tonight. 2.22 for 2 beers and 2.22 for sushi rolls. The rice was overcooked, which is exactly the opposite of what I experienced the one time I went to Ichiban. Rice being overcooked by a rice machine means that the person making it put too much water in it. It's really simple. You measure the rice and fill to the corresponding line with water. The place was packed and I waited about 30 minutes to order, which is a lot considering they are cafeteria style and I had to stand the whole time. Considering the special that ran tonight and it was their formal grand opening, I can definitely overlook the wait. Once my order was placed, though, the sushi came out within 5 minutes. The spicy tuna, which is one of my favorites, was really bad. It was a tuna roll with a spicy sauce added on top. If you like spicy tuna, Bikkuri on Colonial, is good and my favorite is Ran Getsu on I-drive. Bikkuri uses a Thai style spicy hot peanut oil mixed with the tuna. The Ran Getsu version uses wasabi and a small amount of mayo mixed with tuna. The California roll, which really isn't sushi, had too much roe on top. The other rolls that I had were average. I assume the nigiri would be fine (if they don't overcook the rice). I will go back and try a rice bowl (probably the bulgogi since my favorite Korean place closed over a year ago) and maybe some Udon. I was not impressed my first time out, but I'm part Japanese, so I'm very particular about my sushi.

I can't go to Bikkuri anymore, and it saddens me. It's right up the street from my house and it is reasonable, but I swear they put something on their fish to keep the color... or something.

It isn't every time, but a few times I have gone there and the tuna (I always get tuna) tasted like some kind of cleaning solvent. It was a strong flavor and smell. I have never experienced this at any other sushi place and I really don't know what the flavor/smell is. All I know is that I don't like it.

I still really like Ichiban. I think their portions (the fish inside the rolls) are HUGE compared to other places and have never had a single bad experience.

Tonight I had friends in town and wanted to see the Cheyenne Saloon and try them out for dinner. Although I'd like to see their success, their food will not be contributing to it. I had the Wednesday Prime Rib $14.95 and i've had better at a Perkins. All food was served cold, small portioned and the service was awkward. A bus full of blue haired people pulled in while we were there so we really felt out of our element. Not being a big country music fan, I found the live entertainment good and the building decor splendid.

Update re: Daily Grind coffee house.

The Daily Grind opened today in the 800 block of North Orange - located between Citrus and Shin Sushi bar. Its a great addition to the North orange community. The buildout was very nice - warm colors and great little corners to eat or people watch. They even offer Gelato which will be a welcome replacement to the closure of the Gelato place in Thornton park. My one pet peeve was that they only had one station for cream, sugar, etc - I can see there being grodlock as its customers jockey for a position on the station.

Tonight I had friends in town and wanted to see the Cheyenne Saloon and try them out for dinner. Although I'd like to see their success, their food will not be contributing to it. I had the Wednesday Prime Rib $14.95 and i've had better at a Perkins. All food was served cold, small portioned and the service was awkward. A bus full of blue haired people pulled in while we were there so we really felt out of our element. Not being a big country music fan, I found the live entertainment good and the building decor splendid.

i wasn't even aware they served dinner there...i thought it was a concert venue and made it country night on nights when there wasn't any concerts going on...after your review im not too excited about trying the food there though...maybe one day ill check out a concert there

try shin, a lot of my "sushi head" friends not it's quite a bit more authentic than your run of the mill sushi bar

shin is very good and more of a real sushi place...not your typical american japanese sushi, the menu changes often and everything i've ever had there has always tasted very fresh, very simple ambiance and super nice waiter, we always get Patrick and i love getting the hot towels before the meal :P

I like O'Naturals. I had Udon with teriyaki a week ago and it was nice to sit outside and enjoy some fresh air while not being directly on a sidewalk.

I tried Bento tonight. 2.22 for 2 beers and 2.22 for sushi rolls. The rice was overcooked, which is exactly the opposite of what I experienced the one time I went to Ichiban. Rice being overcooked by a rice machine means that the person making it put too much water in it. It's really simple. You measure the rice and fill to the corresponding line with water. The place was packed and I waited about 30 minutes to order, which is a lot considering they are cafeteria style and I had to stand the whole time. Considering the special that ran tonight and it was their formal grand opening, I can definitely overlook the wait. Once my order was placed, though, the sushi came out within 5 minutes. The spicy tuna, which is one of my favorites, was really bad. It was a tuna roll with a spicy sauce added on top. If you like spicy tuna, Bikkuri on Colonial, is good and my favorite is Ran Getsu on I-drive. Bikkuri uses a Thai style spicy hot peanut oil mixed with the tuna. The Ran Getsu version uses wasabi and a small amount of mayo mixed with tuna. The California roll, which really isn't sushi, had too much roe on top. The other rolls that I had were average. I assume the nigiri would be fine (if they don't overcook the rice). I will go back and try a rice bowl (probably the bulgogi since my favorite Korean place closed over a year ago) and maybe some Udon. I was not impressed my first time out, but I'm part Japanese, so I'm very particular about my sushi.

i ate there that same night, and experienced the same thing with the spicy tuna. i, too, got a side of rice that was overdone. i'm part japanese, too, and i agree about the importance of rice. i am very lucky to live right across from shin. its owner lives here, too, and is a hardcore sushi man. he's also a japanese fisherman, which earns him respect in my book (i work for a fishing magazine.)

oh yeah, speaking of 801, i was pleasantly pleased last night by a mediterranean salad i got at daily grind unwind. fresh and delicious, with the right amounts of feta, olives and red onion ... three things that really make a good greek salad.

Edited by slapdash09

Now that ROHO is surely gone, anyone know what really happened and why? What I heard was the partners who owned it had a falling out so they closed it, with one partner planning to reopen it. I saw a few weeks ago that everything was gone. This is sad, ROHO was so good and unique. :(

You heard pretty much correct. The proprietor did indeed have a falling out with his investors and shut down shop. I agree it is sad. It was unique and very good. Some of the best cafe con leche I've had, not to mention the mimas.

went to bento today for lunch, if you are in the mood for soup... i recommend the chicken katsu udon noodle soup! yum :D

never heard of the cool blue burrito ...where is it suppose to go in the plaza? i havent seen signs of it yet...

Cool Blue is going in the Plaza accross from Volcanos. It's a small space (next to where NYPD Pizza is to go, which i dont see much build-out on and dont know why another Pizza place is needed, especially on Orange, but thats a whole other topic). Anyway...Cool Blue looked pretty much setup to open last i checked (about a week ago) with furniture in and all. (i'll check it out this weekend, maybe it will be open!).

Anyway, all i can find about it is a Cool Blue Burrito in St. Cloud. Still wondering how it will stand-out from Panchero's down the street, thinking from the decor it's going for a Cal-Mex style (alla Baja Burrito Kitchen) ???

Guess we'll find out soon...

got to try ceviche and the dessert lady last night. in my mind, ceviche blows away cafe tu tu tango. my favorites were the filet w/ blue cheese and the olives. and the dessert lady was a true treat (hurray for cinnamon ice cream on pecan pie!)

in some unfortunate dt news, yesterday was the last of b&s. best coffee, tea, conversation with regulars, and owner. i'm sad to see it go.

Finally had a chance to check out Cheyenne last night. That place is huge! and polished! Its funny how the demographics are so different in this club compared to others (which is a great thing). Ages ranged from college (albiet few) to seniors, ha ha. There was this one old lady (with down syndrome) dancing by herself on the dance floor to Baby got Back, and everyone was cheering her on! I dont think you would have seen that at any other clubs downtown. It was great fun. Covers was $5 and beer $5. Bartenders and employees there were very nice. Oh, and the country music rocked!

Any news or info on why Hamburger Mary's has chosen Church St. to open shop. It still appears to be a gay oriented establishment, since it's being advertised in gay mags such as What's Happening Orlando, The Buzz Central Florida edition and the 411 Central Florida Edition. My guess would be that downtown Orlando itself has the largest gay population in the area and they might fail in Colonialtown or Thornton Park, they can get a much bigger lunch crowd in the city center and people who live and work in the city center are pretty much used to the large gay presence in the area???