Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

are they professional i wonder?

Anyway, Nickel Beer Night! It was great, although the crowd was older. I thought to myself, these are probably the same people that hung out here the last time there was nickle beer, re-living their heydays from the '80's wishin' they were still young and attractive.... oh... sorry thats me!

But I did see two people with old Phineas Phogg Nickle Beer mugs.

I still lament the closing of the Comedy Club. I don't care if the burger joint isn't butch enough for Church Street, its great to see the buildings fill up. And what's the difference if your server is gay because its a gay restaurant, or because he's a server? Eh?

Once the great divide of 55W construction is mended, Church is going to be one long party block again. If these guys can hold on for the Arena and 55W openning, even better. That movie theatre needs to open, Universal City Walk has been mentioned as too touristy for folks, and Pleasure island is on the outs, I see resurgence! As much as I see Live Nation as the embodiement of what is wrong with live music (someone had to become that after Pearlmen left the scene), if the Ferrari thing isn't happennning at the exchange, make it into a live music venue and draw, draw, draw!

• 2 weeks later...

I ate at Spice the other weekend and was quite disappointed with the food. The service was fine, the bread was fine but the meal was not so fine... and what's up the heavy giant menus... I actually felt sorry for the waitress having to carry those around

On a more positive note I have eaten at Fifi's several times and always enjoyed the food and check!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been meaning to post this to all of you fans of In & Out Burger--- according to a store in Phoenix, we (Orlando) will be getting one sometime next year. I don't eat beef, but I make exceptions from time-to-time. ;)

Yum, actually just had one of their cheeseburgers for lunch...I am in CA for 10 days.

We tried the Elephant Bar & Restaurant in the Altamonte Mall last night for dinner. Sort of like a P.F Changs atmosphere with a pretty varied menu with items such as Kung Pao and Sweet n Sour Chicken to Burgers, Salads, Beef, Lamb, etc. The Kung Pau; though not as tasty as the P.F. Chang's version was made with grilled Tofu which was different. They are building another location adjacent to the Mall of Millenia.

We tried the Elephant Bar & Restaurant in the Altamonte Mall last night for dinner. Sort of like a P.F Changs atmosphere with a pretty varied menu with items such as Kung Pao and Sweet n Sour Chicken to Burgers, Salads, Beef, Lamb, etc. The Kung Pau; though not as tasty as the P.F. Chang's version was made with grilled Tofu which was different. They are building another location adjacent to the Mall of Millenia.

How funny, I just went to one two nights ago in Rancho Bernardo CA and I enjoyed it and I thought, this would probably go over well in Orlando. Do they have the single paddle fans running off one motor throughout the bar area as well? I had the macadamia nut crusted chicken with grilled shrimp and it was very good. It was $14.95 and had a full split boneless chicken breast about 20 shrimp, veggies and rice. The menu is titled "Pacific Rim" cuisine.

How funny, I just went to one two nights ago in Rancho Bernardo CA and I enjoyed it and I thought, this would probably go over well in Orlando. Do they have the single paddle fans running off one motor throughout the bar area as well? I had the macadamia nut crusted chicken with grilled shrimp and it was very good. It was $14.95 and had a full split boneless chicken breast about 20 shrimp, veggies and rice. The menu is titled "Pacific Rim" cuisine.

I think they started out in CA. They do have the single fans, but I remember them at the host area when you come in. I was thinking of the macadamia nut crusted chicken last night, I'll have to try it next time. The prices are pretty reasonable for the amount of food they present to you. They were on a 20-25 min. wait on a Wednesday, so I think they are doing fairly well.

yesterday, frankieb96 and I went to cool blue burrito at the plaza for lunch... i had a chicken bowl and he had a steak burrito... food was 'meh' nothing spectacular... and i think that plus 2 drinks ended up being about $18... i would have rather gone to urban flats and had 2 flats for about that price

place was empty...but we went after lunch rush...1-2pm

bring on more restaurant and retail at the plaza!

tomorrow, a group of us will be trying out Ethos Vegan restaurant on Orange...not a vegan myself...so we will see how this goes!

yesterday, frankieb96 and I went to cool blue burrito at the plaza for lunch... i had a chicken bowl and he had a steak burrito... food was 'meh' nothing spectacular... and i think that plus 2 drinks ended up being about $18... i would have rather gone to urban flats and had 2 flats for about that price

place was empty...but we went after lunch rush...1-2pm

bring on more restaurant and retail at the plaza!

tomorrow, a group of us will be trying out Ethos Vegan restaurant on Orange...not a vegan myself...so we will see how this goes!

i'm not vegan, either, but i found the shepard's pie and dessert at ethos delicious!

• 2 months later...

since no one has posted since april..i feel its my duty to find out where people have eaten lately! has anyone been to hamburger marys that opened up on church street? i attempted to go on day 1, since i work nearby and they stopped accepting customers b/c they were too busy ... and wanted to assure great service to the current customers and not compromise future customers...i have yet to return yet...so what say UP'ers!

since no one has posted since april..i feel its my duty to find out where people have eaten lately! has anyone been to hamburger marys that opened up on church street? i attempted to go on day 1, since i work nearby and they stopped accepting customers b/c they were too busy ... and wanted to assure great service to the current customers and not compromise future customers...i have yet to return yet...so what say UP'ers!

Ate there once. BURGER was good!! also had a couple of my friends go back a couple times. Good things to say.

although not right downtown, there's a cute & tasty little cafe over on virginia called bikes, beans and bordeaux that i've come to really enjoy. it's in the strip mall diagonal from the 7-eleven adjacent to stardust (east of the park ave cds building). personally, i like the veggie/hummus sandwich and iced coffee. oh, and the jelly bellies for dessert.

I went to BB Kings the other night out at Pointe Orlando, food wasn't amazing but better than I thought it would be. The music made up for anything the food might have lacked.

And the manager let us in for free (normally $5 after 8 or so) after we started to walk away...

Somebody mentioned Ethos...

How was it?

My wife and I rode our bikes past it a couple weeks ago but haven't been able to get there yet. Maybe this weekend. Neither of us are vegan, but we figured we'd still give it a shot. It smelled good as we rode past.

Also, I just wanted to give a plug for Drunken Monkey, on Bumby next to Beefy King. It's a great coffee shop and they actually have some pretty good food. It's cheap and it is a real coffee shop atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...

ethos was good...i had the shephards pie ... basically everythign you normally would have minus the meat...so if you can stomach that...its good stuff.. choco chip cookie was yummy as well!

went to cefiore in college park a couple times recently...super duper yummy! acai berry so far is my fav...this is the closest we have to pink berry in orlando right now.... anyone want to invest in a yogurt shop with me??? its all the rage on the westcoast..lets bring more to orlando!!!

theres also is a place that is a cupcake / yogurt place that opened up recently in waterford sweetbyholly.com check em out! i might go see what they are all about tonight!

ethos was good...i had the shephards pie ... basically everythign you normally would have minus the meat...so if you can stomach that...its good stuff.. choco chip cookie was yummy as well!

went to cefiore in college park a couple times recently...super duper yummy! acai berry so far is my fav...this is the closest we have to pink berry in orlando right now.... anyone want to invest in a yogurt shop with me??? its all the rage on the westcoast..lets bring more to orlando!!!

theres also is a place that is a cupcake / yogurt place that opened up recently in waterford sweetbyholly.com check em out! i might go see what they are all about tonight!

Cefiore is good, I intended to mention it. It's across from the Publix on Edgewater if anyone wants to find it. I've only had the green tea flavor so far and took it home and added my own blueberries. Very good. They could use some more flavors, and I would prefer gelato, but oh well.

Church is trying to get some people out on Tuesdays. 2 things right next to each other.

Panchero's 4pm - 9pm

Drink the Keg Dry

Bud Select Draft (with purchase of an entree)

50 cents

also on Thursdays

Cheyenne Saloon not sure when they start - 7pm

Bud, Bud Light, Amber Bock

50 cent drafts in a cold glass mug

25 cent chicken wings (from Codys BBQ upstairs - very good wings)

needless to say, if you haven't partaken in the newly revisted Cheyenne Saloon, this is the time to go. I did. Gotta love a cheap buzz... and I'm back at the office working.

ALSO... this Friday, July 11th.... at Church Street Station... they're calling ??? something SKIP DAY... live music... free beer from NOON TILL 7PM - OMG... what has 2 thumbs and is taking off on Friday.... this guy :alc:

Wow, thanks for the recommendation - I didnt even know about it, but I've been looking for something to rival TCBY or Pinkberry for the longest time. It's within running distance from downtown, too.

Church is trying to get some people out on Tuesdays. 2 things right next to each other.

Panchero's 4pm - 9pm

Drink the Keg Dry

Bud Select Draft (with purchase of an entree)

50 cents

also on Thursdays

Cheyenne Saloon not sure when they start - 7pm

Bud, Bud Light, Amber Bock

50 cent drafts in a cold glass mug

25 cent chicken wings (from Codys BBQ upstairs - very good wings)

needless to say, if you haven't partaken in the newly revisted Cheyenne Saloon, this is the time to go. I did. Gotta love a cheap buzz... and I'm back at the office working.

ALSO... this Friday, July 11th.... at Church Street Station... they're calling ??? something SKIP DAY... live music... free beer from NOON TILL 7PM - OMG... what has 2 thumbs and is taking off on Friday.... this guy :alc:

hahaha im not a beer fan...but a BBQ place opened up above cheyenne saloon? and has decent chicken wangs? good to know...might have to go and check em out! thanks for the tips

Wow, thanks for the recommendation - I didnt even know about it, but I've been looking for something to rival TCBY or Pinkberry for the longest time. It's within running distance from downtown, too.

def gives Pinkberry a run for their money... (even tho i have never had it) but from a bit of googling cefiore is better than pinkberry

pinkberry just has the hype b/c of all the hollywoodians who go there... but "Red Mango" is the original of tart yogurt....i wonder if we will ever get one of those!

went to sweetbyholly.com yesterday at waterford (it is next to toojays) they have one flavor of tart yogurt (plain) i got it with kiwi! it was a bit more sour than cefiore...but still yummy (and close to my home) so that is a plus! they also have vanilla/choco/swirl custard...which pretty much tastes like softserve, my bf got vanilla custard with cap'n crunch, he said he still likes cefiore...and then they have a ton of cupcakes...i got the original cupcake..nothing spectacular in my book...its pretty much a cupcake...and im not an icing fan...i took one bite of the icing and it was way too sweet for my buds...but it came in a nifty togo cupcake box... definitely a "sweet" idea ... i hope it has lasting power! i definitely recommend it! the interior is decorated nicely and its a fun place to go for a quick after dinner dessert! everything we had was about $3 each

n5109461_39790983_8348.jpg

Edited by surina777

• 3 weeks later...