Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

bulldogger had mentioned his poor evening at Bliss attending the Bonkerz night.

I agree, Bliss doesn't seem to understand what it wants to be. Either you're a good time bar, or you appeal to the only young and beautiful to attract the ugly old yet rich men to do silly things like bottle service.

I did have a good time seeing something I had joked about producing myself: Karaoke with a live band backing. The band (Dirty Hairy) was great, looked like they had fun with everyone who came up. The fact that this was occurring in a space once owned by Lou Pearlman gave a nice frosting of irony to the proceedings.

I mention that because I wouldn't have thought Bliss would do that. I agree with bulldogger that until they go forward with an identity, and really buy into it, they're going to end up pleasing no one.

I have the suspicion they really want a true velvet rope, exclusive, uptight, waiting list, sort of place and will hold onto that for as long as they can. I just don't think there is enough drug money in the hands of mi-20 somethings here to support that though.

Yea, they have that karaoke live band thing everything Wednesday nights, similar to Voyeur on Pine every Sunday night. But Voyeur is way more pack than Bliss. Also, the environment inside Bliss isnt all that luxurious or nicely decor, even Antigua is better looking inside. I miss Rythm and Flow.

• 3 weeks later...

i think at least a year ago, prob. from lack of business, not sure. The investers behind that bar I think were also for the Bong Vodka. Nothing have replaced that bar since. Thats a prime location too.

There is build out underway in the former Rythm & Flow space.. i have no idea what it is though, could be anything, another club, restaurant, or even a bank. anyone have any insight?

Edited by pip

when did rythm and flow close and why?

my brother was one of the DJs at the club when it closed. For newcomers our former mayor advocated the 2 pm drinking time and made it where a club could not stay open after 2 am whether they are selling alchohol or not. At the time Orlando's music and club scene was hot on an international basis and even lots of celebs checked out The Firestone and The Firestone was a well known name for club goers worldwide. So naturally the club would stay open sometimes till well into the next day. Orlando was even highlighted in Rolling Stone magazine for it's club/music scene. So the house/techno club scene retreated mainly to Ybor City and Orlando decided it didn't want a hip South Beach/NYC or a New Orleans party city atmosphere (Key West, Ybor City) . So with the migration of those DJ's , music, cool clubs, etc, there was less of a need for House/Techno clubs. So during the hip hop craze that took over downtown only the most "ultra" of those clubs remained and Rythym & Flow wasn't a survivor. (Funny that there was never a big uproar with the current city administration when Orlando was a hot hip hop club city for a few years. I think Frederick policies and ideas have helped to keep a vibrant club scene that is eventually turning more upscale and the change in retail in Orlando keeps the downtown crowd looking better and better) But I see more Rythym & Flows happening (they already are) along with a wide variety of things to do at night besides nightclubs , Orlando is rapidly adopting to that cutting edge art scene which provides options for nighttime. I can actually envision Orlando as a city that out-of-towners (and us) consider a night out on the town in Orlando a hip, dressy-trendy, exciting and exceedingly fresh dining expenience along with the main part of the evening (show, club, art opening, undergound theater, etc.) and then some cool late night coffee cafes, etc. before the drive back to wherever, Tampa Bay?) I really think downtown's destiny is about along those lines and growing as Orlando grows. ( I see it as an area that underdressed tourists wouldn't feel comfortable unless they "knew" that type of envirornment and the tourist downtown would probably be more local statewide. in some aspects we could take the place of Atlanta for Floridians who are in to visisting that type of city.) In reverse, if someone from Orlando wanted to go party like New Orleans , sloppy drunk till 6 am, but in a city with cool restaurants and lots of hip but friendly with a lot less attitude clubs with wild eclectic clientel, Tampa has become quite the party city with lots of cool resididents in the SoHo area and neighborhoods surrounding downtown. Orlando's neighborhood structure is different as far as resididents actually residing immediately in the CBD area. And I've noticed the ads for some new retail opening downtown, a couple of trendy and I believe independent clothestores similar to Urban Body in Thorn. PK. I think that is extemely important, especially since they are opening based mainly on "neighborhood traffic" and the clothing represents the type of downtown resident (young, post college) that Orlando is attracting. This is a true evolution in to Orlando's identity as an urban center, this is finally taking place and I believe it's strong enough for people in the I-4 corridor and probably Jacksonville to finally establish a seperate identity between the two Orlando's and like many of us have known for years that there is quite a large city here that is not part of theme park world, which is also a weekend destination for Floridians, a different experience and not a part of the Orlando dining/nightlife experience, or the fantastic Orlando retail experience, or the nightlife Tampa experience, or the Tampa Buccaneer experience, Tampa Theme Park experience or Aquarium, etc. etc. I apologize for the long post and the babbling and going off topic but this is something I have wanted to say and this topic kind of fits and answered the question very very much in debt.

s

frankieb96 and i went to Graze at the bottom of the Sanctuary, yesterday for Sunday Brunch, we got there at about 3:45pm, so we made it just in time for some brunch!

i ordered the chicken and waffles, one of the most unlikely places i would expect to serve such a southern style dish, that you typically find in urban areas of town...i wasn't sure what to expect, but i have been craving chicken and waffles since i first had it in atlanta at gladys knights chicken & waffles restaurant.

the food arrived, looked very fresh and when i bit, the chicken was so moist and perfectly crispy on the outside, the waffle was good, nothing different, but the sweet and savory taste mixed well together...i was loving it!

frankieb96 got the french toast stuffed with nutella and bananas with a chocolate sauce syrup ...which was equally yummy, but very very sweet, definitely something that would satisfy any sweet tooth. anything with nutella is great in my book!

what a great place to enjoy some great food, decor is nice and the staff was very friendly and attentive, its sad that you don't see places like this full of people, but soon enough after everything gets built up around it ... i know graze is going to be a great downtown dining destination

here are some cell phone pix of the food!

14b55j5.jpg

french toast stuffed with nutella & bananas with chocolate sauce syrup

2n8vv3k.jpg

chicken and waffles

frankieb96 and i went to Graze at the bottom of the Sanctuary, yesterday for Sunday Brunch, we got there at about 3:45pm, so we made it just in time for some brunch!

i ordered the chicken and waffles, one of the most unlikely places i would expect to serve such a southern style dish, that you typically find in urban areas of town...i wasn't sure what to expect, but i have been craving chicken and waffles since i first had it in atlanta at gladys knights chicken & waffles restaurant.

the food arrived, looked very fresh and when i bit, the chicken was so moist and perfectly crispy on the outside, the waffle was good, nothing different, but the sweet and savory taste mixed well together...i was loving it!

frankieb96 got the french toast stuffed with nutella and bananas with a chocolate sauce syrup ...which was equally yummy, but very very sweet, definitely something that would satisfy any sweet tooth. anything with nutella is great in my book!

what a great place to enjoy some great food, decor is nice and the staff was very friendly and attentive, its sad that you don't see places like this full of people, but soon enough after everything gets built up around it ... i know graze is going to be a great downtown dining destination

here are some cell phone pix of the food!

14b55j5.jpg

french toast stuffed with nutella & bananas with chocolate sauce syrup

2n8vv3k.jpg

chicken and waffles

Mmm... Chicken & Waffles. You speak my language, Surina! How much was their chicken and waffles though? They shouldn't cost terribly much.

If you're ever in Buena Park, California you need to check out Knott's Berry Farm's Sunday Brunch buffet with chicken and waffles and... a bottle of (cheap) champagne for only $17! Mmm... nothing beats Knott's fried chicken to date!

Has anyone ever eaten at 'Il Pescatore', the Italian restaurant near the corner of Primrose and Colonial? I always see it and wonder if it's any good.

My wife and I both didn't like Il Pescatore. Any place that serves garlic bread on a big hot dog bun isn't a good Italian restaurant.

I have yet to find fantastic Italian in Orlando. Pannulo's on Park Ave. is always good, and they make their dishes pretty flavorful, but I wish they had more special dishes.

All I know is after one trip to the North End in Boston, you'll never find something that compares in Orlando.

as for pizza...

Proccolino's is next to the Winn Dixie across the street and down a block and I think they have taken my award for Best Pizza in Orlando from Alphonso's in College Park. It's great.

IMO..

Best Italian restaurant closest to downtown - "Rocco's Italian Grill" in WP on Mills/Orlando Ave. (right next to "El Bodegon" which has pretty good Spanish itself - think Ceviche on a smaller more intimate scale). Rocco's has pretty much taken the flag Limoncello once had many years ago before their chef left and everything went downhill, eventually closing).

Also on my best Italian restaurant list, though further from downtown, is "Terra Mia" in Altamonte.

Either of these shouldn't dissapoint.

It's Nonna now but still good (but I've only had lunch there since the change).

Nonna is very good and more casual style. It's the same owners as K Restaurant down the street from it in college park, which incidentally is tops for my all around favorite restaurant in the area.

Thanks for the advice, guys! Il Pescatore--- you won my agreement with the hot dog bun comment! Hahaha. I've been eyeing Proccolino's, so I will definitely check it out.

I've been meaning to post how great Bikes, Beans & Bordeaux really is. It's on Corrine Drive in the strip across from Big Daddy's and it's terrific. Great nosh, excellent rotating wine offerings, great red and white Sangria (better than Ceviche's, actually... That's right Tennis, you need to try it), and their espresso comes freshly roasted out of Atlanta and it's AMAZING. The service is just as great. Jen, co-owner I believe, remembered my name a month after my first and only visit at the time. I don't remember reading anyone's review on them but I highly recommend them... tomorrow (Saturday the 6th) is a art show.

Thanks for the advice, guys! Il Pescatore--- you won my agreement with the hot dog bun comment! Hahaha. I've been eyeing Proccolino's, so I will definitely check it out.

I've been meaning to post how great Bikes, Beans & Bordeaux really is. It's on Corrine Drive in the strip across from Big Daddy's and it's terrific. Great nosh, excellent rotating wine offerings, great red and white Sangria (better than Ceviche's, actually... That's right Tennis, you need to try it), and their espresso comes freshly roasted out of Atlanta and it's AMAZING. The service is just as great. Jen, co-owner I believe, remembered my name a month after my first and only visit at the time. I don't remember reading anyone's review on them but I highly recommend them... tomorrow (Saturday the 6th) is a art show.

i agree with you on b, b & b. i fell in love with the joint in june and have been back weekly ever since. i'm glad someone else here is making the trek out there to enjoy this gem.