Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

i agree with you on b, b & b. i fell in love with the joint in june and have been back weekly ever since. i'm glad someone else here is making the trek out there to enjoy this gem.

It's not that far from me actually, but I guess if you live far I can see why you'd make a trek to B3's! It's also a great spot for breakfast before going to The Audubon Park Farmer's Market and wine afterwards... then going to Park Ave CDs. Saturdays rock!

Thanks for the advice, guys! Il Pescatore--- you won my agreement with the hot dog bun comment! Hahaha. I've been eyeing Proccolino's, so I will definitely check it out.

I've been meaning to post how great Bikes, Beans & Bordeaux really is. It's on Corrine Drive in the strip across from Big Daddy's and it's terrific. Great nosh, excellent rotating wine offerings, great red and white Sangria (better than Ceviche's, actually... That's right Tennis, you need to try it), and their espresso comes freshly roasted out of Atlanta and it's AMAZING. The service is just as great. Jen, co-owner I believe, remembered my name a month after my first and only visit at the time. I don't remember reading anyone's review on them but I highly recommend them... tomorrow (Saturday the 6th) is a art show.

How are the prices? Sangrias at Ceviche is like $6 a glass or $16 a pitcher (4 glasses). It is worth it for me to drive there instead of walking to ceviche? Road trip!

How are the prices? Sangrias at Ceviche is like $6 a glass or $16 a pitcher (4 glasses). It is worth it for me to drive there instead of walking to ceviche? Road trip!

Hmm... Good point. I am not sure... but even if it's a little more, the quality is worth it! Then you can go to Big Daddy's and try one of 33 beers on tap--- just don't lead on any ladies you meet there if your intentions aren't to be "taken to the airport". ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Mmm... Chicken & Waffles. You speak my language, Surina! How much was their chicken and waffles though? They shouldn't cost terribly much.

If you're ever in Buena Park, California you need to check out Knott's Berry Farm's Sunday Brunch buffet with chicken and waffles and... a bottle of (cheap) champagne for only $17! Mmm... nothing beats Knott's fried chicken to date!

Has anyone ever eaten at 'Il Pescatore', the Italian restaurant near the corner of Primrose and Colonial? I always see it and wonder if it's any good.

sorry im so late in replying...it was pretty cheap...like $10-11bucks...and a good sized portion too! thanks for the recommendation in cali! ill def have to try it next time im out there!

My wife and I both didn't like Il Pescatore. Any place that serves garlic bread on a big hot dog bun isn't a good Italian restaurant.

I have yet to find fantastic Italian in Orlando. Pannulo's on Park Ave. is always good, and they make their dishes pretty flavorful, but I wish they had more special dishes.

All I know is after one trip to the North End in Boston, you'll never find something that compares in Orlando.

as for pizza...

Proccolino's is next to the Winn Dixie across the street and down a block and I think they have taken my award for Best Pizza in Orlando from Alphonso's in College Park. It's great.

Stallones on the corner of Kirkman and Conroy in the publix shopping plaza...is the best southern comfort food italian i have had in town! LOVE LOVE IT! Can't beat it for the price and quality of food! sooo super yummy ... get anything with red sauce and pasta and i guarantee you will love it!

IMO..

Best Italian restaurant closest to downtown - "Rocco's Italian Grill" in WP on Mills/Orlando Ave. (right next to "El Bodegon" which has pretty good Spanish itself - think Ceviche on a smaller more intimate scale). Rocco's has pretty much taken the flag Limoncello once had many years ago before their chef left and everything went downhill, eventually closing).

Also on my best Italian restaurant list, though further from downtown, is "Terra Mia" in Altamonte.

Either of these shouldn't dissapoint.

haven't been to terra mia in altamonte but their less lavish location in lake mary across from colonial town park isn't too bad either! went last week and had their lasagna and it was definitely delish!

that bb&b place sounds like a good place to check out! ... i just went to their website and it looks great! this is near baldwin park right? i think im definitely going to give this a shot sometime this week! weehoo love trying new food joints!

Edited by surina777

haven't been to terra mia in altamonte but their less lavish location in lake mary across from colonial town park isn't too bad either! went last week and had their lasagna and it was definitely delish!

that bb&b place sounds like a good place to check out! ... i just went to their website and it looks great! this is near baldwin park right? i think im definitely going to give this a shot sometime this week! weehoo love trying new food joints!

I still think Cafe Italiano in Azalea Park near Semoran Blvd. and E.Colonial Dr is the best for non-creative red sauce Italian comfort food. There homemade Ravioli is awesome!!

No need to apologize! I'll have to check out their chicken and waffles definitely! I still have yet to try Johnson's Diner on Church St.

As for B3's, they are near Baldwin Park on Corrine... It's on the opposite side of Corrine from a bar called Big Daddy's, in a strip. You'll be able to spot their name on the awning.

Have fun there! This is the last month for their awesome, refreshing sangria unless patrons demand its return.

On the subject of food, Pom Pom's Teahouse and Sandwicheria is trying out a 24-hour opening this weekend. I couldn't ask for better after bar food!

I still think Cafe Italiano in Azalea Park near Semoran Blvd. and E.Colonial Dr is the best for non-creative red sauce Italian comfort food. There homemade Ravioli is awesome!!

must try...that is much closer to me than stallones and i am a ravioli feen!

No need to apologize! I'll have to check out their chicken and waffles definitely! I still have yet to try Johnson's Diner on Church St.

As for B3's, they are near Baldwin Park on Corrine... It's on the opposite side of Corrine from a bar called Big Daddy's, in a strip. You'll be able to spot their name on the awning.

Have fun there! This is the last month for their awesome, refreshing sangria unless patrons demand its return.

On the subject of food, Pom Pom's Teahouse and Sandwicheria is trying out a 24-hour opening this weekend. I couldn't ask for better after bar food!

eh, to johnson's diner...i know it has history and all...but i went there once and i was NOT impressed, our central office is located in the same building...its nothing grand,

i prefer mama nem's on kirkman when it comes to a place that is specifically soul food oriented

just made rez at cafe italiano for my dads birthday tomorrow! i hope its as good as you say!!!

http://yp.bellsouth.com/sites/cafeitaliano/page2.html

ok so we went for my dads birthday yesterday...

it is NOT NOT NOT as good as stallones on kirkman and conroy

i ordered the manicotti and my boyfriend got the ravioli... he said parts of his ravioli still were cold (not to mention they put meat sauce on it and not marinara)

the manicotti was good, but not as good as mr. stallones hand made manicotti...oh man, i wish he would keep it on the regular menu, but its only offered as a special since it takes so long to make!

it wasn't bad, but it definitely did not beat stallones...

my parents had the tilapia/pasta special and they liked it, but they have never had stallones, so i cant blame them for thinking it was awesome hahaha

went to tavern on the lake last night, not all that impressed.

Had the rack of lamb, which was one of their more expensive food items. Good portions, decent presentation, but the lack of flavor had me puzzled. No herb crust seasoning, very little sauce... the lamb was extremely bland on it's own. None of the desserts impressed me either. Only thing place has going for it is the ambiance.

must try...that is much closer to me than stallones and i am a ravioli feen!

eh, to johnson's diner...i know it has history and all...but i went there once and i was NOT impressed, our central office is located in the same building...its nothing grand,

i prefer mama nem's on kirkman when it comes to a place that is specifically soul food oriented

Good to know! I respect your advice. I'd been eyeing Mama Nem's but either I leave the office too late or no one else will go there for lunch. Speaking of soul food, anyone know of a good soul food restaurant in Eatonville? There was a portion of the story in National Geographic's REAL Orlando article a year or so ago that mentioned a soul food cafe there. I mean, c'mon... if Nat Geo went there it has to be good!

Edited by WeNeed2Progress

Good to know! I respect your advice. I'd been eyeing Mama Nem's but either I leave the office too late or no one else will go there for lunch. Speaking of soul food, anyone know of a good soul food restaurant in Eatonville? There was a portion of the story in National Geographic's REAL Orlando article a year or so ago that mentioned a soul food cafe there. I mean, c'mon... if Nat Geo went there it has to be good!

Homestyle Soul Food Restaurant:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/03/...ett-field-notes

i don't see whats so special about sweets by holly..at least the overpriced cupcakes. It wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be...cool theme going inside...nicely decorated food items..but taste wise..its just not 'amazing'.

What about their other items? anyone know if its worth giong back to try the yoguts etc.

i agree with you there...i thought the cupcakes would be huge (esp for the price) but they are the regular size and im not a fan of frosting so i lop it off hahaha..but its a nice addition to the area, i hope it does well..as a another trendy dessert spot... that is all

froyo there isnt as good as cefiores...cefiores is the place to have the trendy froyo! place always has a steady round of ppl flowing through! they absolutely are doing well! and i know they are looking to expand to the park ave area where i can probably guarantee more success!! (ugh how i wish i could afford to franchise one!!!)

Edited by surina777

thanks! :wub: i rarely go out for lunch, if i do i take out, otherwise i'd say we should have a UP orlando Meetup!!!

yum! i must try...

oh! and how could i forget..we had a group go out to POM POM's on saturday during their 2nd weekend run of being open for 24hours on the weekend! and how i was pleasantly surprised that the sandwiches were uber yummy nicely toasted and everything tasted very fresh! i even had a cupcake (which look eerily like sweets cupcakes, priced the same $3) i had a make your own sandwich with roast beef, motz, spicy mustard, and some other random goodness...the place is tiny, but our group of 10+ took over the joint for the couple hours we were there!

Edited by surina777

Surina, Since we were kinda on the subject of cupcakes, and I've tried a few, and have a few opinions.

Fifi's has some good cupcakes, kinda original flavors like Pink Lemonade. Unfortrunately, that seems to be all that they have recently. they are $2

I hear that Penguins on Maguire in the Occoee/Windermere area has some good ones. http://www.penguinsparadise.com/ I hear they are $2

I've had the Desert Lady's cupcakes at $3, and they aren't as original and as tasty.

Thoughts?

Surina, Since we were kinda on the subject of cupcakes, and I've tried a few, and have a few opinions.

Fifi's has some good cupcakes, kinda original flavors like Pink Lemonade. Unfortrunately, that seems to be all that they have recently. they are $2

I hear that Penguins on Maguire in the Occoee/Windermere area has some good ones. http://www.penguinsparadise.com/ I hear they are $2

I've had the Desert Lady's cupcakes at $3, and they aren't as original and as tasty.

Thoughts?

never have had cupcakes at any of the establishments you suggested...but i may try it at fifi's next time i am there...i guess cupcakes are the last thing on my mind for dessert when i walk into fifi's...im all about the french pastries like the fruit tart or the cakes w/strawberries inside. it reminds me of my visit to paris and my daily visits to the patisseries for their oh so good treats! same at desert lady, i tend to go for the cakes rather then the cupcakes ... i never see cupcakes displayed or on the menu when i go, perhaps they are out (usually find myself there late at night).

speaking of patisseries...i noticed a place called "patisserie" in lake mary recently opened, it is in the plaza across from colonial town park off of international parkway and 46a? (i think its 46a) it is in the corner next to a sushi restaurant...

has anyone tried yet?!?!? very interested in knowing how it is, i will definitely have to check it out soon!

have i ever mentioned that i love food! hahahah

Tried out Rustic Steakhouse tonight and had a wonderful meal with friends. They did a great job transforming this place from the Improv. Make sure you check out the two story cooled wine room and try the sample wine and cheese of the day. Ribeye was great.

I also have gone several times to Fratellis Italian Restaurant on Orange across from BOA. If you like thin crust pizza their's is pretty good. Tuesday and Wednesdays they have all you can eat pizza and wings. Good wings, too!

I also recommend Rustic. Great food, and try to make it for the wine tasting every night, one wine, but you learn everything about it. Best Caesar salad I've had since Pebbles closed down and steaks I'd put up against Del Frisco's. The night we went a great trio of piano, drums, and electric cello was playing. I loved the energy down on Church this weekend.

My wife and I also hit Ember, the new place in the old Katie O's space. That is absolutely fabulous. Some money was spent there! Awesome atmosphere. The menu is great, portions are a good value for the money. I am told that they decided on the name before they were aware of the new fire station going in next door, but I doubt many will believe it in the years to come. Open for lunch at 11am and I hear rumors of maybe a Sunday brunch.

rustic is on par w/del friscos? this i must try for myself!!

i was at ember on saturday...been there a couple times since it has opened...great place...its almost like a grown up wallstreet...less collegey folk hanging around...i did get to check out their bar food the first time i went...and knowing that the people over at kres were the ones responsible for it .. i knew it had to be good stuff. i got the steak skewers ...which were awesome!

definitely a great addition to orlando nightlife

Surina, did you notice the new Shockolad (sic?) that opened in the Orange Center? Kinda sneaky, just suddenly it opens Downtown this past week. Guess I got to see if there are cupcakes there too.

i did not....isn't schakolad a franchise? is it this place? http://www.schakolad.com/ dont see a downtown location on their website...let me know if you find cupcakes or other yummy goodness!