Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

Just a heads up.....anyone that have used their credit card at Tastings Downtown on E. Washington need to double check to see if they have double charged you. They are currently rectifying the situation.

crazy ... we were there the same day (one of the two with double charges, nov 28 and dec 2, i think). thanks for the heads up!

for those who have been to El Coqui Mexicano, how big is this place and how is parking? thinking of having a group there for dinner on a saturday night...

tia!

The place is VERY small. There are only 4 tables that can seat 6 and seating for 8 at the counter. Call ahead for reservations since it will be too cold for outdoor seating. Last Saturday night was packed.

The place is VERY small. There are only 4 tables that can seat 6 and seating for 8 at the counter. Call ahead for reservations since it will be too cold for outdoor seating. Last Saturday night was packed.

ah ok thanks for the heads up, prob not the place to bring 10-20 rowdy hungry guys hahah ill have to keep this reserved for our smaller group outings!

for those who have been to El Coqui Mexicano, how big is this place and how is parking? thinking of having a group there for dinner on a saturday night...

tia!

I went there with a group on Saturday and there wasn't a place to sit. It looked great, but we were on a time schedule and went somewhere else. I really want to go back, though.

got to check out tastings this past friday, if you aren't aware its at the bottom of the new dynetech building...we had great service there, decent selection of wines, they have the whole dispenser deal like wine room in winter park but on a smaller scale, we hung out at the bar and split a bottle of rosa regale...great place to chill and not feel like you are packed in like sardines (well not yet)... not a place where foot traffic is high, so hopefully they survive for now until business can pick up more for them!

The burgers were great, the service was awful and God! it was loud but was fun to watch the game. Burger prices a little below Mary's.

sometimes good food doesnt make up for bad service ... anyone know the hours? we were going to go tonight to check it out,but no one answered the phone and its not posted on their site

• 2 weeks later...

im so sad at the news i got today, my favorite froyo place, 'Cefiore' is going outta biz, last day is this coming friday march 6th

they roughly made it to a year of business, and there was a potential one going up in thornton park, but now everything is going away :(

if anyone is interested a club i am involved in is going to do an aftermeet there and give the place some last business, wednesday around 9pm

Edited by surina777

surina are you in some sort of diners club? That would be a fun way to try new restaurants

haha i think a few exist in town, but i have never looked into getting into them

im actually apart of a local car club in town and we meet AT LEAST twice a week at local restaurants we enjoy in the community, we try to keep it different and always try to go to new places at least once, its a lil something we do for our community and at the same time enjoy our passion

on top of that my boyfriend and i love to eat, so we are always trying new places around town as well :P

• 2 weeks later...

I checked out the new Mediterranean place at The Plaza called The Black Olive on Friday night. I spoke to the owner Evan and he talked about the restaurant a little bit. It is an Orlando family owned restaurant.

The first thing you notice is a relief on the back wall that is about 20 feet high. Next, you notice that the furniture is really nice. It may be a bit tight (cramped) when the place fills up. At the time, there were only a few people in the restaurant and they were in the bar. There is a wine room that is glass/plexi encased off to the one side that can be reserved. There is also a red lacquered piano tucked into one corner that isn't immediately noticable.

Having quite a bit of restaurant experience under my belt, I would have liked to have seen the back of the house. I am curious to see how much space is in the back of the house.

Evan talked about items on the menu like he was the chef. He seemed very excited about the food. One menu item that peaked my interest is the Caesar Salad. It will be made completely from scratch tableside, including the sauce. There weren't any food items available on Friday, but I had a complimentary glass of their house Chard. It was good. Not too sweet; not too dry. Middle of the road, which is perfect for a house wine.

I don't remember the exact date, but he said the public grand opening will be the first week in April (1st-4th).

I actually had dinner at Black Olive last night. They are still in their soft opening so they did not have a full menu. However, I got to try some appetizers, the caesar salad and a few entrees. The presentation on all the dishes was top notch. Service was excellent (mainly since the place was dead I assume), and it felt more like an experience than just a meal.

Had octopus and mussels for the appetizers. Mussels were pretty mediocre, octopus was done well, did a good job of neutralizing the flavor. The caesar had a grand presentation and took about 5 minutes to make in front of us. It had a spicy kick to it, but again I wasn't overly impressed by the taste. I had some veal for my entree, the portion was a bit small but the presentation was excellent and the meat was perfect. My friend had the pasta and it was obviously home made... very thick noodles, unique flavor and once again excellent presentation.

Overall I would say the service was excellent, the food was decent, and the overall experience was very enjoyable. I will certainly be back. I just hope it catches on with the locals, it was DEAD when I was there, though I know it has not officially opened yet.

is this a high price, small portion place,but great taste? (kind of like luma)

if so sounds like a good place to go once in awhile when you want to dine in style, the menu does sound quite exotic, i hope it does catch on

has anyone eaten at senseo? i have walked past the last couple weeks and it has that whole miami vibe (outdoor seating area) and the red velvet rope outside to keep ppl thinking that the place is packed inside and you cant get in unless u know someone or wait forever...looks pretentious to me...but u never know

Tonight a large group of us went to Black Olive and I think we all were disappointed. The decor and atmosphere is very nice; however, we had very poor service and the food was average at best and not worth the price. A couple of us had the grilled octopus which was marinaded and served in about a 1 cup scoop with arugula--not worth the $12 price. A couple of us had the grilled sea bass which was ok. It was served with a fennel rissoto which was kind of pasty and bland. At $26, again not worth the price. One had tried the soup of the day which had a nice presentation where a large rolled egg noodle was placed at the bottom of the bowl with some kind of sliced chicken pate and when served, a chicken broth was poured over. The presentation greatly over shadowed the bland taste. One had the mushroom ravioli which contained 4 raviolis for $18 and again did not contain much flavor. A couple had the Parpadelli porchini mushroom pasta which again was not that good. The dinners were served two at a time so we gave everyone permission to eat their food as they got it. The server misplaced almost every order. One had the crabcakes which said they were good--that was the only positive comment. One did not receive her meal until everyone was done with theirs. We had to call for our waiter a couple of times for drinks and had to make 3 or 4 requests for bread. Almost every table was filled when we arrived, and I understand that in a soft opening the service may be off, but bland food is inexcuseable--unless things change I don't see this place lasting that long unfortunately.