Orlando Restaurants & Bars

im so sad at the news i got today, my favorite froyo place, 'Cefiore' is going outta biz, last day is this coming friday march 6th

they roughly made it to a year of business, and there was a potential one going up in thornton park, but now everything is going away :(

if anyone is interested a club i am involved in is going to do an aftermeet there and give the place some last business, wednesday around 9pm

Edited by surina777

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure if this has been discussed anywhere but had the chance to try the newly opened "Cavo's" (original Graffiti) on Washington.  Have to say their limited menu was fantastic and I'd definitely go

Tried Russell’s last night for happy hour, just a couple apps and drinks. They’ve done a fantastic job with the space, the wall by the lake is all windows and provides an incredible sunset view overlo

The funny part, I suppose, is what ersatz verbal constructions these are. "Thornton Park" did not become a thing until the late '80's (it was basically a name pulled out of the subdivision records by

Posted Images

surina are you in some sort of diners club? That would be a fun way to try new restaurants

haha i think a few exist in town, but i have never looked into getting into them

im actually apart of a local car club in town and we meet AT LEAST twice a week at local restaurants we enjoy in the community, we try to keep it different and always try to go to new places at least once, its a lil something we do for our community and at the same time enjoy our passion

on top of that my boyfriend and i love to eat, so we are always trying new places around town as well :P

• 2 weeks later...

I checked out the new Mediterranean place at The Plaza called The Black Olive on Friday night. I spoke to the owner Evan and he talked about the restaurant a little bit. It is an Orlando family owned restaurant.

The first thing you notice is a relief on the back wall that is about 20 feet high. Next, you notice that the furniture is really nice. It may be a bit tight (cramped) when the place fills up. At the time, there were only a few people in the restaurant and they were in the bar. There is a wine room that is glass/plexi encased off to the one side that can be reserved. There is also a red lacquered piano tucked into one corner that isn't immediately noticable.

Having quite a bit of restaurant experience under my belt, I would have liked to have seen the back of the house. I am curious to see how much space is in the back of the house.

Evan talked about items on the menu like he was the chef. He seemed very excited about the food. One menu item that peaked my interest is the Caesar Salad. It will be made completely from scratch tableside, including the sauce. There weren't any food items available on Friday, but I had a complimentary glass of their house Chard. It was good. Not too sweet; not too dry. Middle of the road, which is perfect for a house wine.

I don't remember the exact date, but he said the public grand opening will be the first week in April (1st-4th).

I actually had dinner at Black Olive last night. They are still in their soft opening so they did not have a full menu. However, I got to try some appetizers, the caesar salad and a few entrees. The presentation on all the dishes was top notch. Service was excellent (mainly since the place was dead I assume), and it felt more like an experience than just a meal.

Had octopus and mussels for the appetizers. Mussels were pretty mediocre, octopus was done well, did a good job of neutralizing the flavor. The caesar had a grand presentation and took about 5 minutes to make in front of us. It had a spicy kick to it, but again I wasn't overly impressed by the taste. I had some veal for my entree, the portion was a bit small but the presentation was excellent and the meat was perfect. My friend had the pasta and it was obviously home made... very thick noodles, unique flavor and once again excellent presentation.

Overall I would say the service was excellent, the food was decent, and the overall experience was very enjoyable. I will certainly be back. I just hope it catches on with the locals, it was DEAD when I was there, though I know it has not officially opened yet.

is this a high price, small portion place,but great taste? (kind of like luma)

if so sounds like a good place to go once in awhile when you want to dine in style, the menu does sound quite exotic, i hope it does catch on

has anyone eaten at senseo? i have walked past the last couple weeks and it has that whole miami vibe (outdoor seating area) and the red velvet rope outside to keep ppl thinking that the place is packed inside and you cant get in unless u know someone or wait forever...looks pretentious to me...but u never know

Tonight a large group of us went to Black Olive and I think we all were disappointed. The decor and atmosphere is very nice; however, we had very poor service and the food was average at best and not worth the price. A couple of us had the grilled octopus which was marinaded and served in about a 1 cup scoop with arugula--not worth the $12 price. A couple of us had the grilled sea bass which was ok. It was served with a fennel rissoto which was kind of pasty and bland. At $26, again not worth the price. One had tried the soup of the day which had a nice presentation where a large rolled egg noodle was placed at the bottom of the bowl with some kind of sliced chicken pate and when served, a chicken broth was poured over. The presentation greatly over shadowed the bland taste. One had the mushroom ravioli which contained 4 raviolis for $18 and again did not contain much flavor. A couple had the Parpadelli porchini mushroom pasta which again was not that good. The dinners were served two at a time so we gave everyone permission to eat their food as they got it. The server misplaced almost every order. One had the crabcakes which said they were good--that was the only positive comment. One did not receive her meal until everyone was done with theirs. We had to call for our waiter a couple of times for drinks and had to make 3 or 4 requests for bread. Almost every table was filled when we arrived, and I understand that in a soft opening the service may be off, but bland food is inexcuseable--unless things change I don't see this place lasting that long unfortunately.

I'm thinking about going. I have to cover part of the Florida Film Festival that night, but I think I will be able to squeeze in both. Not completely related, something that's really getting me is that I the Sarasota Film Festival moved its schedule up a couple weeks this year and coincides with the FFF. I can usually go to both, but now I have to split time or not go to Sarasota. :angry:

im so sad at the news i got today, my favorite froyo place, 'Cefiore' is going outta biz, last day is this coming friday march 6th

they roughly made it to a year of business, and there was a potential one going up in thornton park, but now everything is going away :(

if anyone is interested a club i am involved in is going to do an aftermeet there and give the place some last business, wednesday around 9pm

I read in the Orlando Sentinel Business news that Cefiore is reopening under new ownership, one for the local Quizno's franchise owners bought it.

Relax Cafe on Lake Eola is getting to be one of my favorite spots. They have been doing a lot of cool things including live music, but they also have a projection screen and have been showing movies on Thursday nights including Twilight and Milk the past few weeks. Drink prices are low and good food as well. We spent a half of a day out there Saturday under the canopy of the oak trees and light breeze--just beautiful!

Relax Cafe on Lake Eola is getting to be one of my favorite spots. They have been doing a lot of cool things including live music, but they also have a projection screen and have been showing movies on Thursday nights including Twilight and Milk the past few weeks. Drink prices are low and good food as well. We spent a half of a day out there Saturday under the canopy of the oak trees and light breeze--just beautiful!

This is the cafe by the swan boats, right?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Headed up to Winter Garden yesterday to find th European Cafe, but turns out it is gone. However, I stumbled across this cafe called Sweet Traditions. it's a French place but not fancy or expensive. the desert counter is HUGE, and very dangerously tempting. Their Onion Soup was great - not the beef bullion based salty stuff but really authentic oniony soup.

Headed up to Winter Garden yesterday to find th European Cafe, but turns out it is gone. However, I stumbled across this cafe called Sweet Traditions. it's a French place but not fancy or expensive. the desert counter is HUGE, and very dangerously tempting. Their Onion Soup was great - not the beef bullion based salty stuff but really authentic oniony soup.

I've been to Sweet Traditions a few times, I like it...deserts are awesome.

Graffiti Junktion in Thornton Park is great. I had chicken wings as an appetizer. They were really good wings. I usually don't care for batter or anything applied to wings prior to frying, but their's worked. Burger was cooked as ordered and full of flavor. Service was exceptional for a burger joint. One downfall. I ordered a Guinness and it came in a can. I still paid full price for it. If you don't have Guinness on tap, don't say you have it. It was a tad overpriced, too. Overall, it was a good experience, though.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.virginolivemarket.com/

this is the newest restaurant to open up at 801 n orange ave on the other side of shin sushi where the coffee shop was. virgin olive market is pretty tasty if anyone's up this way.

tried to go there last sunday, but they were closed... :( wanted to try it out as their former location was near an auto shop my friends own behind them, but they closed and moved before we could check it out! sad to see that it isnt convenient to us anymore, glad that it reopened up!

• 2 weeks later...