Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

It is on Orange and Jefferson or Orange and Robinson. One of the two intersections. At least it was last week.

I heard it was downtown for the day of the Magic pep rally, but gone again after that. I haven't been by there or by Ferncreek, but multiple people are telling me it's gone. In my book, he had the best hot dogs in town... better than HD Heaven.

• 2 weeks later...

went to black olive a couple weeks ago for the first time and it was absolutely amazing! very nicely decorated restaurant, great atmosphere and the food was delicious!

shared a motz and tomato app, 2 table side made caeser salads, a steak dinner and a fish dinner and a shared dessert plus a glass of wine and soda...all under $100 for 2 ... can't say that wasn't a great deal for one of the more swanky places in downtown...a full review on my site coming up in the next week or two... (in the process of moving downtown from the east side woo hoo!)

went to black olive a couple weeks ago for the first time and it was absolutely amazing! very nicely decorated restaurant, great atmosphere and the food was delicious!

shared a motz and tomato app, 2 table side made caeser salads, a steak dinner and a fish dinner and a shared dessert plus a glass of wine and soda...all under $100 for 2 ... can't say that wasn't a great deal for one of the more swanky places in downtown...a full review on my site coming up in the next week or two... (in the process of moving downtown from the east side woo hoo!)

Interesting that you speak of the black olive Surina. I have spoken to more than one person who has not been so kind to them. Reviews I've read on foodie boards have also been less than complimentary although I personally have not tried them myself. Has the food improved or was yours an exception. I'm hoping the former. Would love them to be successful and to draw other fine dining to downtown.

Interesting that you speak of the black olive Surina. I have spoken to more than one person who has not been so kind to them. Reviews I've read on foodie boards have also been less than complimentary although I personally have not tried them myself. Has the food improved or was yours an exception. I'm hoping the former. Would love them to be successful and to draw other fine dining to downtown.

Scott Joseph also just did a review on his flog and approved. Apparently, they have gotten past their opening jitters.

yea i think they were able to adjust themselves from their soft opening reviews...there were 4 of us at the table and our friends enjoyed their meal just as well so i know it wasn't just an exception, still have not had time to post my blog...hopefully will get around to it next week!

i can't say it has "improved" as it was my first time there...but im definitely going to have a welcome to the building dinner there again!

Edited by surina777

• 3 weeks later...

It has been about 2 weeks since Pesca opened and we throught we'd try it out on Tuesday. The renovations to the old Lee's Lakeside are nice but the space feels a bit underfurnished. Near the entrance is a sushi bar, there is an overflow dining area and a step down to the main dining area. The views from the main dining area are great for watching over Lake Eola, but I don't understand why half of it was blocked off by moving the bar in front of the windows. The artwork is out of place and cheap looking and I think the furniture is recycled from Rustic Steakhouse. For a Tuesday evening, the place was busier than I expected.

Because the floors are now tiled, the space feels cold and noisy. At this level of service, it might help to fit the tables with linen and maybe a softening of the windows with some kind of window treatment. The wait staff appears very unskilled and frumpy looking. The servers all wear black but most uniforms were dirty, unironed or too big. Our waitress lacked personality, hair appeared unkept, and had tatoos showing She was uneducated about any questions we had about the sparce menu and replied, "I don't know". After a series of my shocked stares, she said, "but I will check for you".

This is a fish place and had like 5 selections on the menu and was out of one of them (as well as a few other things). Without offering us a drink, she asked to take our order and she seemed kind of shocked after I placed a drink order that I was not placing my dinner order as well. The follow-up service was only to deliver food.

The menu is very limited, but I did order the Potato Encrusted Flounder, which was presented nicely, but was nothing spectacular taste-wise and at $24 and no sides, really was not worth it's price. Additionally the parmesian basil fries (think cold, reg order of McD's fries on cold plate sprinkled with parsley and parmesian cheese) at $6 also not worth the price. We had an order of tempura shrimp roll. That was nicely presented and good tasting. Also the pan fried gnocci was ordered, unfortunately it tasted of the oil used to fry fish, and was unacceptable.

I don't want to hate these new places and want them to succeed, but I don't understand why if they are supposed to be "experts" in the industry, they cannot see these shortcomings that an outsider can see? I would have thought Manny would have learned from his failure at Rustic. I liked Rustic, but service and food is substanitally worse here. I just don't understand...

One good thing, there is 10% off with Buy Local Orlando card.

^

I agree with your observations. Eventhough I havent ate there yet, I felt the bar area just look bad when looking from lake eola, with all the boxes and bottles exposed. The hostess wasnt even friendly when I ask to look at the menu at the front. She gave us the look of "Why are you wasting my time". I dont get it, I really do not get how these restaraunts expect to survive?

that sounds terrible, i was excited that something finally opened up in that space, but sounds like the waitstaff and mgmt from spice thornton park moved to pesca :( ... never have i had a good experience at spice thornton park...but the wp spice was great and the one time we were able to go to rustic was great as well...but hopefully pesca up's their game cuz that is a great locale, hate to see it empty again!

that sounds terrible, i was excited that something finally opened up in that space, but sounds like the waitstaff and mgmt from spice thornton park moved to pesca :( ... never have i had a good experience at spice thornton park...but the wp spice was great and the one time we were able to go to rustic was great as well...but hopefully pesca up's their game cuz that is a great locale, hate to see it empty again!

A group of us went to Pesca and gave them a second chance, I must say, this was a much more enjoyable experience, the service staff has some new people and stepped it up a bit. We went for drinks and appetizers and the service was quite attentive. The manager came around last night and asked for our feedback and I shared my last unfavorable experience which hopefully he will address. Last night was busy and the atmosphere is a lot more intimate after dark.

A group of us went to Pesca and gave them a second chance, I must say, this was a much more enjoyable experience, the service staff has some new people and stepped it up a bit. We went for drinks and appetizers and the service was quite attentive. The manager came around last night and asked for our feedback and I shared my last unfavorable experience which hopefully he will address. Last night was busy and the atmosphere is a lot more intimate after dark.

that is great to hear! i hear there happy hour is pretty good...i still will give them a shot...but glad to hear they are up'ing their game...i wonder if the manager googles his restaurant name for reviews and ran across this lil ol website and fixed his ish! hahaha

• 1 month later...

There's one added abode I apperceive that in fact has alarming pizza. However, its not downtown. Its in the winter park/maitland breadth just south on lk howell ln off of howell annex rd. Parallel to the west of 436 in the windixie plaza. Its small, but I acquaint u, the slices are awesome! Brings me back.

Patio furniture

There's one added abode I apperceive that in fact has alarming pizza. However, its not downtown. Its in the winter park/maitland breadth just south on lk howell ln off of howell annex rd. Parallel to the west of 436 in the windixie plaza. Its small, but I acquaint u, the slices are awesome! Brings me back.

Patio furniture

Yoda? :dunno:

• 1 month later...

If you are up for a little simple kind of lunch or sandwich there is a new place I visited just today. It is called "Italian Beefstro" located on W. Colonial just a block past the Arena. It specializes in Chicago food like Italian Beef Sandwiches and Chicago Hot Dogs. I am so happy that they are finally serving food like this here. I routinely have sandwiches shipped in from Portillos in Chicago and these are not too far off. Check it out if you get a chance. It was fantastic!

• 2 months later...

has anyone been taking advantage of the buylocalorlando program? fyi mucho taco n tequila that recently opened at the bottom of 101 eola states on the buylocal site that it is 15% off bill but claims it cannot honor it b/c their system cant do the discount... food is good but that is just bs, they get advertising through buy local but do not honor the advertised discount boo on them! read more about my experience on my blog if u wish :) FIRST time i have ever had a buylocal merchant not honor the advertised discount

has anyone been taking advantage of the buylocalorlando program? fyi mucho taco n tequila that recently opened at the bottom of 101 eola states on the buylocal site that it is 15% off bill but claims it cannot honor it b/c their system cant do the discount... food is good but that is just bs, they get advertising through buy local but do not honor the advertised discount boo on them! read more about my experience on my blog if u wish :) FIRST time i have ever had a buylocal merchant not honor the advertised discount

got an email from buylocal today and they said that mucho apologizes and has changed their discount to $3 margaritas after 6.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

did anyone get a chance to check out banana's diner that just opened up this past weekend? i unfortunately had someone tell me about a bad experience there and I posted it in my blog but after a little bit of digging on urbanspoon i found that she wasn't the only one...

anyone on here?

Funny story about that. I was having breakfast at Chuck's this past Sunday and overheard the owners making fun of Bananas because they charged $25 for a chili dog. Apparently it's 22 inches long and comes with a pound of fries. Oh and if you finish it in 15 minutes you get a t-shirt. I didn't have the heart to tell them about the $69 hot dog in Serendipity 3 in NYC.

aw just read black olive is changing and becoming an "upscale" burger bar ... i really enjoyed dining there

hope this makes them the profits to stick around and not vacate!

http://orlando.bizjo...26&ana=e_du_pub

Surina, you probably already knew this - but since it hasn't been mentioned in this thread, Bluesmoke Burger Bar closed after only 5 weeks.