Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

When I critiqued for a local Boston newspaper it was common practice not to review a restaurant during it's opening phase. We'd typically give them 2 months.

that sounds like a good 'best practice' for a publication, orlando weekly tells me they do the same...but im just someone who likes good food :) so no rules for reviews for me! i do go back and re-review a place sometimes

after a horrid experience at brick and fire when it was behind dessert lady...i gave it another shot when it relocated to orange ave...service was def better, but the pizza was terrible! its still open though...so good for them :)

that sounds like a good 'best practice' for a publication, orlando weekly tells me they do the same...but im just someone who likes good food :) so no rules for reviews for me! i do go back and re-review a place sometimes

after a horrid experience at brick and fire when it was behind dessert lady...i gave it another shot when it relocated to orange ave...service was def better, but the pizza was terrible! its still open though...so good for them :)

For what it's worth, despite Scott J's shilling for it, I have yet to hear any of my friends offer a good review of Bananas. I hope they will improve but it is sad the Funky guys couldn't do a better startup.

I know im comparing watermelons to grapes here, but after coming back from NY for the first time, i find orlando (downtown) kinda boring. I think i have explored every restaraunt/bars it has to offer. Cant wait when the new places opens up in Church st. Btw, just read the August Orlando Magazine today. Hue, Citrus, and Kress voted best restaraunt in downtown. Hmm, all owned by same owner, any influences???

I know im comparing watermelons to grapes here, but after coming back from NY for the first time, i find orlando (downtown) kinda boring. I think i have explored every restaraunt/bars it has to offer. Cant wait when the new places opens up in Church st. Btw, just read the August Orlando Magazine today. Hue, Citrus, and Kress voted best restaraunt in downtown. Hmm, all owned by same owner, any influences???

You are definitely comparing apples to eagles on this one. Unless you can find a city of Orlando's size, in both geography and population, that has a nightlife comparable to New York City, then there is no comparison to be made. It's my opinion that outside of SoHo/Greenwich Village, Manhattan can get boring real-fast.

You are definitely comparing apples to eagles on this one. Unless you can find a city of Orlando's size, in both geography and population, that has a nightlife comparable to New York City, then there is no comparison to be made. It's my opinion that outside of SoHo/Greenwich Village, Manhattan can get boring real-fast.

I guess that depends on what you're into.

• 4 months later...

So anything new in the restaurant scene lately?

There are actually three new restaurants opening soon in Avalon Park. I know most people won't come to Avalon Park just for dinner, but the office where I work is in downtown Avalon and I LOVE being a 5 minute walk from a dozen restaurants, sandwich shops, and bakeries -- as well as a grocery store and a gas station. (And all the other daily services - banks, pharmacy, haircuts, and shipping - for that matter.)

The three new places are (I'm kind of guessing at the house numbers):

• Avalon Pockets, 3588 Avalon Park East Blvd - gyros and other Mediterranean quick dishes (open, but full menu next month)
  • Tropical Cafe, 3849 Avalon Park East Blvd - looks like it'll be a bakery and/or smoothie shop
  • Japanese Steak House, 3800 block Avalon Park East Bvld - big corner storefront, so this will probably be a sit-down dinner place

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I visited a new Asian Tapas Gastropub type restaurant in the Mills/1792/Asian food area this past weekend called HAWKERS. The food was amazing. I was so impressed with everything that they did. Prices were fantastic (nothing over $6-$8 or so) and everything is authentic and mostly hand made including noodles and flat breads.

I begged them to not change anything as they hit imminent success (as many restaurants do). Very casual, good beer selection, great prices, fantastic food. Definitely check it out!

Located at 1103 Mills Ave

• 4 weeks later...

I went to dinner tonight at the new Terrace 390 in the bottom of the Bank of America Building (Old Harvey's Bistro) and had a great evening. The decor is great and they have a great variety on the menu with very reasonable prices and wonderful service. Even though this was their first day open, our large group had nothing to complain about. The drinks were great, the food was awesome and the service was on par. (The waiters have ipads to take orders and also can show photos of everything on their menu). The outside courtyard is a couple of weeks from completion but the plan is to have live music and dancing thursday-saturday nights. They will also be serving brunch on Saturday and Sunday Mornings. If everything runs like it did tonight, they will be successful. Make sure you try the homemade potato chips with blue cheese dip. It is a huge plate for $3.95...and don't skip the desserts. This place has the greatest variety on their menu of any place downtown.

Excited to try Terrace 390 - it's at least partially owned by former UCF quarterback Kyle Israel.

Pine 22, which went in the former location of the failed Black Olive and Bluesmoke Burger Bar is really good. Fantastic beef and sandwhich selections like types of buns and unique toppings and more casual than the other locations had been. You pay when you order and they bring it out to you. Decent prices for the higher quality of meat they use.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to dinner tonight at the new Terrace 390 in the bottom of the Bank of America Building (Old Harvey's Bistro) and had a great evening. The decor is great and they have a great variety on the menu with very reasonable prices and wonderful service. Even though this was their first day open, our large group had nothing to complain about. The drinks were great, the food was awesome and the service was on par. (The waiters have ipads to take orders and also can show photos of everything on their menu). The outside courtyard is a couple of weeks from completion but the plan is to have live music and dancing thursday-saturday nights. They will also be serving brunch on Saturday and Sunday Mornings. If everything runs like it did tonight, they will be successful. Make sure you try the homemade potato chips with blue cheese dip. It is a huge plate for $3.95...and don't skip the desserts. This place has the greatest variety on their menu of any place downtown.

Agreed, went there last night and I enjoyed it. Felt like I was in a different city. Services at the bar was extremely awesome. Surprise by a rather good crowd around 9pm on a friday night. The drinks are not expensive at all. Mix drinks (wells) are only $4, and its huge. The breast chicken, macroni cheese, mash potatoes were awesome, reasonably at $12, albiet the portions can be alittle more. I def. be back.