Orlando Restaurants & Bars

If you are up for a little simple kind of lunch or sandwich there is a new place I visited just today. It is called "Italian Beefstro" located on W. Colonial just a block past the Arena. It specializes in Chicago food like Italian Beef Sandwiches and Chicago Hot Dogs. I am so happy that they are finally serving food like this here. I routinely have sandwiches shipped in from Portillos in Chicago and these are not too far off. Check it out if you get a chance. It was fantastic!

• 2 months later...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tried Russell’s last night for happy hour, just a couple apps and drinks. They’ve done a fantastic job with the space, the wall by the lake is all windows and provides an incredible sunset view overlo

Not sure if this has been discussed anywhere but had the chance to try the newly opened "Cavo's" (original Graffiti) on Washington.  Have to say their limited menu was fantastic and I'd definitely go

Went to the tiny "Kathi Rolls" (Indian street food) for lunch today.  All I can say is WOW!  Had the lamb/beef tikka roll and a side of beef keema loaded fries.  MUST TRY!  This place is fantastic des

Posted Images

has anyone been taking advantage of the buylocalorlando program? fyi mucho taco n tequila that recently opened at the bottom of 101 eola states on the buylocal site that it is 15% off bill but claims it cannot honor it b/c their system cant do the discount... food is good but that is just bs, they get advertising through buy local but do not honor the advertised discount boo on them! read more about my experience on my blog if u wish :) FIRST time i have ever had a buylocal merchant not honor the advertised discount

has anyone been taking advantage of the buylocalorlando program? fyi mucho taco n tequila that recently opened at the bottom of 101 eola states on the buylocal site that it is 15% off bill but claims it cannot honor it b/c their system cant do the discount... food is good but that is just bs, they get advertising through buy local but do not honor the advertised discount boo on them! read more about my experience on my blog if u wish :) FIRST time i have ever had a buylocal merchant not honor the advertised discount

got an email from buylocal today and they said that mucho apologizes and has changed their discount to $3 margaritas after 6.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

did anyone get a chance to check out banana's diner that just opened up this past weekend? i unfortunately had someone tell me about a bad experience there and I posted it in my blog but after a little bit of digging on urbanspoon i found that she wasn't the only one...

anyone on here?

did anyone get a chance to check out banana's diner that just opened up this past weekend? i unfortunately had someone tell me about a bad experience there and I posted it in my blog but after a little bit of digging on urbanspoon i found that she wasn't the only one...

anyone on here?

Funny story about that. I was having breakfast at Chuck's this past Sunday and overheard the owners making fun of Bananas because they charged $25 for a chili dog. Apparently it's 22 inches long and comes with a pound of fries. Oh and if you finish it in 15 minutes you get a t-shirt. I didn't have the heart to tell them about the $69 hot dog in Serendipity 3 in NYC.

aw just read black olive is changing and becoming an "upscale" burger bar ... i really enjoyed dining there

hope this makes them the profits to stick around and not vacate!

http://orlando.bizjo...26&ana=e_du_pub

Surina, you probably already knew this - but since it hasn't been mentioned in this thread, Bluesmoke Burger Bar closed after only 5 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

When I critiqued for a local Boston newspaper it was common practice not to review a restaurant during it's opening phase. We'd typically give them 2 months.

that sounds like a good 'best practice' for a publication, orlando weekly tells me they do the same...but im just someone who likes good food :) so no rules for reviews for me! i do go back and re-review a place sometimes

after a horrid experience at brick and fire when it was behind dessert lady...i gave it another shot when it relocated to orange ave...service was def better, but the pizza was terrible! its still open though...so good for them :)

that sounds like a good 'best practice' for a publication, orlando weekly tells me they do the same...but im just someone who likes good food :) so no rules for reviews for me! i do go back and re-review a place sometimes

after a horrid experience at brick and fire when it was behind dessert lady...i gave it another shot when it relocated to orange ave...service was def better, but the pizza was terrible! its still open though...so good for them :)

For what it's worth, despite Scott J's shilling for it, I have yet to hear any of my friends offer a good review of Bananas. I hope they will improve but it is sad the Funky guys couldn't do a better startup.

I know im comparing watermelons to grapes here, but after coming back from NY for the first time, i find orlando (downtown) kinda boring. I think i have explored every restaraunt/bars it has to offer. Cant wait when the new places opens up in Church st. Btw, just read the August Orlando Magazine today. Hue, Citrus, and Kress voted best restaraunt in downtown. Hmm, all owned by same owner, any influences???

Well take it for what it's worth, but I live in Boston and on return from New York, I find it boring as well. New York is in a caliber that only a few others can claim, those include Paris, London, and Tokyo, with a few emerging world cities like Shanghai and Berlin (both have a ways to go).

I know im comparing watermelons to grapes here, but after coming back from NY for the first time, i find orlando (downtown) kinda boring. I think i have explored every restaraunt/bars it has to offer. Cant wait when the new places opens up in Church st. Btw, just read the August Orlando Magazine today. Hue, Citrus, and Kress voted best restaraunt in downtown. Hmm, all owned by same owner, any influences???

You are definitely comparing apples to eagles on this one. Unless you can find a city of Orlando's size, in both geography and population, that has a nightlife comparable to New York City, then there is no comparison to be made. It's my opinion that outside of SoHo/Greenwich Village, Manhattan can get boring real-fast.

No, Orlando doesn't have quite the variety of New York City, but it also doesn't have that kind of population to support it. Few cities I think can offer that.

I think Orlando does decent, it's biggest problem is that it seems everyone wants to be a chain. With the exception of some very fancy establishments, and some ethnic eateries, every thing at least tries to think in terms of an operation, not just a restaurant. I would love to find some smaller places focusing on solo diners, or people looking for more advdenturous food without being so trendy.

You are definitely comparing apples to eagles on this one. Unless you can find a city of Orlando's size, in both geography and population, that has a nightlife comparable to New York City, then there is no comparison to be made. It's my opinion that outside of SoHo/Greenwich Village, Manhattan can get boring real-fast.

I guess that depends on what you're into.

@Cloudship.

I agree. Considering that Orlando is home to the Rosen School of Hospitality, now the largest of its kind in the nation, one would think that the area would be an entrepot of budding restauranturs.

Edited by mrh3

Sorry, didnt mean to rant on orlando. I love living downtown orlando, been doing it for 5 years. Just feel theres nothing left to explore. And when I read that Hues, Citrus, and Kress voted best dining in downtown, and Panera and Publix have the best bakery in town, I just wanted to hurl.

not really a restaurant but I guessed that Urban Body clothing shop in Thornton is closing. Saw the closing sales signs this weekend. Surprise it lasted 9 nine years. Who wouldnt want to buy $70 tshirts? On sale!

A friend of mine heard rumors that Burton's is closing? Any truth to that? Hope not.

The Orlando Brewery looked into but the costs were too high. The problem with breweries is that they need a lot of space for the equipment but do not generate revenue from that space. So many of them end up in industrial areas.

Sadly, Orlando Brewery is sinking as is. Get out there people!

As for Burtons? No way.