Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

Don't worry - I am sure 2 or 3 will spring up to replace it.

Well, Walgreens' Duane Reade stores started offering small kegs of beer in NYC - maybe if they open a 24-hour drugstore downtown they could fake it as a bar. And then we could get Ace Hardware to stock items and offer lessons for building barstools or maybe a still. Perhaps we just need to get creative to get actual retail downtown!

• Like 1

Those guys can spend all the money they want, but you can't take the Orlando out of Orlando. The real problem has less to do with venues themselves than it does with the lack of population density, disposable income, and safe transportation options home after a night of boozin'.

But that can't be! We don't have nearly enough bars downtown!

Spencer,

I counted 46 bars on the Downtown Orlando website alone. That's some pretty heavy density. It might even meet or exceed what we have Downtown Manhattan in some spots...

Update: I did the math and there are 36 bars per square mile in Manhattan. I used the New York Magazine Bar and Club Search and the total square mileage of the island including land and water. Using land only it goes up to 58.

Edited by mrh3

• 3 months later...

While the Burger Bubble has been discussed in some detail on Orlando Sentinel and the Business Journal these restaurants are just the beginning of a whole wave of new and growing restaurants in the Central Florida region. With the burger joints numbers alone there should be at least 100 new restaurants opening in Central Florida in the next few years.

I wrote a two part series on all the new and growing restaurants around Central Florida.

Coming Soon: Restaurants, Restaurants everywhere

In part 1 I cover

• Boardwalk Burgers
  • BurgerFi
  • Burger21
  • Shula's Burgers
  • Hardee's
  • Mooyah Burgers
  • Union Burgers
  • Smash Burgers
  • Sunshine Diner
  • Panera Bread (throughout Central Florida)
  • The Club at NBA City
  • Barley House on Church St
  • and a few other rumors and tidbits of local restaurant news and rumors.

In Part 2 coming Wednesday I'll cover

• Mills/50 Kobe
    • Anthony's Pizza
    • Ethos Vegan Kitchen
    • Jersey Mike's
    • McDonald's on Orlando Ave
    • 4 Rivers Winter Park
    • Cask and Larder
    • Spice on Park
    • Galopin Cuisine
    • Miller's Ale House Winter Park

Let me know if I missed any or if any the news I mention has been updated.

• 3 weeks later...

Did a bit of a summary on some downtown drinking establishments including;

Coming Soon: Downtown Drinking Establishments

• Bliss (Closed)
  • Heat Space (?)
  • Cheyenne Salon (Ale House?)
  • The Fifth (Opened)
  • Pine/Orange (3 story slide building?)
  • The Courtesy (Opening soon, Zimmerman's mixology place)
  • Magnolia south of Central bar (?)
  • 111 (Tastings)
  • World of Beer (Lee Lakeside?)

Any others coming or closing creating news?

Did a bit of a summary on some downtown drinking establishments including;

Coming Soon: Downtown Drinking Establishments

• Bliss (Closed)
  • Heat Space (?)
  • Cheyenne Salon (Ale House?)
  • The Fifth (Opened)
  • Pine/Orange (3 story slide building?)
  • The Courtesy (Opening soon, Zimmerman's mixology place)
  • Magnolia south of Central bar (?)
  • 111 (Tastings)
  • World of Beer (Lee Lakeside?)

Any others coming or closing creating news?

Bliss closed? I'm disappointed. That was one of the only true large dance clubs downtown that was actually pretty nice.

Do you think Church St is trying to push to be more upscale and appeal to a more mature crowd what with the arena there and upcoming Mad Cow and DPPAC? It's going to be hard to achieve that as long as Antigua, Mako's, and Chillers are there.

Edited by Pete C

Bliss closed? I'm disappointed. That was one of the only true large dance clubs downtown that was actually pretty nice.

Do you think Church St is trying to push to be more upscale and appeal to a more mature crowd what with the arena there and upcoming Mad Cow and DPPAC? It's going to be hard to achieve that as long as Antigua, Mako's, and Chillers are there.

I think Tastings also closed recently.

• 2 months later...

Saddened by the closing of the Dessert Lady on Church Street, what other venues do you think could make great use of the space? I personally found the Euro-Bohemian style of the venue to be cozy and distinct to the area. Perhaps an upscale cocktail & craft beer venue with a combined gallery (an upscale version of XL) could do well in the space?

As for other restaurants and bars in the Downtown/Thornton Park area, does anyone know the timeframe for:

Benjamin French Bakery & Café at 716 E. Washington (former Marie France clothier). Buildout looks to be complete and opening impending. I'm personally looking forward to this one!

DTA- Don't Tell Anyone Modern Speakeasy in 101 Eola, facing Church Street. Buildout seems to be moderately progressing. Other than the name and poster out front, I don't know much about this business.

Aura Restaurant & Bar in 101 Eola at the corner of Eola and Church. Quite possibly the longest buildout in restaurant history, buildout seems to be speeding up a bit. Anyone have an anticipated opening date for this one?

Hooch (formerly The Globe) at Wall Street Plaza. This craft liquor and beer house should be opening soon if not already. Young Jewish Professionals Monthly Happy Hour (as made famous by MTV's The Wake Brothers) is planned for this venue in early September.

Loft 55. No information on this--- Buildout Progress?

Barley House- No details.

The Club at NBA City in Amway Center made its offical announcement last week. Though on the far end of the Amway Center, if anything like other NBA City locations, the atmosphere and food ought to be promising. The challenge will be getting patrons to that side of Church Street on non-game days, much less that end of the Amway Center.

Edited by Captain.Metro

Saddened by the closing of the Dessert Lady on Church Street, what other venues do you think could make great use of the space? I personally found the Euro-Bohemian style of the venue to be cozy and distinct to the area. Perhaps an upscale cocktail & craft beer venue with a combined gallery (an upscale version of XL) could do well in the space?

As for other restaurants and bars in the Downtown/Thornton Park area, does anyone know the timeframe for:

Benjamin French Bakery & Café at 716 E. Washington (former Marie France clothier). Buildout looks to be complete and opening impending. I'm personally looking forward to this one!

DTA- Don't Tell Anyone Modern Speakeasy in 101 Eola, facing Church Street. Buildout seems to be moderately progressing. Other than the name and poster out front, I don't know much about this business.

Aura Restaurant & Bar in 101 Eola at the corner of Eola and Church. Quite possibly the longest buildout in restaurant history, buildout seems to be speeding up a bit. Anyone have an anticipated opening date for this one?

Hooch (formerly The Globe) at Wall Street Plaza. This craft liquor and beer house should be opening soon if not already. Young Jewish Professionals Monthly Happy Hour (as made famous by MTV's The Wake Brothers) is planned for this venue in early September.

Loft 55. No information on this--- Buildout Progress?

Barley House- No details.

The Club at NBA City in Amway Center made its offical announcement last week. Though on the far end of the Amway Center, if anything like other NBA City locations, the atmosphere and food ought to be promising. The challenge will be getting patrons to that side of Church Street on non-game days, much less that end of the Amway Center.

DTA & Aura: I live in 101 and on my way to and from church st through our side entrance i've kept up with the build-out inside these spaces. they are taking forever but most recently i've seen framing and drywall going up and tiles being laid. also saw a table full of sample stemware/ dishes/ glasses/ etc in the aura space- probably picking out what they'll have. was told they had a change of design/layout recently and had to go through repermitting or whatever. looks like it's still coming along seems to be workers in there at least daily M-F.