Chemmie

Orlando Restaurants & Bars

A new minute in Orlando City website about a new artsy cafe here is the detail

Arts and Culture Assistance Application and Agreement for Dandelion's "Communitea" Cafe. Approved the Application and Agreement for Dandelion's "Communitea" Cafe, and authorized execution of same by the Mayor/Mayor Pro Tem and City Clerk, subject to review and approval by the Office of Legal Affairs. Dandelion's "Communitea" Cafe is an upscale urban cafe specializing in herbal teas and organic foods. The business will be located at 618 North Thornton Avenue. Upon initial start-up, the Dandelion's Communitea Cafe will employ three employees at an average wage of $30,000.00. Over the next year, the business will create a minimum of ten full and part-time positions. The Arts and Culture Assistance Program was designed to encourage arts and culture-related businesses and organizations to locate, expand, or redevelop in the Traditional City of Orlando. Eligible applicants include not-for-profit or for-profit arts and culture-related organizations, or a business/organization incorporating an arts component (i.e. an art gallery within an establishment). Dandelions "Communitea" Cafe has applied for assistance via the City of Orlando's Arts and Culture Assistance Program. Dandelions "Communitea" Cafe will showcase the works of local artists and musicians. Artists will be present at showings and participate in forums and other scheduled activities. Because Dandelions "Communitea" Cafe is incorporating an arts component into its business plan, the City will utilize its Arts and Culture Program to offset eligible Transportation Impact Fees and Sewer Benefit Fees. Eligible Transportation Impact Fees for Dandelions "Communitea" Cafe total $8,399.00. Eligible Sewer Benefit Fees for the business total $4,872.00. The Arts and Culture Assistance Program pays 50% of eligible fees up to $20,000.00. Based on this calculation, the Arts and Culture Assistance Program will assist with Transportation Impact Fees in the amount of $4,199.00, and Sewer Benefit Fees in the amount of $2,436.00. The total incentive offered is $6,635.00 , filed and documentary #051026B12;

Has anyone tried the Fondue restaurant on Sand Lake Rd? I think it is called The Melting Pot or something like that. It may be a chain, but if so one I have not seen elsewhere. I am also curious about the Cafe Tu Tu Tango. I am headed down there in a few weeks to visit a friend, who in his 12 years down there has almost never gone out to eat anywhere outside of the parks. So I want to find something that is a bit unusual, maybe a bit hip, but not so ethnic he won't find something to eat. And something not Italian.

Is Ichiban only sushi, or Japanese?

The most authentic Japanese I have had here in Orlando, and the best sushi that I have had since Japan has been at Sushi Tomi on Sand lake and John Young by the Staples. That california roll garbage is not sushi!!!

The most authentic Japanese I have had here in Orlando, and the best sushi that I have had since Japan has been at Sushi Tomi on Sand lake and John Young by the Staples. That california roll garbage is not sushi!!!

Agreed... Sushi Tomi was recommended to me by Japanese friends and is excellent. I do like Ichiban however, so if you're downtown give it a try.

Also, like Sunshine says, Cafe' TuTu Tango serves their food tapas style, so it is meant to be shared. Their gator tail is recommended as is the hummus. It's definitely a fun place to visit with friends from out of town. It too is a chain, but at least an uncommon one with nightly entertainment and a unique martini and beer list. If you're in the I-Drive area, and want some good coffee, across from Cafe' TuTu Tango is Bad Ass Coffee Co. serving authentic Kona coffee beverages accompanied by an uber friendly staff.

Edited by WeNeed2Progress

... minute in Orlando City website about a new artsy cafe here is the detail

Arts and Culture Assistance Application and Agreement for Dandelion's "Communitea" Cafe. Approved the Application and Agreement for Dandelion's "Communitea" Cafe, and authorized execution of same by the Mayor/Mayor Pro Tem and City Clerk, subject to review and approval by the Office of Legal Affairs...

Thanks for this posting, Sunshine... this place reminds me of Moby's tea house 'Teany'. I hope this proves to be an awesome place to hang out!

[is scouring apartment for furniture and dishes to donate to Dandelion]

I went to a "tea tasting" there last weekend. They were getting people to come in and try out some of their teas, give some feedback, etc.

Good stuff. I hope they are able to make a go of it.

I'm not a huge tea person, but I enjoy a cup now and then. Tatame in Winter Park makes some killer jasmine tea, and the food's not too shabby either.

Has anyone tried the Fondue restaurant on Sand Lake Rd? I think it is called The Melting Pot or something like that. It may be a chain, but if so one I have not seen elsewhere. I am also curious about the Cafe Tu Tu Tango. I am headed down there in a few weeks to visit a friend, who in his 12 years down there has almost never gone out to eat anywhere outside of the parks. So I want to find something that is a bit unusual, maybe a bit hip, but not so ethnic he won't find something to eat. And something not Italian.

I haven't tried out the Sand Lake location, but I have been to the one in Greenville, SC while visiting some friends. I was fairly impressed although I would like to find a fondue place that isn't a chain so I can make an educated comparison. The atmosphere was nice and I left pretty full. A dinner for two without drinks will run you about 45 to 55 bucks plus tip and if I remember correctly I think they offered a four course meal for two for around 75 bucks. I've thought about trying one out down hear, but just haven't made the time.

There's a The Melting Pot in Dallas and it's also a fondue place. No idea if it's a chain. I've never been able to make myself eat there, it seems like just fondue wouldn't be too satisfying.

Should have guessed. Everything in Orlando seems to be part of some chain.

Quick off topic ? - are there any cafes or decent fast food places (like Panera) that offer free wireless? I looked on Panera's Website, but none of them seemed to have Wireless down there.

Quick off topic ? - are there any cafes or decent fast food places (like Panera) that offer free wireless? I looked on Panera's Website, but none of them seemed to have Wireless down there.

All the local Panera's offer free wireless. For some reason, their website just doesn't indicate it.

Moe's Southwest Grill has wi-fi, so perhaps Mama Fu's Noodle House and WOW Cafe' also have wi-fi. I would also find out whether or not Testa Rossa or Saucy Bella also have wi-fi. Hope this helps.

I drove by Urban Think yesterday and saw a sign out front that mentioned free WiFi. I know it's not a restaurant, but they do have coffee and wine.

I've driven on I-4 from about College Park to OBT and gotten a wireless connection the whole way.

There are plenty of connections to "steal" in the downtown area.

Thanks - this is great!

I am not from down there, just visitng a friend. But I want to try something a little bit, well, different. What is Mama Fu's and Testa Rosa?

Mama Fu's Noodle House is operated by the same creators of Moe's Southwest Grill and features pan-Asian cuisine in an upbeat atmosphere. Testa Rossa is the first in the US of a European chain and is excellent! They feature their own brand of espresso (that meets my approval), sandwiches, salads, desserts, and a full wine list. Think of it as a more upscale version of Panera.

It appears as if I got the name of the new coffee shop opening on Robinson wrong, it's not Java Java coffee shop but "Lava Java Coffee Shop" (or the other way around). Visible work is finally being done on the inside.

As for Greens & Grille in the Shoppes at Millenia; I went there... it's okay. The menu is confusingly laid out. I wound up ordering more than what was considered an entree or something and resulted in it being an expensive lunch for what it was. The food is okay, nothing spectacular, but the price and seemingly deceptive menu left a bad taste. Most of the staff was pretty nice though. The tomato bisque... leave it, it's too watery.

They do have free wi-fi. At some point I will return to see if they worked the kinks out.

Well. as it turned out I did not get much of a chance to try anything different, for a variety or reasons. We did do Mam Fu's - it wasn't bad. It's supposed to be asian fusion - I thought it was more contemporary asian. Not much for noodles, either. According to the waiter, they had a limited menu from the other locations, but they were supposed to be bringing it up to the regular standard for other places. It was kind of wierd - sit down dining in what was essentially a moew-type atmosphere. I wanted to try Testa Rossa but didn't get a chance - it is right next door.

We stopped at Urban Think - I was rather quite underwhelmed. I guess there is not much like this down in Orlando, but it was nothing spectacular by northeastern standards. Not much for books, merchandise, or coffee bar.

I was, however, impressed by the Lake Eola/Thorton park area - didn't know it was there - looked pretty nice!

-Italian I liked Babbo in College Park- they have the best bread and it's nice to sit out on the porch and eat

-White Wolf is good- I was there for lunch and had the pizza- a bit pricey though

-Mexican- there are no good mex restatuants, I used to live in arizona and nothing here comes close

-Pizza and beer- Mellow Muchroom is good, but their beer is the reason to go, same with Jax's in College park, good beer- food is so-so

-Chinese- PeiWei is good and fast, Jade Bistro has great Sushi

what's the best seafood out there? everytime I go somewhere I'm disappointed.

There's a seafood place in Orlando on I-Drive called Boston....don't know the other part of it, but they're a seafood buffet place. Their food is $20 a plate, but it's off the hook.

There is a great mexican resturant,, its very quant, and very good, its called San Jose and its in shopping center at 50 and Hiawassee, right next to dollar store and Bed Bath and beyond, you wont be dissapointed. :D