Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

DTA & Aura: I live in 101 and on my way to and from church st through our side entrance i've kept up with the build-out inside these spaces. they are taking forever but most recently i've seen framing and drywall going up and tiles being laid. also saw a table full of sample stemware/ dishes/ glasses/ etc in the aura space- probably picking out what they'll have. was told they had a change of design/layout recently and had to go through repermitting or whatever. looks like it's still coming along seems to be workers in there at least daily M-F.

Glad to know I'm not the only one using the side entrance only to check up on the progress of these spots!

• Like 1

"Benjamin French Bakery & Café at 716 E. Washington (former Marie France clothier). Buildout looks to be complete and opening impending. I'm personally looking forward to this one!"

That was a pretty quick turnaround after Marie France's move so we end up +1 on filling empty spaces. Hopefully a sign of more to come.

I am waiting anxiously for the opening of the Cask & Larder in the old Harper's/Le Cordon Bleu spot in WP. It's from the folks at The Ravenous Pig and they are apparently going out of their way to keep some of the historic features from the old building. I did find it a little ironic that they're billing themselves as a "Southern Public House" in what has to be one of the least Southern towns in central Florida but still can't wait until September 5th.

I am waiting anxiously for the opening of the Cask & Larder in the old Harper's/Le Cordon Bleu spot in WP. It's from the folks at The Ravenous Pig and they are apparently going out of their way to keep some of the historic features from the old building. I did find it a little ironic that they're billing themselves as a "Southern Public House" in what has to be one of the least Southern towns in central Florida but still can't wait until September 5th.

I peeked inside on Tuesday; the interior looks great. I'm too am looking forward to the opening of this one. I was unaware of its affiliation with Ravenous Pig. Sounds promising!

DTA & Aura: I live in 101 and on my way to and from church st through our side entrance i've kept up with the build-out inside these spaces. they are taking forever but most recently i've seen framing and drywall going up and tiles being laid. also saw a table full of sample stemware/ dishes/ glasses/ etc in the aura space- probably picking out what they'll have. was told they had a change of design/layout recently and had to go through repermitting or whatever. looks like it's still coming along seems to be workers in there at least daily M-F.

I stopped by there on Tuesday and chatted with a guy doing drywall. He said they would be done by end of next month and that the restaurant was wanting to open by mid-fall/early winter. No later than end of the year. Then he mumbled something about unless things change again. It was pouring down rain so I didn't stand out there for long chatting with him but hopefully we find out more soon.

They've been posting ads on their FB page since beginning of the month saying their looking for bartenders.

P8210190.JPG

P8210068.JPGP8210065.JPG

Eola Square still confuses me a bit, it's not really alive yet, but not dead either. Until another building fills in the empty lot cady-corner to where Aura is going the area will just fill empty to me.

Until the area builds up some more I just don't know if downtown can support another 'entertainment' district. With Church Street, Thornton Park, Wall Street, and Central all having restaurants/bars being the main attraction and tenants I have to wonder what will be the breaking point.

I'd love to see a different type of restaurant in downtown instead of just more of the same. We desperately need a 24hr diner in downtown and at least one or two fast food options. I'm tired of only having Subway or drive-thrus as my post 2am option, and the entire staff at Denny's know me by name now. We need a local late night sit-down option within downtown.

Benjamin French Bakery & Café at 716 E. Washington (former Marie France clothier). Buildout looks to be complete and opening impending. I'm personally looking forward to this one!

Loft 55. No information on this--- Buildout Progress?

The Club at NBA City in Amway Center made its offical announcement last week. Though on the far end of the Amway Center, if anything like other NBA City locations, the atmosphere and food ought to be promising. The challenge will be getting patrons to that side of Church Street on non-game days, much less that end of the Amway Center.

The bakery does not seem to have any activity for almost two months every week when I look into it.

Loft 55 had their job fair in July and their website says opening August 2012. http://loft55orlando.com/

The Club at NBA city will only be open on days of Amway events.

You also forgot about One Eleven (old Tastings). They have had that buildout completed several months. Two months ago I peeked in and the coolers were stocked with beverages. I have no idea what the hold up is.

The bakery does not seem to have any activity for almost two months every week when I look into it.

Loft 55 had their job fair in July and their website says opening August 2012. http://loft55orlando.com/

The Club at NBA city will only be open on days of Amway events.

You also forgot about One Eleven (old Tastings). They have had that buildout completed several months. Two months ago I peeked in and the coolers were stocked with beverages. I have no idea what the hold up is.

Benjamin seemed to have completed major buildout wihtin the past two weeks. Their Facebook page was recently updated and mentioned their new location at Washington (formerly in Lake Nona region I believe). Time will tell. I give it a week or so.

I stopped by there on Tuesday and chatted with a guy doing drywall. He said they would be done by end of next month and that the restaurant was wanting to open by mid-fall/early winter. No later than end of the year. Then he mumbled something about unless things change again. It was pouring down rain so I didn't stand out there for long chatting with him but hopefully we find out more soon.

They've been posting ads on their FB page since beginning of the month saying their looking for bartenders.

P8210190.JPG

P8210068.JPGP8210065.JPG

I'd love to see a different type of restaurant in downtown instead of just more of the same. We desperately need a 24hr diner in downtown and at least one or two fast food options. I'm tired of only having Subway or drive-thrus as my post 2am option, and the entire staff at Denny's know me by name now. We need a local late night sit-down option within downtown.

Here, here! There's an amazing amount of "sameness" with most of the new restaurants downtown. Semi-upscale, semi-good food, semi-expensive prices, with semi-decent service. Nothing bad, but nothing exceptional. And never quite enough to make you go out of your way for a repeat visit.

A diner-type restaurant would be awesome (but not an "upscale diner experience" gimmick). An Indian restauran would be a god-send. An authentic Mexican joint would be a welcome addition, too.

• Like 1

Not sure why I didn't think of this earlier - but a World of Beer would probably be better suited in the Eola Square area than Lake Eola - and would definitely be better for the other tenants. WOB is sort of a magnet and I would think the neighboring eateries could put a few menu items together for delivery to WOB like at their other locations.

Here, here! There's an amazing amount of "sameness" with most of the new restaurants downtown. Semi-upscale, semi-good food, semi-expensive prices, with semi-decent service. Nothing bad, but nothing exceptional. And never quite enough to make you go out of your way for a repeat visit.

A diner-type restaurant would be awesome (but not an "upscale diner experience" gimmick). An Indian restauran would be a god-send. An authentic Mexican joint would be a welcome addition, too.

This very astute post reminded me of a couple of things; first, most of the folks I see inhabiting the new towers are college kids or recent grads with 4 to a 2-bedroom unit (or in several cases downtown waiters and bartenders), not the upscale empty nesters DOP loves to predict will become the new demographic downtown (that may happen eventually, but certainly not in this economy, and certainly not until the association and maintenance fees stabilize; most of the lawyers and such I know who want to live downtown and could afford it still prefer the in-town single family 'hoods like Lake Davis/Cherokee, Thornton Park, Lake Lawsona, etc.) As a result, it's no accident that Wildside, Graffiti Junction (with blasting tunes only a kid could love) and Mucho are the places doing well. Second, I'm reminded of the infamous Park Avenue conundrum first observed in the 80's: all the uber-preppy wives who bought their clothes from Ann Taylor and J. Crew kept opening these avant garde shops on the Avenue and were shocked they couldn't make any money - of course all their friends were also shopping at Ann Taylor and J. Crew for the same clothes and who exactly was supposed to be the customer? Although this is just a guess, I imagine the rents to open a restaurant in the new towers also drives what price point is required to (attempt) to make a profit. Definitely a chicken and egg problem.

• 2 weeks later...
We desperately need a 24hr diner in downtown and at least one or two fast food options. I'm tired of only having Subway or drive-thrus as my post 2am option, and the entire staff at Denny's know me by name now. We need a local late night sit-down option within downtown.

I live in downtown and have had to drive to the IHOP on colonial if I want to sit down and eat something other than pizza or gringo locos after a night out. A 24 hour sit down dinner with simple regular food would rock. From a safety perspective this makes sense. Last call is so early in this city and then you are kicked out on to the street with few options that don't require driving. Let people sit down and eat and sober up before heading for their cars.

As long as I can get plastered at Wally's or Paradise, I can always stumble down to Bananas afterward! Seriously, though, it's interesting how some of the surrounding neighborhoods are taking up some of the slack for downtown while we await more offerings in the core. It does point out the importance of expanding Lymmo, though, ASAP.

Edited by spenser1058

Exciting new things seems to be popping up in the Dolive building.

Facing Washington is a beautiful new bar Elixir Bar Room & Hash House. I ran past it last night and peeked inside. Finally something a little different for the downtown scene. If Restoration Hardware had a bar, this would be it. I'm looking forward to checking it out this weekend along with The Courtesy Bar--- I hope it's a keeper!

Edited by Captain.Metro

I was at Courtesy for their opening and thought they did an excellent job. As the night went on and more people showed up the wait for drinks became fairly long but there is really nothing they can do about that. The bartenders were great and moved real quick to move along cocktail orders that were probably 10+ deep per bartender at some points. The interior is really well done and the drinks are great.

On Saturday, I checked out both Elixir and The Courtesy Bar. Both of these are great additions to the area. Elixir is spacious with a fun, early 1900's decor and will offer food in a month or so.

The Courtesy Bar is definitely one of my favorite new places. I returned Sunday night and was happy to see a steady crowd. Owner Gene and his wife Diana are very friendly and actively seek out patron feedback to ensure their expertly crafted cocktails are to your liking. Bartender Eric is beyond knowledgeable. Subtle things like real cherries soaked in either brandy or bourbon are used for specific cocktails. Courtesy is definitely not your typical downtown swill-slinging cocktail bar.

Tried out the Courtesy last night. It is an interesting place with a steam punk feel to it. Either find a place in the back or stay near the front. The middle is very narrow and feels cramped. I enjoyed the cocktails and they definitely take great care in preparing each drink. I will be back. I peeked into Elixir and that place has nice wood throughout. I want to try that place next.

Scott J Doesn't Love The Courtesy:

http://www.scottjose...09-the-courtesy

His underwhelming review....

I share his sentiments about the unwelcoming staff. I went there with friends last Monday and we sat in the end booth. There were about about 8 people sitting at the bar. After about 10 minutes we motioned for the bartender and he came over and asked if we had any questions. We asked if there were any specials and he said no, they don't need to do that because people are going to want to come here for our wine and beer selections. I noticed on their menu they had some specialty punches, but he said they are not making them yet since they just opened. We then asked to take our order and he said that he would but they are not providing table service so he'd set our order on the bar (about 10 feet from our table) and we should come up and get it.

Based on this, their name is pretty deceiving and I have no desire to give them a second chance. It really pisses me off that people spend all of this money on opening a bar without doing any planning or marketing and are very defensive to accepting feedback. I always get the impression that they are thinking, how dare you tell me what you want, I know what you want. Unfortunately, I don't give them more than a few months.

I share his sentiments about the unwelcoming staff. I went there with friends last Monday and we sat in the end booth. There were about about 8 people sitting at the bar. After about 10 minutes we motioned for the bartender and he came over and asked if we had any questions. We asked if there were any specials and he said no, they don't need to do that because people are going to want to come here for our wine and beer selections. I noticed on their menu they had some specialty punches, but he said they are not making them yet since they just opened. We then asked to take our order and he said that he would but they are not providing table service so he'd set our order on the bar (about 10 feet from our table) and we should come up and get it.

Based on this, their name is pretty deceiving and I have no desire to give them a second chance. It really pisses me off that people spend all of this money on opening a bar without doing any planning or marketing and are very defensive to accepting feedback. I always get the impression that they are thinking, how dare you tell me what you want, I know what you want. Unfortunately, I don't give them more than a few months.

I beg to differ on my experience with The Courtesy. Give them another chance.