Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

I second FLHeat. Was there last night at the bar and it took them 15 minutes to recognized us, then we order the Punch List only to find out it wasnt ready, then another 10 minutes to reorder, and another 10 minutes just for the drinks. And its a Monday night?! You got a sense that the bartenders didnt even make an effort. Being understaffed is one thing, but geez, can I order a smile with that drink. As for the drinks, sure its good and "sophisticated", but the cocktails over at Saitki sushi are way better. The Shanghai Ginger thingy was good, but it tasted like a margarita with ginger liquer. And for $9 on a tiny glass, I will pass next time.

I second FLHeat. Was there last night at the bar and it took them 15 minutes to recognized us, then we order the Punch List only to find out it wasnt ready, then another 10 minutes to reorder, and another 10 minutes just for the drinks. And its a Monday night?! You got a sense that the bartenders didnt even make an effort. Being understaffed is one thing, but geez, can I order a smile with that drink. As for the drinks, sure its good and "sophisticated", but the cocktails over at Saitki sushi are way better. The Shanghai Ginger thingy was good, but it tasted like a margarita with ginger liquer. And for $9 on a tiny glass, I will pass next time.

Tennis, that does sound like a bad experience. If I ever see you out there, I'll hook you up with good service and a drink... As for the punch. I know on Sunday the punch was made somewhere around seven, since there was a line at the door when the opened at four. You'll not find a better Old Fashioned downtown than from The Courtesy.

• 2 weeks later...

Benjamin French Bakery & Café at 716 E. Washington (former Marie France clothier). Buildout looks to be complete and opening impending. I'm personally looking forward to this one!

Benjamin opened last Friday, October 5. I stopped in there on Saturday, they had a nice assortment of pastries and the staff seemed very helpful. They currently do not have any indoor or outdoor seating. It does not appear they have much space for indoor seating but there is a small ledge inside where you can stand and quickly eat a pastry. They also only offer pastries and beverages. I was hoping that I could get more of a breakfast, but that would only be limited to individual quiches.

The openings of Hooch, Elixir, Courtesy, and Eternal Tap (in the Bumby Arcarde building, complete with a basement whiskey bar), seem like the next generation of downtown Orlando bars -- natural wood bars, intelligent drinks, a more sophisticated clientele.

I tried out Hooch last Friday night for happy hour. They have 30 happy hour specials including drinks and appetizers. The service was good and it is nice that they are able to keep the doors open between the bar and the patio. They have really cool outdoor tables under the canopy and the recent cooler weather makes it a nice place to hang out. They also have some moonshine drinks and moonshine cherries if you want something different. We tried several of the appetizers and overall they were pretty good except for the flatbread. There is a limited bar food menu.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried Benjamin, the French bakery in Thornton Park?

I was there a month ago opening weekend. Their pastries were good, but not as good as Croissant Gourmet in Winter Park (or Les Petite Pleasures in CP before they switched ownership). They didn't have any room for seating and at that time did not have any seating outside either. The staff was friendly with cute french accents.

Has anyone tried Benjamin, the French bakery in Thornton Park?

Oui! Like FLHeat said, but definitely a nice addition to TP. Their pastries are getting better, though. If you "like" them on FB, they often ask for customer feedback about offerings, etc. Along with pastries, sandwiches and breads, they now sell French products to gift or cook at home. Minimal seating available outside and towards the rear.

I have been to Elixer a couple of times so far and I have found it a nice place to meet up with friends. The wood work and the brick work is very tasteful. They have not been very busy and I hope that improves; however, I have not been there when the late night crowd arrives downtown. They have been putting out snacks on Friday evenings for happy hour and I really like the bartender--she's a very nice and attractive young lady. She has told me they do live bands on Thursday nights, but I have not been in town recently during the week to check them out.

• 2 weeks later...

Loft 55 had a soft opening this weekend and will celebrate its grand opening on Wednesday. The space is surprisingly spacious, tasteful, and adds a new element to the block. If my experience Saturday night is indicative of the service, this is a great addition to Orlando's nightlife scene.

I haven't been yet, but from peeking in a couple times during construction (and from the absence of a menu on their website) it looks like more of a nightclub than a restaurant. Hopefully they're not too much more disruptive to 55W residents than what's already on the street. I think they're poised to do good dinner business with Mad Cow patrons, seeing as you literally walk through the outdoor dining area from the 55W garage to the theatre.

I saw signs for 3 new bars next to the Courtesy called Black Umbrella, Brick and Brass, and Saddle Up. Looks like they will be run by the same team that manages Tier, and they are referring to this stretch of bars as The District. Sounds like another country bar, yeehaw!

Doesn't the group that runs Tier also run Mochi/Bento and have the new latin/asian fusion concept in the works for the old Urban Flats space? For being tucked back under The Plaza, Bento has done solid business since opening, which is a good sign for things to come.

• Like 1

I haven't been yet, but from peeking in a couple times during construction (and from the absence of a menu on their website) it looks like more of a nightclub than a restaurant. Hopefully they're not too much more disruptive to 55W residents than what's already on the street. I think they're poised to do good dinner business with Mad Cow patrons, seeing as you literally walk through the outdoor dining area from the 55W garage to the theatre.

I went to Loft 55 on Wednesday for Happy Hour while the Wine down Wednesday was going on at Urban Flats below. It was a nice atmosphere and we had a very nice young waitress. We sat outside on the balcony and in comfortable sectional chairs. The waitress was a bit nervous but we very friendly and said all the right things (if she didn't know an answer, she said, I'd be happy to find out for me). Anyway, they have great daily happy hour specials from 4-7 and all their drafts, under $10 wines and well drinks are 55% off along with their non-seafood appetizers. They had a nice draft selection and with the discount they were under $3. We sampled several of the appetizers and everyone was great and a super bargin with the discount. Their bruschetta is some of the best I have had, and their popcorn rock shrimp had a light batter and with the drawn truffle butter, they tasted just like lobster. Others got the chicken and cheesy biscuit appetizers and they said they were great and enough to make a meal. Likewise, they raved about the meatballs. They have not set their dinner menu yet and in about a month they will start opening for lunch. I was strongly encouraged with what I saw on my first visit.

• 1 month later...
A great recap by Scott J on the comings and goings of Orlando restaurants in 2012 (and he got the WaWa story, too!):

http://www.scottjosephorlando.com/index.php/144-news/1984-a-look-back-at-the-year-in-central-florida-restaurants

I miss seeing Scott Joseph in the Sentinel (a paper that's a shell of of its former self these days). Gotta disagree with reviews of that Cask and Larder place. A pretentious Cracker Barrel, IMO.

My wife and I are looking for a good local coffee shop because quite frankly, Starbucks' coffee kinda sucks.  Some of their lattes are good for dessert-type drinks, but as for coffee, I really need something else, and would love to hear about your guys' favorite local spots.  Preferrably not downtown, as I tend to feel lost down there.  But Winter Park or Altamonte Springs or down on East Colonial would be great.  Thanks in advance!

Edited by CalvinEggnog