Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

You can also add Stardust Coffee & Video to the list. They are in the Audubon Park Garden District on Winter Park Ave just north of Corrinne. I think Pancho's on 436 just north of the 408 in between Pep Boys and the FDOT/FHP building has the best Cafe Con Leche in town, though some people might direct you to YaYas which has locations off a side street (Hewett) off of 436 just south of 50 as well as in the Conway area on Curry Ford near Conwy Gardens.

Bikes, Beans, & Bordeaux in Audubon Park (not far from the above mentioned Stardust Coffee & Video) uses a great espresso roast from Georgia. They make some of the better (read: skilled) espresso beverages around. When it comes to quality crafted espresso and espresso drinks, Orlando is certainly lacking. It's difficult to get a good espresso beverage from a local "coffee bar" without being served a side of angst.

Also, Bluebird Bake Shop, the cupcakery, sells their own coffee blends in medium and dark. If drip coffee is your thing, it's always good to support local. They source their beans from Nicaragua and therefore the flavor profile is a little acidic, with a cocoa finish. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been living in Orlando for over three years, and still have not been able to find a legit deli anywhere in Orlando. What the deal with that? Or am I just missing something. Tampa has places like Wrights deli, totally gourmet, amazing sandwiches and cakes, overally it seems that the eatery scene is better than Tampa. Maybe I just know it better since I lived over there much longer, but does anyone have any suggestions for walk-in non-sitdown service eatery for lunch? There are plenty of good restraunts around Orlando, but besides Publix, Jersey Mikes and Pom Poms I cant find a good sandwich or deli in Orlando.

Taqueria Del Sol, a chain out of Atlanta that opened last year across Orange from the Market at Southside, is closing today.

Better a chain than a mom and pop. Reading their Facebook is interesting. Customers are as mad as they are sympathetic. It seems like they didn't give their all to try and succeed in a challenging location.

Taqueria Del Sol, a chain out of Atlanta that opened last year across Orange from the Market at Southside, is closing today.

Better a chain than a mom and pop. Reading their Facebook is interesting. Customers are as mad as they are sympathetic. It seems like they didn't give their all to try and succeed in a challenging location.

Not very surprised. The owners have remained too focused on the Five Guys franchises they own to really give this a chance. Business was definitely building and in I thought it would actually take off in another 6 months. Guess they decided to just cut losses now and refocus on their burger business.

Reports of Barnie's Coffee Kitchen opening at City Arts on Orlange and Pine are greatly exaggerated.  The space still looks the same as it did the day Roho moved out.   This past Third Thursday event, there was a film crew in the kitchen are and there were a couple of Barnie's reps brewing and serving coffee samples from a folding table.

I walked around in the "The Native" space yesterday as they were doing some work.  Nice organic finishes, subdued lighting, exposed brick. I hope the atmosphere will stay refined.   It sounds like they're doing a soft opening this weekend and grand opening next weekend.

It also looks like The Hammered Lamb is just about ready to open. I was wrong about how far they were to opening - looks like there will be darts, ping pong, etc.

Shame on NBA City. I'm not a fan of Levy foods (Wolfgang Puck in DTD was never the same after they took over), but I hope it's something good. It'll struggle until more pedestrian traffic makes its way to the northwest end of the Amway Center. It's a perfect time for The Magic to reveal their plans for the entertainment center across the street, our "L.A. LIVE" so to speak.

Speakeasy above NV is open, and very very nice. According to the scottish owner, it only took her 16 years.

I was up there last Saturday Night after the Solar Bears Game.  I don't know how strict they are going to be with the passcode.  From what I understand you are supposed to call ahead for reservations and they will give you the code.  The area is quaint and very small and early 1900's looking with walled in outdoor area  On your initial visit it will not be apparent where to enter.  As you get to the 2nd floor of NV, go to the right to the wall and there is a dark door with a doorbell.  They have some nice drink mixtures but it took me 20 minutes standing at the bar to place and get my drink order and there were only 3 people waiting for drinks.  The young Asian bartender was oblivious to acknowledge my existence even though I was right in front of him.  He was painfully slow in mixing, pouring, cutting lime rind and washing the shot glass after every ingredient pour I almost wanted to walk behind the bar and make it myself. Granted, the owner stepped away for a few hours so I don't know if she intends to tend the bar or if this was considered a soft opening.  Drink prices were around $10 and similar to Courtesy.  Two times while I was there a Burlesque Dancer in pasties came through.

• Like 1

yea, its better if you go there wed or thursday night to enjoy the ambiance and drinks. Its too packed on a friday/sat night to enjoy it. Speaking of potential new places, the owner of the former Blank Space is working on a concept with the monopoly owners of Tier to create a loungey bar across from former Urban Flats (to the south). Its the glass building with water fountain where Eden is located. They want to use that under utilized open area as a social gathering place comparable to winedown wednesdays.

• Like 1

I was up there last Saturday Night after the Solar Bears Game.  I don't know how strict they are going to be with the passcode.  From what I understand you are supposed to call ahead for reservations and they will give you the code.  The area is quaint and very small and early 1900's looking with walled in outdoor area  On your initial visit it will not be apparent where to enter.  As you get to the 2nd floor of NV, go to the right to the wall and there is a dark door with a doorbell.  They have some nice drink mixtures but it took me 20 minutes standing at the bar to place and get my drink order and there were only 3 people waiting for drinks.  The young Asian bartender was oblivious to acknowledge my existence even though I was right in front of him.  He was painfully slow in mixing, pouring, cutting lime rind and washing the shot glass after every ingredient pour I almost wanted to walk behind the bar and make it myself. Granted, the owner stepped away for a few hours so I don't know if she intends to tend the bar or if this was considered a soft opening.  Drink prices were around $10 and similar to Courtesy.  Two times while I was there a Burlesque Dancer in pasties came through.

Thanks for that insightful review! I think I know a password...

Hammered Lamb opened up Wednesday.  I checked it out last night.  It was busy the whole night, so that's a good sign.  Mixed crowd was nice.  TV's outside in the courtyard and inside.  Full bar.  Very thankful for that.  One ping pong table (free to play), one electronic dart board.  One of my drinks was poured very weak.  I took it back to a different bartender and he started pouring and asked me when to stop.  That made up for the weak drink very quickly.

I'm glad to have another place on the Ivanhoe strip that has a full bar.

• 1 month later...

I have gone a couple of time to La Strada on Manolia where the Daily News was located and have really enjoyed my dining experience.  The owners Enzo and Billy are very friendly and enthused about their new business.  They make their own pasta daily and their prices are affordable.  Enzo has a great list of credentials and they are willing to customize their menu to your tastes.  Their homemade soups are fantastic.

• 1 month later...

Le Gourmet Break is open on the back side of the Plaza on Magnolia next door to Frank and Steins.  They have a large assortment of pastries, sandwiches, salads, soups,crepes and serves import beer and wine.  They are open 7-7 m-f 7-2 on weekends.  I had a croissant sandwich with bechamel last night and it was very good.  There is a nice sized seating area which is atypical for most bakeries.

• Like 1