Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

I've eaten at Marsh Hammock a handful of times. While their pulled pork sandwiches are actually pretty good, my main complaint is that their menu is very limited. For instance, I think their baked beans are the only side item that is served warm; all others are picnic salads of some sort and served cold.

They have a total of only 4 or 5 main dishes. Their hours are crazy short - no nights, no weekends (a problem downtown dwellers are used to dealing with). And horror of horrors, their iced tea isn't brewed.

But it's nice to have a BBQ place downtown, so I go whenever I want a pulled pork sandwich with baked beans on the side (and a bottle of water to drink.) :)

• Like 1

Im pretty critical when evaluating new eateries, but I think Ave Gastro is a winner. Park Ave ambiance, but with prices and quality that is affordable. Try the $6 chicken pot pie! Don Jefes is not as memorable, but still great addition to that area. Huge place, live music, excellent food, but as expected a little pricey.

Im pretty critical when evaluating new eateries, but I think Ave Gastro is a winner. Park Ave ambiance, but with prices and quality that is affordable. Try the $6 chicken pot pie! Don Jefes is not as memorable, but still great addition to that area. Huge place, live music, excellent food, but as expected a little pricey.

Was talking to some people who had been to Don Jefes and they all said it is just too big. Would have been smarter to divide it up and do some different concepts and we already have a ton of Mexican stuff downtown.

I went to Avenue but only at night for drinks but seemed nice. Will definitely have to get back there for food soon.

I think Don Jefe's is still in a VERY SOFT opening and figuring a lot out.  I have been three times (don't ask.) and have had three very different versions of the same dish.  One time I was there for lunch and they were doing light construction while we were dining.   It's the only table-service Mexican place in the core, and if they can get the food right, should be able to drive a good lunch business. 

There are a couple of other dining establishments in the pipeline for Church Street -

New restaurant in the old Dragon Room. German Food was the last rumor I heard.

Church District Tavern in the old Dessert Lady space - Pittsburgh-centric sports bar

The Flame Broiler rice bowl chain out of California
Kasa Tapas & Raw Bar - still working on interior, looks like some kitchen equipment has already been installed

Once these are open, the only Ground Floor retail left empty on Church Street between Orange and I-4 is the 55W Corridor, Depot, Bliss and Cheyenne Saloon.

I think Don Jefe's is still in a VERY SOFT opening and figuring a lot out.  I have been three times (don't ask.) and have had three very different versions of the same dish.  One time I was there for lunch and they were doing light construction while we were dining.   It's the only table-service Mexican place in the core, and if they can get the food right, should be able to drive a good lunch business. 

There are a couple of other dining establishments in the pipeline for Church Street -

New restaurant in the old Dragon Room. German Food was the last rumor I heard.

Church District Tavern in the old Dessert Lady space - Pittsburgh-centric sports bar

The Flame Broiler rice bowl chain out of California

Kasa Tapas & Raw Bar - still working on interior, looks like some kitchen equipment has already been installed

Once these are open, the only Ground Floor retail left empty on Church Street between Orange and I-4 is the 55W Corridor, Depot, Bliss and Cheyenne Saloon.

If the German Restaurant rumor for the former Dragon Room space is true, it would be a breath of new life to downtown. Finally, a new concept... Plus, I love German food! I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

• Like 1

If the German Restaurant rumor for the former Dragon Room space is true, it would be a breath of new life to downtown. Finally, a new concept... Plus, I love German food! I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

Yeah not having to drive to Sanford for good German food would be amazing. The bar has been set high though so it better be really good.

• Like 1

A Monday at 1pm, a drive by and a pal's hearsay is a far reach for that conclusion.

Fair enough. Here is the photo she sent me, and I was just checking to confirm since you really can't tell from it. Since then they have posted on their facebook so it seems like they are open and fine.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/970743_10102083598917912_490430052_n.jpg

Fair enough. Here is the photo she sent me, and I was just checking to confirm since you really can't tell from it. Since then they have posted on their facebook so it seems like they are open and fine.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/970743_10102083598917912_490430052_n.jpg

That makes sense now. This photo shows now The Courtesy, but "The District" bars under construction. The Courtesy Bar is a few doors north of these.

Yeah Courtesy is definitely still open.

District I wonder if it will ever happen. It got back burnered when the Church St properties became available and they opened up Native and such.

I noticed some buildout progress on "The District" projects when going to The Courtesy this weekend. I think they'll happen eventually, certainly before Aura opens.

Speaking of Church Street, as I was passing the old Dragon Room yesterday, I noticed active buildout going on. Hopefully, that German Restaurant  concept is going in--- and a good one at that.

While on the subject, the former Shakai Sushi/Ichiban space is being replaced by Underground Public House, themed to a London public house. From their Facebook page, one of the investors is from Stigma. Could be a promising addition to downtown.

I heard from a friend who just moved here from London that Balans was coming but he didn't know where in Orlando.  I had guessed the tourist area but this lines up so I'm guessing its Balans as well.

I wish we would get EAT downtown, that would really be a nice addition.

Edited by klstorey

Can't say the name or anything but apparently some giant UK restaurant is planning on opening a location in downtown. Honestly can't remember the name if I was able to say but the people in the city are pretty excited by it so guessing it has some name recognition that may draw more of the Brits downtown.

Just got off the record confirmation from an local UK businessman that an Ace Cafe is coming to downtown.  This would confirm two different rumors, one being about a motorcycle themed venue downtown and the other about a British restaurant downtown.  

Balans might still be in the works too though.  Could we actually be getting two major UK brands in downtown?  

This was the top story in yesterday's QSR newsletter.

The Table Service Upgrade

Firehouse Subs, BurgerFi add table service to score real estate in Florida town.

There hasn't been much talk on here about this whole issue happening right now in Winter Park with fast casual trying to get onto Park Ave by claiming to be table service.