Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

This actually sounds like a high quality nightclub going in a space above Vintage and The Fifth. They hired some talented designers according to the website.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/os-vanity-nightclub-opening-orlando-20131001,0,3179135.story

http://www.vanityorlando.com

"Designed by award winning nightclub designer, Charles Doell, of Mister Important Design Firm,  VANITY is the most elite club in Orlando comprised of three atmospheres including a lounge, club, and balcony terrace.  Each section has its own private lounge seating, flat screen TV’s and contemporary furniture, which promises to deliver the elegance and style that Orlando's sophisticated nightlife aficionados have been longing for."

Edited by Pete C

You could certainly be right, but when I read that blurb, two images came rushing to my mind: (1) a pimply high schooler writing up his description of his first date, or (2) a 40-something Joisey guy in his Trans Am with T-tops wearing a pseudo-silk print shirt open to the navel with dozens of gold chains around his neck letting the world know, "Hey! We got class!" Take your pick. In many years of reviewing copy, this imho was an all-time low.

Then again, maybe that's what we want downtown and I'm out of step.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any news on Hue space?

And is Honey closed already?

I am all about home grown restaurants but Downtown Orlando seriously need some chain restaurants to get people down there....

Does anyone else think that Ustler may have had a bite on the Hue/Urban ReThink space combined that led to ReThink vacating so quickly? 

• Like 1

Does anyone else think that Ustler may have had a bite on the Hue/Urban ReThink space combined that led to ReThink vacating so quickly? 

I don't know that there was a specific "bite" as much as the understanding of potential. I would expect that once we hear the plan for either or both of the spaces those of us on this forum will be happy (well most...if anyone can every make everyone here happy, something is wrong :) )

Also I'm still not 100% clear on the exact timeline of what happened with Urban ReThink but keep in mind that there was a month between the time we were told publicly about ReThink closing and the closing (That's actually not a quick departure in the world of retail). We also don't know how much longer URT had to determine what to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Another One (Probably Two, But Stay Tuned) Bites the Dust

http://www.scottjosephorlando.com/index.php/news/2293-lotus-out-mingos-in-honey-gone

As predicted, Lotus is gone and Honey will never arrive. It seems even my prediction was too optimistic: I gave them six months but Lotus lasted two and Honey gave up the ghost before ever opening the doors. The face-saving Mingos? Anyone think it will go six months? C'mon, folks, give up these ill-conceived ideas and turn these spaces into something useful. No doubt our ever-resourceful Mr. Chatmon is already on the phone trying to coordinate another 7-Eleven!

Edited by spenser1058

Their craft drinks were pretty awesome, especially during happy hour when its half off. Hopefully Mingos kept some of those drinks.

Unfortunately, I think Kassa (former Urban Flats spot) will face the same destiny with their pretentious food and price.

Edited by tennis32801

Another One (Probably Two, But Stay Tuned) Bites the Dust

http://www.scottjosephorlando.com/index.php/news/2293-lotus-out-mingos-in-honey-gone

As predicted, Lotus is gone and Honey will never arrive. It seems even my prediction was too optimistic: I gave them six months but Lotus lasted two and Honey gave up the ghost before ever opening the doors. The face-saving Mingos? Anyone think it will go six months? C'mon, folks, give up these ill-conceived ideas and turn these spaces into something useful. No doubt our ever-resourceful Mr. Chatmon is already on the phone trying to coordinate another 7-Eleven!

Forgettable food, horrendous service and tacky environment will kill a restaurant every time.  Lotus didn’t stand a chance.  There is far too much good competition out there to return to something so forgettable.  

​Hopefully someone with solid restaurant experience will put something in there.  The location is not the problem though I'm sure it (and the "economy") will be blamed.  

Their craft drinks were pretty awesome, especially during happy hour when its half off. Hopefully Mingos kept some of those drinks.

Unfortunately, I think Kassa (former Urban Flats spot) will face the same destiny with their pretentious food and price.

I did have a nice dining experience at Kassa, the food was very good as well as the atmosphere and service, but I think the price point may be a hurdle.  If they can make it until the DPAC opens, I think that would be the type of crowd it would be best suited for.

Had wayyyyy too many people come in the store and tell me never to go there because of food poisoning they got there. If its all the same people behind Mingos then I'll just wait for that to close too.

Hey Matt maybe we could put our concept in that space when these guys totally give up on it. Rent on Pine should be much less than Central. (Probably isn't)

Even though people don't gush over Mucho or Sonoma, that group knows how to succeed in South Eola. Nicely themed interiors, good drinks, 'good enough' food, and affordable prices. I wouldn't mind another one of their restaurant/bars in one those spaces over these ridiculous new concept restaurants. As for the previous tenants, it was definitely not the location that did them in. Anyone could have predicted those overpriced FMI restaurants would not succeed there.

Edited by Pete C
  • Like 1

Stop by Kasa last night to look at their menu. I think the price point was good. Not for typical college "bar goers", which is good. With this and Aloft WXYZ lounge, finally something for grown up in downtown. The modern design make it looks very "New York" or Winter Park, they definitely spend some thoughts and money on the design. Not typical downtown Orlando restaurant with some quick fix for quick turnover. Good job.

WXYZ is kind of dead most of time I drive by. People go check it out...

1398625_10151882618502874_1574056647_o.j

• Like 1