Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

Stop by Kasa last night to look at their menu. I think the price point was good. Not for typical college "bar goers", which is good. With this and Aloft WXYZ lounge, finally something for grown up in downtown. The modern design make it looks very "New York" or Winter Park, they definitely spend some thoughts and money on the design. Not typical downtown Orlando restaurant with some quick fix for quick turnover. Good job.

WXYZ is kind of dead most of time I drive by. People go check it out...

I think I'll check it out tonight for happy hour.  I went to Magnolia Bar (on Magnolia next to Celt) last night before the Solar Bear game to check it out.  It is nicely decorated and they opened up the front with folding doors to the sidewalk.  The owner seems pretty nice, but is having a slow start since they haven't done any advertising and don't have their sign up yet.

Stop by Kasa last night to look at their menu. I think the price point was good. Not for typical college "bar goers", which is good. With this and Aloft WXYZ lounge, finally something for grown up in downtown. The modern design make it looks very "New York" or Winter Park, they definitely spend some thoughts and money on the design. Not typical downtown Orlando restaurant with some quick fix for quick turnover. Good job.

WXYZ is kind of dead most of time I drive by. People go check it out...

Ha! I stopped by Kasa last night as well to get some apps and drinks at the bar. Food was really good, I only drank beer which is always good to me but my wife got a couple drinks and loved them both. They also were sampling some Sangria.

Really love what they were able to do with the place! Probably going to go back for a full dinner soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Kasa Tapas & Raw Bar

http://www.scottjosephorlando.com/index.php/reviews/recent-reviews/45-asian/2315-kasa-tapas-raw-bar

"Downtown Orlando is primed for a restaurant renaissance. There are plenty of places to eat, but it needs more places to dine, restaurants where the meal is the experience, part of the evening’s entertainment, and not just a place to grab a bite before heading out for a night of drinking."

So true, but Scott doesn't think Kasa is it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Let's make sure and get the gazillionth high-concept eatery that no one goes to, shall we? Heaven knows we don't need any actual places to shop downtown.

While I agree with you that we need more places to shop downtown, I'd hardly call Urban Flats a high-concept restaurant.  Flatbreads are a pretty niche dining market, especially when the cuisine category is in the restaurant name.  It kind of limits your audience.  With that said, I know they did well at the old Orange Ave location but it always seemed mainly due to their events & promotions in the evenings during the work week.

If we had any actual, quality high-concept dining locations downtown, people would come.  The Rusty Spoon (and, arguably, the Boheme) are pretty much the only options and they've managed to not only survive, but thrive. 

Happy to report that we went downtown on Sat night for the Brad Paisely concert at Amway. 730 concert and around 6 we couldn't get a seat anywhere on Church. We tried Ceviche, Harry Buffalo, Urban Flats, heard them calling names on a waiting list at Hamburger Mary's and tried Church St Tavern to find out they were only serving drinks (?!).

This was after initially trying Bento which also had a wait.

Meltz was empty as was the horsepower themed bar next door that replaced Pipers. Neither seemed to fit in.

So we ended up eating at Magic Grill inside which was low quality and over priced but I was pretty happy to see everywhere hopping so early. The concert undoubtedly was the main cause but it wasn't even a sold out show. (Upper bowl mostly empty).

Just think once we have convention space, soccer stadium and DPAC.

• Like 1

Those who've been around for awhile may recall my um, 'run in' involving the Urban Flats move.  That whole incident left a bad taste in my mouth.  Hopefully who ever moves in there is a bit more community focused. 

I have to wonder what the new Magic entertainment complex will do to this side of Church St. 

Happy to report that we went downtown on Sat night for the Brad Paisely concert at Amway. 730 concert and around 6 we couldn't get a seat anywhere on Church. We tried Ceviche, Harry Buffalo, Urban Flats, heard them calling names on a waiting list at Hamburger Mary's and tried Church St Tavern to find out they were only serving drinks (?!).

This was after initially trying Bento which also had a wait.

Meltz was empty as was the horsepower themed bar next door that replaced Pipers. Neither seemed to fit in.

So we ended up eating at Magic Grill inside which was low quality and over priced but I was pretty happy to see everywhere hopping so early. The concert undoubtedly was the main cause but it wasn't even a sold out show. (Upper bowl mostly empty).

Just think once we have convention space, soccer stadium and DPAC.

Had the same experience at the Barry Manilow concert (go ahead, mock me all you want). Crowds most everywhere, and a pretty lively scene. It was nice to see.

• Like 1

I know a cook who worked at Pine 22 a couple years back and knows some cooks over at Rusty Spoon. He told me a couple months ago that Urban Flats was going to close so they could focus on Rusty Spoon, which he said was also struggling. He was right about Urban Flats, so I am concerned about Rusty Spoon. With Loft 55 also now closed in the space above Urban Flats, 55W's commercial space has been a failure. If Rusty Spoon folds, that will leave only 7-11. Yikes!!!!

Edited by Pete C

I know a cook who worked at Pine 22 a couple years back and knows some cooks over at Rusty Spoon. He told me a couple months ago that Urban Flats was going to close so they could focus on Rusty Spoon, which he said was also struggling. He was right about Urban Flats, so I am concerned about Rusty Spoon. With Loft 55 also now closed in the space above Urban Flats, 55W's commercial space has been a failure. If Rusty Spoon folds, that will leave only 7-11. Yikes!!!!

The problem with most of the downtown restaurants is that they aren't all that good. I don't mean any offense, but I've never been wowed at Urban Flats. Not by the food, not by the service or by the experience. The only thing that ever wowed me was the price. You go a few times, and then decide it's just not worth it. Same for a lot of the places on Church Street and Thornton Park - ok food, less than ok service and incredibly high prices.

• Like 4

The problem with most of the downtown restaurants is that they aren't all that good. I don't mean any offense, but I've never been wowed at Urban Flats. Not by the food, not by the service or by the experience. The only thing that ever wowed me was the price. You go a few times, and then decide it's just not worth it. Same for a lot of the places on Church Street and Thornton Park - ok food, less than ok service and incredibly high prices.

For the most part I would agree with most restaurants downtown, however Rusty Spoon and Kres are the highest rated on Yelp, so those I want to see do well. Kres is actually one of the highest rated in the whole city. The restaurant that replaces Hue should also be very good considering the chef that will be running the new restaurant.

For the most part I would agree with most restaurants downtown, however Rusty Spoon and Kres are the highest rated on Yelp, so those I want to see do well. Kres is actually one of the highest rated in the whole city. The restaurant that replaces Hue should also be very good considering the chef that will be running the new restaurant.

I don't think anyone would deny the quality of those places (never been to Kres myself but imagine I would enjoy it) but really, as discussed in the past, it is hard to recommend much beyond that. I've heard good things about some of the new Church St places but in an area with as many people living and working as downtown to have just a handful of truly good places is unfortunate.

I will add 55W does have a terrible parking garage setup. That isn't just a perceived parking issue to me.

Quality of food and good service always wins.  People will figure out a way to get there and park if the food is good.  Loose sight of either and the place will close.  It is no mystery why the restaurants in the Sanctuary have closed as they lacked both.  As for Church St, Heat started off great but didn't have an identity.  If i wanted Indian food, I had to sit in a club = doesn't work.  Urban had a trendy product that aged quickly and their quality/service digressed in the new location.  

Same can be said for other parts of Orlando.  Drive down Park Ave on any night.  Prato is packed (quality food/excellent service), Matilda's on Park is dead (have you eaten there? heard anyone say they like it?).

IMO these locations are not plagued.  It is 100% operator error.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It was great seeing heavy foot traffic downtown yesterday from lunch all the way to closing hours. Every bar on church st was slammed, even Kasa. This is what downtown needs, tourists and visitors that sticks around and spend money. Most of the local surbanites tend to head to their cars after attending concerts and magic.

• 1 month later...

Looks like we finally have a great new restaurant downtown. Artisan's Table in the old Pine 22 space is garnering fantastic reviews on Yelp: 4.5 stars across 31 reviews so far...that is seriously good. Scott Joseph was impressed with it as well. This is great to see a restaurant taking off...hopefully people will patronize it.

Yelp:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/artisans-table-orlando#query:artisans

Scott Joseph:

http://www.scottjosephorlando.com/index.php/reviews/recent-reviews/51-american/2457-artisan-s-table?highlight=WyJhcnRpc2FuJ3MiLCJ0YWJsZSIsImFydGlzYW4ncyB0YWJsZSJd

Kasa looks like it's also doing well with a 4-star average over 42 reviews. Hopefully it can hold onto that rating or move up a bit. Both are in the Plaza which is great to see.

Edited by Pete C

I can attest that Artisan's Table is very good and will eat there again.  Very good food with a creative menu and excellent service by the servers and managment.  Was with a person who had dietary needs and the owner stopped by our table to offer assistance and stated that the chef will personally prepare any special requests.  And good prices too.