Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

Scott has also posted a review on WOB and a "sort-of" review on SoCo lately (he's a consultant of theirs) - check them out also!

Can someone remind me why I ever read Scott Joseph?  All it does is frustrate me beyond belief.  He has one thought process, and simply makes assumptions about things without doing research.

When is anybody going to see that the Mingos location will be perfect for a Chipotle....

You can submit online. :)  I think the location is lacking parking and mix of uses around it. Maybe the old revolving sports bar at Pine and Magnolia, though?

http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/talk_to_us/development/development.aspx 

• 2 weeks later...

Elliott's Public House is closed

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2014/12/06/elliotts-public-house-is-closed

This one lasted only four months in the Ivanhood in the old Brian's spot - at this rate, the ViMi district may catch up with South Eola. I never made it up there, but a friend told me the infamous "Dan Quayle sat here"  plaque had been removed, which surely jinxed their effort. It will be interesting to see what comes next _ i still dream of Brian's sticky buns on occasion.

Edited by spenser1058

I thought the pizza was fantastic and not in any way worse than the Chicago deep dish pizza I had in Chicago just days later.  This stuff takes a while to cook.  They don't surprise anyone.  Its written in the menu.  If you need fast pizza get the thin crust.  

Go try Giordano's pizza (we are lucky enough to have a few local franchises) and you will have the same wait time.  No way around that.  Not sure Orlando is ready for this stuff but glad its here.  Cant wait to try the Italian Beef sandwich as the Beefstro on Colonial is now a goner.  

This is just how Chicago pizza works.

When I used to live near one up North, we'd just call our order in about an hour ahead and tell them we'd be at the store in 45 minutes to dine in.  That's just how they did things if you asked.

Elliott's Public House is closed

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2014/12/06/elliotts-public-house-is-closed

This one lasted only four months in the Ivanhood in the old Brian's spot - at this rate, the ViMi district may catch up with South Eola. I never made it up there, but a friend told me the infamous "Dan Quayle sat here"  plaque had been removed, which surely jinxed their effort. It will be interesting to see what comes next _ i still dream of Brian's sticky buns on occasion.

Didnt see this one coming.  Ate there a few weeks ago and it was pleasant (not extraordinary).  Would have definitely gone back.  Nice place to sit and have a beer.

Side note: RusTeak in College Park was FAR FAR FAR better.  A must try.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding Chicago sandwiches and pizza.  There is a better beef sandwich available at What's Your Beef on Washington in downtown near the police substation.  And there is a way to bake a Chicago deep dish pizza faster.  I worked at Pizzeria Uno's in another life.  We used to make pre-bakes.  Basically, you make a pie shell.  Two types.  One with just cheese in the bottom or one with cheese and sausage.  It is already half baked.  The pie shells just need to be filled with ingredients and more cheese at the time of ordering.  Pizza in 20 minutes (unless the place is slammed). 

• Like 1

I ate at Beefstro.  They didn't make their giardiniera fresh.  It was bottled.

What's Your Beef makes their giardiniera in house.  The vegetables even still retain some crispness to them.  I have had Italian Beef in Chicago as well and I found it closer to stuff up there.

Just like art.  Different people can see the same thing in different ways.  In this case, taste things differently.

Not sure what will do well in the old Brian's / Elliot's space, but the smaller space attached that was formerly Nora's would make a great place for pizza slices.  Just a take out window like Planet Pizza downtown could do well there.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, the New York Times just put Orlando as #13 in their Places to Go in 2015, and not for our theme parks, but for our local developments and food scene!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/01/11/travel/52-places-to-go-in-2015.html?_r=3

Beyond Mickey Mouse: a Disney destination matures.

Disney World will no doubt remain the biggest draw to Orlando, but the city is growing up thanks to a string of civic developments, including the $429 million Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center, the 62-mile-long SunRail commuter train, both opened last year, and a coming 19,500-seat soccer stadium set to open this year. But the most surprising development is the food scene. East End Market, and its stalls selling locavore fare and artisanal baked goods, opened in 2013. Last year saw the opening of Txokos Basque Kitchen, whose chef was nominated for a James Beard Award. Not to be outdone, two fellow Beard nominees, James and Julie Petrakis (The Ravenous Pig, Cask & Larder), announced the February opening of Swine & Sons Provisions, their market/restaurant hybrid. Theme parks are expanding adult options as well: the elegant Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World opened in August 2014 and features a golf course, a rooftop lounge and an adults-only pool.

Edited by Pete C

• 2 weeks later...

Sigofredo is now open at Mills Nebraska.  Gonna have to check out the rooftop cafe.

I love coffee, love outdoor seating, and I love a good rooftop deck.  Still, Segafredo has completely exceeded my expectations. Great coffee, food is good at a good price and one of the best almond croissants I have had in years (only served in the morning). Full liquor bar as well which was a bit of a shocker to me but the place def does a good job doubling as a lounge at night. Highly recommend checking it out.  

I love coffee, love outdoor seating, and I love a good rooftop deck.  Still, Segafredo has completely exceeded my expectations. Great coffee, food is good at a good price and one of the best almond croissants I have had in years (only served in the morning). Full liquor bar as well which was a bit of a shocker to me but the place def does a good job doubling as a lounge at night. Highly recommend checking it out.  

I have been three times already and I have loved it every time! Such a great addition to the area.

i agree about segafredo. been there twice and a great addition.  great coffee, ambiance, menu and prices.

mills/50 is the hottest part of town lately.

We had a great waitress Friday Night on the rooftop.  We just did drinks and lite appetizers and then went to Firebirds.  They all were very busy as well as the new Brass Tap. As we were leaving, there were a lot of people searching for parking spots.