Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, castorvx said:

There is currently a "Space Available" sign in the window with a full buildout visible. Kitchen equipment, marketing signage, everything. You'd swear it was a functioning restaurant. But nope.

I saw the Space Available sign too. Makes it seem like it will never open and they are leasing it out again...what a waste of money if that's the case. Don't invest in that company...

I'm actually okay with it. The nearest pizza to the north end of Orange is Fratelli's which- if I'm being charitable- has less than stellar pizza. I think it'll do really well with the business lunch crowd and the courthouse traffic, in addition to being an amenity for the residents of Skyhouse.

This is all assuming the pizza doesn't taste like ass. [emoji12]

• Like 1

Happened across this rather interesting article about how millennials, or rather their dining preferences combined with all the alternative choices like home delivery available to them, are killing casual dining restaurants...

Millennials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

"Millennial consumers are more attracted than their elders to cooking at home, ordering delivery from restaurants and eating quickly, in fast-casual or quick-serve restaurants,"

"Now, there's many, many options that people are replacing chains with," Victor Fernandez, restaurant industry tracker TDn2K's executive director of insights, recently told Business Insider.

Many of these options involve cooking at home. Grocery chains are increasingly competing with restaurants, thanks to lower prices and perks such as pick-up and delivery, new technology, and trendy features like wine bars and to-go meals. Plus, meal delivery kits such as Blue Apron are focused on getting millennials on a subscription plan that will convince them to stay in and cook a certain number of days a week.

• Like 1

Research seems to be indicating that millennials, rather than behaving totally differently than previous cohorts, are simply dong things later. They are starting to buy more vehicles and to try to find ways to buy houses and have kids. That's also sending more of them back to the 'burbs as they look for affordable housing and better schools

There are differences, though: millennials are more likely to buy online and their supermarket shopping habits are quite different from boomers and even Gen X'ers.

The group behind them, "Generation Z" is the term at the moment, are even more delayed in household formation due to having grown up in the Great Recession.

As to meal kits, I know they're all the rage at the moment but the price points are still obnoxious. Now that grocers like Publix and Kroger are getting into them, perhaps they'll become more affordable and hit scale. That would be similar to Whole Foods losing organic market share as mainstream stores embraced their own natural brands and left "Whole Paycheck Market" with a declining base.

5 hours ago, castorvx said:

I promised myself that if I ever signed up for Blue Apron I had reached full yuppie privilege level and it was time to cut back on podcasts. 

Still resisting ... 

I did hello fresh. Too much work during the work week. And the food was just slightly above okay. But I have been fully yuppie since I bought my bimmer in my 20's. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

BEEFY!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/restaurants/foodie/os-et-beefy-king-orlando-anniversary-49-story.html

(From the Sentinel)

Edited by spenser1058
Bungalower reports BEEFY is so admired someone even submitted their logo for inclusion on the new Orlando flag: http://bungalower.com/2017/06/19/beefy-king-celebrates-49-years-business-june/