Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

• 1 month later...

Can someone recommend a nice American food restaurant somewhere in line with Hue that's good? (partner's bday)

Is Kres very expensive?

It's great to have more than one steakhouse downtown, but why did Lou Pearlman put another steakhouse (Pearl) on the same street. And a wish out to the universe... Since we live on a peninsula, can we get a fresh seafood restaurant in downtown Orlando... oooohhhhmmmmm... ooohhhhmmmm...

Sorry for not answering your question. Haven't eaten there yet.

It's great to have more than one steakhouse downtown, but why did Lou Pearlman put another steakhouse (Pearl) on the same street. And a wish out to the universe... Since we live on a peninsula, can we get a fresh seafood restaurant in downtown Orlando... oooohhhhmmmmm... ooohhhhmmmm...

Bulldogger, didn't you know that all the red blooded American capitalists cavorting in the heart of the CBD (Read: Belly of the beast) prefer to dine on the flesh of large farm animals...

Edited by mrh3

If you're looking for an inexpensive, but classy place downtown, I'd recommend Harvey's Bistro on Orange Avenue in the Bank of America Building downtown. http://www.harveysbistro.com/

Harvey's is "OK" but I would suggest heading over to Luma on Park Ave in Winter Park or over to Beluga in the Winter Park Village...

KRES is good (if you like steak) but it is pricey... Two people with drinks is easily approaching 100 bucks. Again, Harvey's is good, affordable, but it's not "trendy/fun" like Hue is.

Go with Luma -- you'll like it if you like Hue.

ditto on the seafood comment.

walked thru Lou's new steakhouse while at the Exchange Lounge the other night, was still not officially open, but it does look pretty kick-ass in there, as does the Exchange Lounge. i must say both are very nicely done. saw some interior build-out work going on for the retail spaces in the Exchange as well, hoping some cool retail is going in there. anyone have any insite?

and anyone know what's going in the space next the steakhouse? wasnt that where Amura was suppose to go before the whole haunted building episode? whatever happened with that?

Don't know if I or anyone else has said it, but I really enjoy sushi at Shari on Central Blvd. It's in Thornton Park, nice atmosphere, great food.

Shari is very good... Thursdays 5-7PM they have $3 sushi happy hour which is an excellent value. Just get there EARLY as it's always very crowded (I usually get there at 4:45).

I think I might have mentioned them earlier in this thread but I went back to O'Stromboli last night on the corner of Corrine and Winter Park Ave., near Baldwin Park, and it was fantastic. Since we live in Colonialtown, we used to go there quite a bit but hadn't been there in a while. I guess I just forgot how good it was.

O'Stromboli is a pretty casual place for Italian, though they have done some remodeling and have nicened it up a little bit. We were in shorts and t-shirts last night and didn't feel out of place.

They serve pretty standard Italian fare, everything from veal and seafood dishes to pizza, calzone and their signature stromboli. They've actually added some specials to the menu which the chef recommended. I strongly suggest anything with ricotta cheese in it. I don't know what kind of ricotta they use, but it is the best I have ever had. Actually, I hate ricotta cheese and O'Stromboli is the only place I will eat it at after too many bad experiences with gritty ricotta. I had manicotti last night and it was superb. Their calzones are the best in Orlando and the best I have ever had.

If you are looking for inexpensive and casual Italian fare without a big rush or crowd, I highly recommend O'Stromboli. If you want a calzone or stromboli for takeout, I wouldn't recommend any other place in Orlando but O'Stromboli. It is not the most upscale or even experimental place, but it is exceptional for Italian food classics.

Shari is very good... Thursdays 5-7PM they have $3 sushi happy hour which is an excellent value. Just get there EARLY as it's always very crowded (I usually get there at 4:45).

yup very good. $3 sushi happy hour is also on fridays too!

Thanks for the suggestions,

we ended up going to a Japanese Steak House on Kirkman and went to Dessert Lady afterward.

Anybody try the new restaurant acroos from the downtown Publix?

Are you talking about the City Market Cafe (old Lake Eola Yacht Club)?

It looks like the Lee's Lakeside is getting renovated as well as the bar underground (whose name evades me) on the other side of the building. Does anybody know what is going in there?

Are you talking about the City Market Cafe [sic] (old Lake Eola Yacht Club)

i ate at the market street cafe for the first time last weekend. i had an eight eggwhite omlet with fresh broccoli, tomatoes and peppers (held the mushrooms), which was tasty. it came with wheat toast, which came dry with butter on the side, and grits (butter on the side). left the grits until last -- a mistake because they'd hardened into a nice, hard clump by that time.

overall, everything was yummy ... and the coffe mugs are actually the tall/late versions, which was a fun switch. total damage was $9. i think i'll stick with cityside cafe because it's cheaper, but it'll be good for when i want an a/c break during my sunday morning walk.

would be nice to have a wolfgang puck downtown.

We have darden HQ in orlando but no darden restaurant downtown.........

Maybe if we level some buildings and put a strip mall in downtown, then, we could get a Darden restaurant.

Wolfgang Puck would be nice. So would Gloria's Bongos. These types of restaurants might be too much excitement for downtown Orlando, unless they get attached to a new arena.

i ate at the market street cafe for the first time last weekend. i had an eight eggwhite omlet with fresh broccoli, tomatoes and peppers (held the mushrooms), which was tasty. it came with wheat toast, which came dry with butter on the side, and grits (butter on the side). left the grits until last -- a mistake because they'd hardened into a nice, hard clump by that time.

overall, everything was yummy ... and the coffe mugs are actually the tall/late versions, which was a fun switch. total damage was $9. i think i'll stick with cityside cafe because it's cheaper, but it'll be good for when i want an a/c break during my sunday morning walk.

I can't believe that you had an 8 egg omelette!!! That is so decadent. Can't wait for my next trip to Orlando. Anyway, restaurants like other retail in Orlando will increase as the residential population increases. Restaurant Row's current location is due to the proximity to both the tourist corridor and the wealthy SW Orlando market. Once the demographics pick up Downtown population/income wise there will be a better assortment of stores and eateries. I say 2007.

Ironically, The Orange County Commission today approved a $5.3 million incentive package designed to keep Darden's headquarters in Orlando. Darden plans to build a $122 million campus at <ahem> the southwest corner of John Young Parkway and the BeachLine Expressway, which should create about 900 high-paying jobs in the next 14 years.

Orlando Sentinel Article

Ironically, The Orange County Commission today approved a $5.3 million incentive package designed to keep Darden's headquarters in Orlando. Darden plans to build a $122 million campus at <ahem> the southwest corner of John Young Parkway and the BeachLine Expressway, which should create about 900 high-paying jobs in the next 14 years.

Orlando Sentinel Article

I say if that's what it takes to keep 'em here, then do it.

Our Wolfgang Puck in Downtown Disney isn't as good as it used to be prior to Levy Foods takeover of that location. I could definitely go for a WP downtown so long as it is owned by Wolfgang Puck. Hell, even a Woflgang Puck Express somewhere near SunTrust (or in that food court going inside).

Our Wolfgang Puck in Downtown Disney isn't as good as it used to be prior to Levy Foods takeover of that location. I could definitely go for a WP downtown so long as it is owned by Wolfgang Puck. Hell, even a Woflgang Puck Express somewhere near SunTrust (or in that food court going inside).

how long do you predict it will take for downtown to be busy enough to be able to support more places staying open on the weekends? since i work in winter park but live downtown, my interest is in places i can go on when i'm walking around town on saturdays and sundays.

how long do you predict it will take for downtown to be busy enough to be able to support more places staying open on the weekends? since i work in winter park but live downtown, my interest is in places i can go on when i'm walking around town on saturdays and sundays.

That's a good question. I foresee about another 2-2.5 years. I think it will take the time for the current slew of towers to fill in.