Jump to content

Chemmie

Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Recommended Posts

If you're looking for something different, here's Scott J's review of a interesting new place. I immediately thought of sunshine, because this is about as far from burgers, tacos and beer as you can get.

Speaking of far, it's down in Williamsburg but the Ethiopian/Eritrean cuisine (which I haven't tried before) looks mighty tasty. It's called Selam:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/recent-reviews/42-african/4481-selam-ethiopian-eritrean-cuisine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


20 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

STIR, the latest in the revolving door of eateries in the Ivanhoe Village spot once held by decades-long occupant Brian's (still miss those sticky buns!), has left the building, according to Scott J:

It was truly terrible. Being a business owner I hate to wish ill upon others, but I'm hopeful the abomination across the street from them will soon follow.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Market on Magnolia?

My experience at the main store was good.  We went with two other couples, one person that used to work for Bruno and one person that detests hipsters.  There were 4 of us who were neutral, one that was over the moon, and one that hated it.  I saw both sides.  The ingredients were fresh.  The place was packed.  The pizza was good, not great.  The service wasn't bad and it wasn't good.  They forgot about us, but then love bombed us after, but then forgot us again.

It was definitely hipster for the sake of being hipster, though.  I saw his point.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UROLL Sushi coming to 100 E Pine.   Current location is on Colonial just east of Goldenrod and an express location in Altamonte Mall

Edited by Jernigan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, AmIReal said:

It was truly terrible. Being a business owner I hate to wish ill upon others, but I'm hopeful the abomination across the street from them will soon follow.

Yeah, that place across the street (Mesa? w/e) has a great view but that's not enough to get me to go back to it. Calling it mediocre and generic is generous. 

Edited by mdeancherry
typo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Menagerie Eatery & Bar - where Muddy Waters (and formerly Muchos) was - is in soft opening. I'm VERY excited to have this in S. Eola. I enjoy Rusteak and Stubborn Mule a lot and the menu looks great. We need more "small plate" restaurants and typically, this ownership group does a good job. Going to give it a go in the next few weeks. 

https://www.menagerieorlando.com/

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will Mexican ceviche be the latest offering in the revolving door restaurant at South Eola's (which might be Thornton Park West if Camden is to be believed, but I digress) Sanctuary? Scott J says maybe but don't hold your breath:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4517-bullet-point-buffet-the-takeover-edition

I wish they'd just put a CVS in there and be done with it - the rectangular space is much more suited for retail than to be an overpriced eatery.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All four Dexter's have been sold, according to Scott J. There will be as many as three different owners.

Ominously, the Thornton Park restaurant (located in what is believed to be the site of Orlando's first Publix) will now be run by the owners of Graffiti Junktion (I'm not a big GJ fan and Dexter's TP has long been one of my go-to spots.)

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4527-dexter-s-restaurants-have-been-sold

The times, they are a-changin' *croons like Bob Dylan*.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2018 at 3:08 PM, spenser1058 said:

South Eola's (which might be Thornton Park West if Camden is to be believed, but I digress)

Since most everyone is brainwashed that South Eola is Thornton Park we literally asked the city to change the name and absorb us into Thornton Park to be done with it. 

Thornton Park said no.

There is/will be no such thing as TPWest.   TP is doing just fine "claiming our location & businesses" as it was put by City Hall, and I assume TP does not want the responsibility of dealing with resident issues like crime, safety, etc. so South Eola lives on but it will take a lot of work for anyone to notice or care.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/9/2018 at 7:06 PM, dwSouthEola said:

Since most everyone is brainwashed that South Eola is Thornton Park we literally asked the city to change the name and absorb us into Thornton Park to be done with it. 

Thornton Park said no.

There is/will be no such thing as TPWest.   TP is doing just fine "claiming our location & businesses" as it was put by City Hall, and I assume TP does not want the responsibility of dealing with resident issues like crime, safety, etc. so South Eola lives on but it will take a lot of work for anyone to notice or care.

So perhaps the more appropriate question is if South Eola should be absorbed by the CBD. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The funny part, I suppose, is what ersatz verbal constructions these are. "Thornton Park" did not become a thing until the late '80's (it was basically a name pulled out of the subdivision records by Rampy, Ustler et al.)

Further, what is now Thornton Park Central was mostly a big empty lot (except for a small office tucked back off the street that housed the local Realtors' hq.)

What's now considered Thornton Park was best known for the street hustlers' 7-Eleven and the coin laundry. South Eola had the retirement towers (which were locked up as tight as Fort Knox most of the time to keep Granny safe) and was infamous as the gay cruising district at night.

I suppose the fact this is an aggressive round of verbal volleyball is a testament to the success of the area. First world problems, indeed.

For what it's worth, Thornton Park, imho, is east of Summerlin except TPC, the sevvie and Anthony's.

Since the Brick Bunker is part of downtown and it (not to mention its acres of parking lots) rambles into "South Eola," I think prahaboheme's idea makes sense.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody hear anything on Handy Pantry location? I drove by today and there was a roll-off dumpster in the parking lot that looked like somebody was demo-ing the interior. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Anybody hear anything on Handy Pantry location? I drove by today and there was a roll-off dumpster in the parking lot that looked like somebody was demo-ing the interior. 

I know the owners closed due to financial issues but I haven't seen anything about what (or whom) might be taking the spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

South Eola had the retirement towers and was infamous as the gay cruising district at night.

This made me laugh out loud.  Why was a retirement center a magnet for gay cruising?  Lots and lots of elderly folks coming out?

Edited by HankStrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

This made me laugh out loud.  Why was a retirement center a magnet for gay cruising?  Lots and lots of elderly folks coming out?

I think it had more to do with the towers were built there (they were built with a lot of government grants.) because it was a cheap no man's land back in the '60's and '70's. That's also how it probably came to be the cruising district - no one much hassled anyone there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Yeah, I was hoping somebody would have news on a new tenant. That was a really neat little location when I briefly lived in Eola Heights. 

Bungalower has an article on it. It's going to be "Eola General" and the guys from Dixie Dharma and the food court place in Sanford are behind it. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2018 at 1:15 PM, spenser1058 said:

The funny part, I suppose, is what ersatz verbal constructions these are. "Thornton Park" did not become a thing until the late '80's (it was basically a name pulled out of the subdivision records by Rampy, Ustler et al.)

Further, what is now Thornton Park Central was mostly a big empty lot (except for a small office tucked back off the street that housed the local Realtors' hq.)

What's now considered Thornton Park was best known for the street hustlers' 7-Eleven and the coin laundry. South Eola had the retirement towers (which were locked up as tight as Fort Knox most of the time to keep Granny safe) and was infamous as the gay cruising district at night.

I suppose the fact this is an aggressive round of verbal volleyball is a testament to the success of the area. First world problems, indeed.

For what it's worth, Thornton Park, imho, is east of Summerlin except TPC, the sevvie and Anthony's.

Since the Brick Bunker is part of downtown and it (not to mention its acres of parking lots) rambles into "South Eola," I think prahaboheme's idea makes sense.

Central Ave, with its continuous street wall from Orange over to Summerlin, has gone a long way to make the seamless transition from the CBD to South Eola. 

Church Street’s slow transition  into a more urban stretch should also help to patch this area together.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.