Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

53 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

went to lunch at Lions Den today

Church Street does not support lunch very well. Rusty Spoon gets the business meeting crowd, but everyone else heads to various places along Orange. I swear a Panera and/ or Chick Fil A would kill down there. I've not been in Lions Den, but friends have mentioned the austere décor as an issue... not sure exactly what they meant, but it didn't sound appealing. Isn't this actually owned by the O-City team?

To be clear, we're talking about Lions Pride, right?  It's become the OSU bar, so I'm there most Saturdays.  I love the location, I love the space, I love the concept, and all the food I've had there has been very good.  But I never get food there.  Even when I lived at 55W, I only ate there once.  They have almost 0 snackable foods besides cheese curds (which goes against the entire concept of a sports bar), and most of their dishes are on the higher end of the price range.  The menu just doesn't match the restaurant.

13 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

To be clear, we're talking about Lions Pride, right?  It's become the OSU bar, so I'm there most Saturdays.  I love the location, I love the space, I love the concept, and all the food I've had there has been very good.  But I never get food there.  Even when I lived at 55W, I only ate there once.  They have almost 0 snackable foods besides cheese curds (which goes against the entire concept of a sports bar), and most of their dishes are on the higher end of the price range.  The menu just doesn't match the restaurant.

The food is good - but correct - expensive like you noted. The service has been horrible every time I've gone. That's unfortunately pretty standard for sports bars though. 

I do not believe the team actually owns the restaurant - maybe a small stake or partnership agreement. 

29 minutes ago, bqknight said:

maybe a small stake or partnership agreement.

you are correct. from their site...

"The Lion’s Pride Soccer Pub and Grill opened in May 2017. Owner Gustavo Fonseca created a meant to be a partnership with Orlando City Soccer Club and Orlando Pride becoming the official restaurant for the organization."

OW had a blurb that Robert Treviño (chef owner of El Buda) is opening up a ceviche place, theoretically before the end of the year. 

Treviño has linked with the team at Don Julio Mexican Kitchen on South Chickasaw Trail, and will soon open a ceviche bar in the space next door, appropriately called Ceviche Bar by Don Julio. 

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2018/11/30/iron-chef-contestant-roberto-trevino-heading-up-new-ceviche-bar-in-orlando?utm_source=widget&utm_medium=articleblog&utm_campaign=endofarticle&utm_content=MorebyThisAuthor

BTW The Courtesy, downtown, is doing "Miracle on Orange" again this year.  They re-do their menu and decor for Christmas with special drinkware, etc. It's pretty fun and their cocktails are always good. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mdeancherry said:

BTW The Courtesy, downtown, is doing "Miracle on Orange" again this year.  They re-do their menu and decor for Christmas with special drinkware, etc. It's pretty fun and their cocktails are always good.  

Again, the miracle here is a third party vendor that does this theme and menu, not them technically.

I tried The Ramen at Crescent Central Station yesterday for lunch. I’m by no means a ramen connoisseur, but I thought it was really good. The menu has a small but solid assortment of options and, notably, both the ramen and non-ramen options were good.

The owners didn’t do much to the interior from the Philly Connection days. There wasn’t a line at 1:45, but that’s not unusual in that area. They were doing brisk takeaway business. I think their biggest challenge will be the price point. If you do both a bowl of ramen and an app, the final bill can easily creep up toward $20.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

Again, the miracle here is a third party vendor that does this theme and menu, not them technically.

"Participating in" might have been a clearer word choice on my part than "doing" but I understand that it's a national thing with  pre-determined elements (menu, special glassware, etc.).  However, it's the same bartenders in the same space making seasonal drinks (as they always do).   They still have free Pig Floyd's on Sundays; they still have happy hour, etc.  

I think "They do Miracle" is accurate for a given definition of "do". 

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:31 PM, mdeancherry said:

OW had a blurb that Robert Treviño (chef owner of El Buda) is opening up a ceviche place, theoretically before the end of the year. 

Treviño has linked with the team at Don Julio Mexican Kitchen on South Chickasaw Trail, and will soon open a ceviche bar in the space next door, appropriately called Ceviche Bar by Don Julio. 

I hope you can actually tell what you're ordering! 

• 2 weeks later...

Any long time Orlando folks remember a Mexican place on 436 in the vicinity of Altamonte back in the late 80s/early 90s.  It was on the South side of the street somewhere near Peaches Records & Tapes.  White/red building on the smallish side.  Outbuilding in the parking lot of a shopping plaza.

Random and vague.  I came down 3 summers in a row in that time to stay with family while school was out and spent tons of time @ Peaches.  I randomly remembered that place I ate at so many of those days.  The recent taco discussion must have spawned this.

11 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Any long time Orlando folks remember a Mexican place on 436 in the vicinity of Altamonte back in the late 80s/early 90s.  It was on the South side of the street somewhere near Peaches Records & Tapes.  White/red building on the smallish side.  Outbuilding in the parking lot of a shopping plaza.

Random and vague.  I came down 3 summers in a row in that time to stay with family while school was out and spent tons of time @ Peaches.  I randomly remembered that place I ate at so many of those days.  The recent taco discussion must have spawned this.

I've been trying to figure this one out all day. I knew that area pretty well at the time. There were several Mex places on the other side of I-4, but along 436- opposite the mall property all the way to 17-92 I do not recall a Mex restaurant. Some of the places in that area that are now gone that I do remember… Splash, the bar with the pool overlooking I-4. Fuddruckers. CJs (calico jacks). Bombay Bicycle Club. China Coast- Darden's attempt at Asian food. Barnie's BBQ was a little further south, but I was in there often. Altamonte was the "hot spot" place to be in the mid 80's...

Sorry I can't answer your question, but thank you for allowing me to reflect on some fond times.

Edited by AmIReal
correction

Today was the last day of service for Beth’s Burger Bar on Washington.   Sounds like they will be opening up elsewhere downtown.   Someone here mentioned a burger place was slated to go in Novel Lucerne - though I’d be a little surprised to see Beth’s open south of 408 since they already have the Edgewood store 

Bungalower reports City Pub in North Quarter soft opens this weekend- dcluley, get ready to party!

https://bungalower.com/2018/12/28/city-pub-soft-opens-in-north-quarter-this-weekend/

From Bungalower 

Meanwhile, sunshine will be sad we’re losing a taco spot at Mills Park along with Too Much Sauce (how did they ever think that name would be a winner?)

https://bungalower.com/2018/12/27/four-rebels-tacos-has-closed/

From Bungalower 

On 12/28/2018 at 6:31 AM, spenser1058 said:

Bungalower reports City Pub in North Quarter soft opens this weekend- dcluley, get ready to party!

https://bungalower.com/2018/12/28/city-pub-soft-opens-in-north-quarter-this-weekend/

From Bungalower 

Meanwhile, sunshine will be sad we’re losing a taco spot at Mills Park along with Too Much Sauce (how did they ever think that name would be a winner?)

https://bungalower.com/2018/12/27/four-rebels-tacos-has-closed/

From Bungalower 

Link updated and TMS is not closing.  FYI, Too Much Sauce comes from the creator of Hot Krust which is largely beloved in the Sand Lake area.  Evan is an awesome dude and make amazing fast casual food.  I believe he sold Hot Krust to focus on TMS.  But I highly recommend both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/29/2018 at 1:25 PM, AndyPok1 said:

Link updated and TMS is not closing.  FYI, Too Much Sauce comes from the creator of Hot Krust which is largely beloved in the Sand Lake area.  Evan is an awesome dude and make amazing fast casual food.  I believe he sold Hot Krust to focus on TMS.  But I highly recommend both.

Good to hear, I like TMS.

I think sunshine has been hanging out with Scott J...

This comment from his Wish List for 2019:

"Let’s find something other than street food for a restaurant concept.
And does everything have to be a taco?"

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4618-a-look-back-at-2018

Edited by spenser1058