Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

• 3 weeks later...

So driving down Colonial the other day, I saw a recent new restaurant in the Cameo Theater block called "Paris Bahn Mi" which is apparently a combination of a French Bakery and Vietnamese sub shop. Interesting fusion, but fits well with the neighborhood. Another one to give a try, for sure. 

https://bungalower.com/2018/07/05/paris-banh-mi-moving-into-space-by-lineage-and-snap/

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

Here are a couple of photos from Robinson Room. I just stopped in for one since I was meeting friends elsewhere but it looked nice and my drink was good. HH is an $8 cocktail list with some other options (I forget the specifics re: beer/wine).  The drinks were craft.

robinsonroomwall.thumb.jpg.b188a55ce361eacfb56379a89de7f2f9.jpg robinsonroom.thumb.jpg.00899aa2970fa57ef04e606b3da64cbf.jpg

It wasn't as gloomy as my poor photography skills might suggest. 

• Like 1

Tre Bambine looks to be getting close to opening. I saw people in the kitchen cooking and what looked to be front of house staff inside. One funny thing - the hours vinyl on door and window mean to say they’re open until midnight Friday and Saturday but instead say 12p. 

Also - I had said that there was going to be a bakery in the corner of Citi Tower - then said they removed the sign - well - they’re back! Says opening this summer. 

• Like 2

The hometown favorites took two of the top three spots in this year’s Best Steakhouse entries from Scott J’s Foodster Awards.

The winner was Christner’s just off Lee Road, which has been with us for over 25 years;

Second place went to Linda’s La Cantina, the East Colonial institution going strong in one form or another since the 1940’s;

Third place sends us out to a newer spot in the attractions area, The Bull and Bear at the Waldorf-Astoria near Disney.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/foodster-awards/past-winners/4650-christner-s-wins-2019-best-steakhouse-foodster-award

Edited by spenser1058

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:25 PM, spenser1058 said:

The hometown favorites took two of the top three spots in this year’s Best Steakhouse entries from Scott J’s Foodster Awards.

The winner was Christner’s just off Lee Road, which has been with us for over 25 years;

Second place went to Linda’s La Cantina, the East Colonial institution going strong in one form or another since the 1940’s;

Third place sends us out to a newer spot in the attractions area, The Bull and Bear at the Waldorf-Astoria near Disney.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/foodster-awards/past-winners/4650-christner-s-wins-2019-best-steakhouse-foodster-award

I've had excellent steaks at all three.

The décor of Linda's is beyond hilarious, though. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I've had excellent steaks at all three.

The décor of Linda's is beyond hilarious, though. 

It’s old Orlando in all of its lack of, ummm, sophistication. Truth be told, there’s been at least one similar spot in all the cities I’ve lived in (admittedly, all in the South).

Given that everything in Orlando tends to change every five minutes, I’m thrilled they’re hanging in there, even if Kres is my steakhouse of choice these days.

City Pub in the North Quarter (former location of NQT) has Fish n' Chips, guys. Haven't tried it myself, but I have had a burger, french dip and flatbread there, and all were pretty decent, if a bit expensive. The food isn't as good as NQT IMO, but not bad for bar fare that I can walk to. 

Anyway, I just noticed it on the menu the other day, and since you all were lamenting no Fish n' Chips in the downtown area, I figured I would post it: 

Fish-N-Chips - 15.95
Beer battered fish, coleslaw, tartar sauce, grilled lemon, wedge fries

https://www.opentable.com/r/city-pub-orlando?ref=1068

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 3:15 PM, spenser1058 said:

I REALLY want some of these lobster fried green tomatoes from the Plaza Restaurant at MK:

https://wdwnt.com/2019/02/review-lobster-fried-green-tomatoes-kentucky-hot-sandwich-and-strip-steak-at-the-plaza-restaurant-in-the-magic-kingdom/

From WDW News Today 

I wonder who I have to bribe to get a to-go order for lunch one day...

• Like 1

City Pub in the North Quarter (former location of NQT) has Fish n' Chips, guys. Haven't tried it myself, but I have had a burger, french dip and flatbread there, and all were pretty decent, if a bit expensive. The food isn't as good as NQT IMO, but not bad for bar fare that I can walk to. 
Anyway, I just noticed it on the menu the other day, and since you all were lamenting no Fish n' Chips in the downtown area, I figured I would post it: 
Fish-N-Chips - 15.95
Beer battered fish, coleslaw, tartar sauce, grilled lemon, wedge fries https://www.opentable.com/r/city-pub-orlando?ref=1068

I ate there less than a week after they opened and my assessment of their food was just like yours. Beer selection remains good. Their branding is generic.

What I was mostly impressed by, though, was how smooth their operation was even though they were only a few days old. Props to their management.

19 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Just for Andy and Hank: Charley’s, a chain which apparently started in 1986 on the campus of THE Ohio State University, is opening at Florida Mall.

No word if they’re offering free buckeyes or autographed pics of Urban Meyer...

https://charleys.com/mHome/

I... don't think I knew Charley's was founded there.  But I ate there a lot.  Fries were perfect, and the phillys weren't bad either.  And just found out thanks to Street View that it was part of the new massive construction project they're doing on High St to ruin the flavor of off-campus.  Well, now I'm sad.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's about my assessment of City Pub. Overall basic "meh" bar food, but a bit pricey for what you get. I've tried a bunch of things there. Never had a bad meal, but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit the place.  I would have gone to NQT specifically for the food. The new place I only really go because it's close by and has decent beer selection, including a LOT of local/Florida brewery's stuff.  Great for a pint, but you're gonna pay a bit more than should be necessary. 

• Like 1

Speaking of fish and chips. From S. Joseph...

"Anyone who has driven Orange Avenue south of Michigan Street will recall the red double decker bus that has been in front of the Car Bar for, well forever, it seems. It’s gone, recently sold. But look for it to have a new life as a fish and chipperie near Sand Lake Road and International Drive."

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:41 PM, spenser1058 said:

Just for Andy and Hank: Charley’s, a chain which apparently started in 1986 on the campus of THE Ohio State University, is opening at Florida Mall.

No word if they’re offering free buckeyes or autographed pics of Urban Meyer...

https://charleys.com/mHome/

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:35 PM, AndyPok1 said:

I... don't think I knew Charley's was founded there.  But I ate there a lot.  Fries were perfect, and the phillys weren't bad either.  And just found out thanks to Street View that it was part of the new massive construction project they're doing on High St to ruin the flavor of off-campus.  Well, now I'm sad.

I have never been a Charley's fan.  I've eaten there more times than I'd like, but I'm definitely not a fan.  When I lived around the corner from the one at Waterford I gave it *ONE* shot and still didn't care for it.

p.s. my teenaged-self is ticked about the High St. re-do.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I tried Tre Bambine a few days ago. They did a nice job on improving an interior that was previously very poorly set up, so I give them credit for that. Food wise the arancini was very good. The meatballs were pretty good- unusual that they would be fried, but still pretty good. I was disappointed they were out of all flatbreads as that is what I really wanted to try. My biggest concern for them is the restaurant is huge and I think they'll have a hard time covering that rent. Also, the staff was poorly trained, even on a downtown Orlando scale. And the seating is some of the most uncomfortable around. All of the high top seating is sans backs and the low top seating is a very uncomfortable bistro chair... not conducive to lingering and spending more money.

While on the subject of new restaurants in the area I've also recently tried Coco Cocina (next to Stubborn Mule) a few times. Don't expect Tex Mex, this is more traditional Mexican fare (although they have a version of wings and a burger). If you want a taco with tequila worms or crickets they have you covered. What I have had has been pretty good- I like the 2 soups (they are complete meals) and the tacos I had were good. Nothing here to be thrilled with, but worth a try if in the area.

Across the street  is Menagerie Social Eatery. I've tried it 3 times now... not sure why. It has gotten pretty good pub in recent reviews, but I haven't tried anything that has been very good. Not trying to be harsh, and I do hope they succeed.

Orlando Weekly just reviewed MX Tacos and I would agree with everything they said. However, I would add it is in a way too small spot. I pop in there to grab lunch if I'm by myself, but wouldn't ever bring company there. Also, as pointed out by the weekly the food does not travel well so is not good for take out. This is a place that should have stuck to a food truck concept or a takeout window in a higher traffic location.

Finally and over in WP, I went to the F&F party at the new Imperial in Winter Park (Morse Blvd just off Park). Like the other locations it is a great vibe with beautiful décor. This location is different than the others in that they are also offering a very high end low ABV cocktail menu and they have some very well known local talent behind the bar. Also, unlike the other locations, they offer table service- but of course it is Park Ave. They officially open tomorrow.

• Like 2

All of our friends rave about Stubborn Mule.  I found it very underwhelming.

I won’t say SM is the best at anything, but I think their success comes from being at least good or very good at everything. (Generally speaking I feel the same way about their sister restaurant, RusTeak.) A good selection of pub food that’s slightly elevated over typical bar food, good beer selection, a very good weekend brunch, good patio (when the weather’s nice), good service, and a great location.

My husband and I typically avoid pubs/bars for food because it’s not really our jam, but SM has been our stop for dinner on the way to a show at DPCPA or other CBD destinations because they’re reliably consistent at a good price ... which is something the majority of restaurants in South Eola and the CBD can’t claim. [emoji106]
  • Like 4

On 3/6/2019 at 4:49 PM, AmIReal said:

...they are also offering a very high end low ABV cocktail menu...

I wish this concept would take off more locally. Courtesy has a nice array of vermouths, amaros,  etc. but a lot of bartenders aren't well-versed in session-type cocktails. I've got no problem with Campari and soda but it's nice to have additional options. 

• Like 1