Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

16 hours ago, mdeancherry said:

I wish this concept would take off more locally

Like other food trends (and trends in general) Orlando is a little slow on the uptake. Natural wines, like pet nats are just now having their moment here despite being well established in other cities for several years. I think you'll start seeing more session cocktails  at higher end restaurants and craft bars, but certainly not in most bars downtown. The exception is Courtesy, as you mentioned, which has a nice selection of product and I know Justin behind the bar is pretty creative. Same with Guesthouse and Ravenous Pig.

• Like 1

Fuzzy’s on Orange (in the former Cafe Annie spot) has closed. Like, literally today. All furniture is gone.

And as long as we’re on that block: the spot next door that was supposed to house the Middle Eastern sliders restaurant no longer has their branded window graphics up. The space is still very much a construction zone, although it doesn’t look like any work has taken place for some time. Probably not a great sign.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

Fuzzy’s on Orange (in the former Cafe Annie spot) has closed. Like, literally today. All furniture is gone.

Wow, that didn't take long. How long were they even open? 3 months or so?

I didn't really get why anyone would open a chain taco shop right in the middle of neighborhood that is brimming with good, established taco places though. 

It’s no longer just Pizza Bruno but, coming soon, Bagel Bruno. He’ll be offering this second NYC favorite at the new Foxtail Coffee on its way to College Park.

Meanwhile, 4Rivers is now offering jerky.

Still no word on anyone selling fried chicken livers. I’ve been missing those since the demise of Maryland Fried Chicken (which, oddly enough, was an Orlando-based chain).

From Scott J:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4685-bullet-point-buffet-a-mighty-party-bagels-and-turkey-jerky

• Like 1

While it’s easy to blame Fuzzys on the saturation of taco joints, they were horrible when we went.  As in co worker never got his food OR a refund for said food.

Shame about BurgerIM - I read that they’ve been building their downtown Tampa location for over 2 years so was worried they may be having issues.

1 minute ago, mdeancherry said:

Isn't there still a MFC on Edgewater?

Actually, I think there are three left: Edgewater, Union Park and WG. As I understand it, the chain died and they each do their own thing (somewhat like Beefy King). Sadly, I rarely get out to the ‘burbs to hit them up.

On 3/14/2019 at 5:54 PM, orlandoguy said:

Someone messaged me yesterday to tell me that.  Like the rest of you, I'm... not surprised.

I've enjoyed Fuzzy's well enough during various suburb trips.  I mean... they have breakfast tacos all day AND a bar.   You could practically spit in my face while I order if you offer both those things and I'll look past it. 

But the concept was just never going to work downtown.  As @mdeancherry said, there's just too many good or established taco places nearby.  The only reason to go there would be if you wanted a "sports bar" concept while eating mediocre tacos.  Maybe if it was on Church, it'd have a chance due to Amway traffic, but on the north end of the contiguous CBD that's still working to expand?  No chance.  It's not a "destination".

But this did get me thinking.  We've all quasi-lamented the lack of chains able to build a presence.  The more I'm thinking about it, the more I wonder if anything could actually survive.  My go-to example has always been Ale House.  I've said for years that as part of redeveloping the Diocese lot, as part of X, or wherever, an Ale House would be a perfect anchor because it fills numerous niches.  Lunch, Happy Hour, Dinner, Sports, Late Night, Specials, and has a big enough local following that when people are saying, "oh where should we watch [bla bla sports]", no one is ever going to complain about going to an Ale House.  Fuzzy's obviously doesn't have the same cachet, nor level of service, nor quality, etc etc... but say that Fuzzy's was an Ale House (obviously it'd be too small, so for imagination sake, let's say it took up most of that plaza).  Would we be having the same conversation?  I'm not entirely sure we wouldn't.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Ale House makes me throw up a little bit in my mouth just to think about.  But, the point is valid.

Ale House has always struck me as so generic that Feiday’s seems unique by comparison. I suppose that may be from living in Nashville when it was the epicenter of the fern bar concept with countless variations on the theme.

Ale Houses keep spreading like kudzu, though, so apparently mine is a minority view.

Put a Chick-Fil-A in that location and watch it thrive. They could open a location on Antarctica and there’d constantly be a line around the building.

Also, sorry I’m so full of bad restaurant news lately but Baja Burrito Kitchen in Colonial Plaza has closed (after 20 years!) I know most people either loved or hated the place, but it’s sad to see a longtime business close.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, orlandoguy said:

Put a Chick-Fil-A in that location and watch it thrive. They could open a location on Antarctica and there’d constantly be a line around the building.

Also, sorry I’m so full of bad restaurant news lately but Baja Burrito Kitchen in Colonial Plaza has closed (after 20 years!) I know most people either loved or hated the place, but it’s sad to see a longtime business close.

Any idea what we get after Baja?

I am of such a split mind on Chick-Fil-A. Their stores run flawlessly and their program to help employees pay for school is laudable. The product is fine also.

But, then the Cathys who own it have issues with full civil rights for folks like me and still contribute to anti-LGBTQ organizations. OTOH, the owners of the Colonial Plaza store are gay and have told me they don’t feel put upon by corporate.

Since a new store downtown would likely cause other fast foodies to up their game on friendliness and service, I’d say its worth a go, especially if the CP owners could pick up a second franchise.

To be clear, I’m in no way endorsing CFA - just commenting on their seemingly otherworldly ability to turn any location into what is essentially a building that prints money. But yeah, they’re still on my no no list. And now that PDQ is in town, I’m much less sad about that than I used to be.

Actually, there’s an idea: PDQ would have zero competition for quick serve chicken in the CBD. Maybe our friendly Tampa-based chicken purveyor should give it a shot ... ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

But, then the Cathys who own it have issues with full civil rights for folks like me and still contribute to anti-LGBTQ organizations. OTOH, the owners of the Colonial Plaza store are gay and have told me they don’t feel put upon by corporate.

Since a new store downtown would likely cause other fast foodies to up their game on friendliness and service, I’d say its worth a go, especially if the CP owners could pick up a second franchise.

Yeah, Chick Fil A was among the first to help out with Pulse. They clearly aren't anti-LGBT in their actions, other then one very specific thing (the calling of gay couples marriage). While I no doubt strongly disagree with them on that opinion, its ridiculous to consider their entire organization anti-LGBT because of it -- and they're simply not. Thats why they have open, proud, gay store owners. And quite frankly, as a matter of law, its a settled issue, nobody (political) wants to revisit it.

My problem with Chick Fil A is more their food, I find Zaxbys much better personally... but I guess thats just me. I haven't tried PDQ, one of these days I'll have to... but I barely eat out anymore.

Edited by aent

It may just be me and the circle I know since lots of us moved here via Disney internships, but we largely enjoy Ale House as a chain sports bar.  (Although I have heard rumours the quality has gone downhill lately.  I haven't been in forever since, well, there's none convenient to the south side of downtown).  Don't get me wrong, I'm generally going somewhere local, rather than chain.  Just an interesting theory.

I could definitely see a CFA there, and that might be the answer as opposed to a full-service restaurant.

7 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

It may just be me and the circle I know since lots of us moved here via Disney internships, but we largely enjoy Ale House as a chain sports bar.  (Although I have heard rumours the quality has gone downhill lately.  I haven't been in forever since, well, there's none convenient to the south side of downtown).  Don't get me wrong, I'm generally going somewhere local, rather than chain.  Just an interesting theory.

I could definitely see a CFA there, and that might be the answer as opposed to a full-service restaurant.

I haven't been to Ale House in quite awhile but I always enjoyed it when I went. You knew what you were getting and the alcohol was cheap - that's all you can really ask for. When Duffy's came to town - they kind of one upped Ale House IMO. Ale House continues to expand though and they're always busy.