Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

6 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

That's rather interesting. I though they would be demoing portions of that building for CSP Phase II. 

The Sentinel story says it is going in the Bumby Hardware building. If that’s true, it’s landmarked (1886).

I’m not sure how much fiddling around Bob Snow did when he created the Bumby Arcade, though - guess we’ll find out.

16 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I guess that is just side entrance.

You are correct it is the side entrance. The front portion of the building houses Hamburger Mary's and I don't see it going anywhere.  The rear portion is what was el Buda/ Maddy & Cru/ some lame pizza joint after being Brick and Fire Pizza/ et al and all of those entered through the side entrance. However, the space weirdly wraps behind and around Mary's and through the front Bumby Arcade entrance, hence (I assume) the Church Street entrance the article mentions.

Spenser is correct that the Arcade building is protected, but I assume the add on portion to the rear is not protected. Everything past the iron arched gate along that alley is add on and not part of the original building (I think).

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

The building is actually not protected - only the facade is.  

That’s certainly true but as part of CSS (fondly remembered by a lot more folks in town than the Jaymont Block was) and, since several of the occupants are doing well (while both Woolworth’s and McCrory’s were going bankrupt nationally), it will be more difficult to pull off demolition by neglect and for Bulldozer Buddy to fire up the Caterpillar late at night.

Also, Orlando is more progressive today than in 2003. With each passing year, the 15% of Orlando voters who show up for city elections are less likely to allow their mayor to cave to developers than they once were. I, for example, am thinking about skipping a vote in the mayoral race for the first time this November because it’s time to move on. Where I was once actively involved financially and with staffing of Buddy’s campaigns, I am no longer. There’s no longer a need to accept politicians in the city who are deep in the developers’ pockets.

3 hours ago, Jernigan said:

The building is actually not protected - only the facade is.

Technically correct, but say for example you left the original façade intact and added a 20 story structure over it... generally the historic review board would have purview over that type arrangement due to the  change of appearance, which is reviewable. But, yes I agree with you, in this case only the façade is protected. They could gut the interior all they want. 

Also there is about 8000 ft2 ground floor space that was built in '94, none of which is protected.

On the subject of restaurants I thought every one would like to know/be warned of...

https://www.feliperodrigueztequilahouse.com/

https://www.facebook.com/FelipeRodriguezTH/?_fb_noscript=1

in the old Truck Stop/ Graffiti/ … Midnight Blu/ some Italian place building at the Washington fountain in Thorton Park. 

Andy, please provide a thorough review by Monday.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Technically correct, but say for example you left the original façade intact and added a 20 story structure over it... generally the historic review board would have purview over that type arrangement due to the  change of appearance, which is reviewable. But, yes I agree with you, in this case only the façade is protected. They could gut the interior all they want. 

Also there is about 8000 ft2 ground floor space that was built in '94, none of which is protected.

A tease and so lawyer-y to boot! 

Conde Nast names the best bars in Orlando. Hard to argue that any of these are bad, but there are a few I would have left off and a few others I would have included.

"Look, it may come as a shock, but Orlando has a good bar scene. Like, really good. With high-class joints like The Courtesy and Bitters & Brass slinging eucalyptus bitters, amari, and thyme-infused vermouths, you’ll find cocktails to rival New York or L.A., but there is also a whole host of bars with beers from area brewers and wines sourced from small growers around the world. And of course, because we’re in Florida, tiki abounds, too. Whether your priorities lie in getting a perfect pint or an expertly-crafted Manhattan, the city has your back: these are our picks for the best bars in Orlando."

https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/best-bars-in-orlando-florida

• Like 2

On 4/30/2019 at 5:02 PM, AmIReal said:

You are correct it is the side entrance. The front portion of the building houses Hamburger Mary's and I don't see it going anywhere.  The rear portion is what was el Buda/ Maddy & Cru/ some lame pizza joint after being Brick and Fire Pizza/ et al and all of those entered through the side entrance.

They way it's depicted it may help break the curse on that space.  A big problem has been just getting people to that side door since it seems like...well, a side door.  It looks like they are trying to move the perceived entrance up to Church St., which seems like a good idea to me.  I get that they aren't literally moving the door but that framework looks a lot more like "a thing that I am supposed to walk through" than the old alley/back patio thing. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Conde Nast names the best bars in Orlando. Hard to argue that any of these are bad, but there are a few I would have left off and a few others I would have included.

https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/best-bars-in-orlando-florida

Nice list (although poor Sanford is just glommed into Orlando without so much as a mention).  Seems like their definition of "best" is "does whatever it is they are doing well, even if what they are doing is being a dive". 

I guess I need to go out to Disney to hit the few I have not been to already.  How old is the tequila bar at Epcot? I've definitely had margarita's in Ep-Mexico but it's been years and I don't remember the bar looking that nice.  I think we just got ours at a little stand or something. 

1 hour ago, mdeancherry said:

I get that they aren't literally moving the door but that framework looks a lot more like "a thing that I am supposed to walk through" than the old alley/back patio thing. 

I think you've hit on a good point... lure the customer in via a much more attractive (and trendy) gateway. Also, I think food halls are much more a destination venue than an individual restaurant is. None of the stores inside of East End Market could survive outside, but with the drawing power of other stores they can succeed... more feet in the door.  So even if this is not a great location I think the attraction of the food hall will make it a good location.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:54 AM, HankStrong said:

A tease

another tease for Hank and something to make Andy happy... new vendor going into the vacated Pizza Bruno spot inside Orange County Brewing. Rumor is they will do a pop up over the weekend and fully open within a couple weeks. More info tomorrow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, popsiclebrandon said:

It is Orlando Meats. Those guys are true gems of Orlando and couldn't be more excited for them to take over. Going to be a massive upgrade.

I was very sad that Bruno left and am very happy that Orlando Meats is coming in. This forum is an emotional roller coaster.  

It’s difficult to find much info online about it, but the new restaurant in the bottom floor of Skyhouse (formerly Your Pie) looks to be on the verge of opening. The window paper has come down revealing a minimally updated interior (looks like they’ve kept the pizza oven) and employees have been inside working within the last week.

They’ve established a Yelp page as well as some info on Google. There are a few pics on Google. Bowls and flatbreads appear to be on the menu:

https://g.co/kgs/xLgSNo

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, orlandoguy said:

It’s difficult to find much info online about it, but the new restaurant in the bottom floor of Skyhouse (formerly You Pie) looks to be on the verge of opening. The window paper has come down revealing a minimally updated interior (looks like they’ve kept the pizza oven) and employees have been inside working within the last week.

They’ve established a Yelp page as well as some info on Google. There are a few pics on Google. Bowls and flatbreads appear to be on the menu:
https://g.co/kgs/xLgSNo

#ChargeOn

1B79775A-4B37-4C91-81F4-ED31AF5B12C7.jpeg