Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

34 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

In a surprise to no one because they were con-men Tre Bambine has closed. Whole staff walked out because they haven't been paid in weeks and owners are not reachable. They may have made a run for it with their like 10 lawsuits against them.

It’s like Spice: The Sequel...

Edited by spenser1058

For whatever reason, bread rarely comes to mind when I ponder Asian food. It’s not really a thing at most of the Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese and Japanese restaurants I’ve eaten at here in town, and if it’s quite usual when dining in actual Pacific Rim countries, I guess I need to get out my passport and see what I’ve been missing.

Anyway, in the meantime, Scott J offers this on Bread and Co., a new Korean bakery in WP. I particularly want to give the Sausage Bread a go.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/recent-reviews/63-korean/4766-bread-co

On 5/14/2019 at 12:52 PM, popsiclebrandon said:

In a surprise to no one because they were con-men Tre Bambine has closed. Whole staff walked out because they haven't been paid in weeks and owners are not reachable. They may have made a run for it with their like 10 lawsuits against them.

Do we have updates on this? I’ve checked with a couple of folks and the usual places for restaurant news are still silent as well. No one seems to know what’s up even though rumors have indeed been flying.

So Hawkers is continuing to expand and has filed permits to open a restaurant in Nashville. They now have 11 locations. The company is headquartered here in Orlando (with the Mills location being the first) and is working directly with Foundry Commercial (formerly CNL) headquartered in Orlando. 

Interesting to note.  I had no idea Hawkers was expanding like that. Adds to our other restaurant headquarters such as Darden, Ruth's Chris, 4 Rivers, Tijuana Flats, Brio/Bravo, Hard Rock Cafe, Miller's Ale House and Bento Group that is currently constructing it's headquarters and test kitchen on Colonial.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/construction/article/21068245/permit-patrol-13-may-2019

Edited by dcluley98

On 5/14/2019 at 12:52 PM, popsiclebrandon said:

Chinese investors in ‘disastrous’ spot, suit says, after EB-5 deal goes wrong

https://www.franchisetimes.com/June-July-2018/Chinese-investors-in-disastrous-spot-suit-says-after-EB-5-deal-goes-wrong/

Terry Chan, wife Jacquelyn and his brother Gary used the EB-5 program “to enrich themselves” at the expense of seven Chinese nationals who each poured $500,000 into the Chans’ businesses.

21 minutes ago, Jvest55 said:

Terry Chan, wife Jacquelyn and his brother Gary used the EB-5 program “to enrich themselves” at the expense of seven Chinese nationals who each poured $500,000 into the Chans’ businesses.

The surprising thing to me is all of this was known- I mentioned it back in the fall- and yet they were still able to get loans to build out the space and secure a liquor license. Not to mention somehow get a favorable review from Scott Joseph.

If there is anything good to come of this, the space has been redone and some obtrusive walls opened up. Brandon likely knows a lot more about what can succeed there, but based on the large size and high costs I think it will need to be a chain with some money behind it- how about Bar Louie. Or maybe a food hall!!! Option 3, split the space into 2 smaller spaces.

• Like 1

Everything about that deal completely confuses me. We have the same landlord and they are kinda hardasses about their leases as they know they have a great location. They charge both a base and a % of sales, in this town that is pretty unheard of. Then their ask on that space was enormous and according to the lease that is no public record from the lawsuit they took way under market to bring in people with no money.

That space has to be divided up or rented to a name brand chain. Otherwise this will keep happening.

When it comes to dives, Lee & Rick’s is, to quote Sinatra, “top of the heap”.

Almost as old as LaCantina (yet, unlike that steakery always in the same place with much briefer closing periods for refurbishments and the line of family ownership is a much straighter line), the beer is cold but the reason you go are the awesome oysters at a fair price.

Best of all, it’s in beautiful downtown Orlo Vista (did you know OV was once the cockfighting capital of Florida?) What could be better? 69 years and going strong, this is REAL Orlando.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/recent-reviews/68-seafood/4774-orlando-classic-lee-rick-s-oyster-bar

Feom Scott J.

20 PETE 20

Edited by spenser1058

On 4/18/2019 at 5:14 PM, spenser1058 said:

Scott J is booked into the Old Jailhouse in Sanford and seems quite pleased about it.

It’s quite literally in the old Seminole County Jail occupying a building dating back to 1890.

SunRail trip!

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/recent-reviews/51-american/4730-old-jailhouse

Didn't get a chance to try the bill of fare before the owner was arrested for sexual battery...

Southern Living named St. Augustine “The Best Food Town In the South” - who knew? I have been to two of the places though and they really are good.

It is amazing how St. Augustine has been escaping its kitschy past slowly but surely and is becoming more worthy of its heritage.

Meanwhile, Winter Park did make the list at#8.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/explore-florida/os-ne-the-south-2019-best-food-towns-20190529-vcxtq7houzgc3dc4q3pxkgg2vm-story.html

Via the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

21 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Southern Living named St. Augustine “The Best Food Town In the South”

It should be noted this list is of "towns" from their "Best of Small Towns" section and is separate from their "Best Food Cities" list. That is why you don't see New Orleans, Charleston, Asheville, Atlanta, etc on the list . Also, the list is based on reader submissions. Not trying to knock St. Augustine, but their "food scene" in not that good.

• Thanks 1

Gabriel's Subs on Curry Ford has closed down.

Wonder if the franchisees packed it in and moved back to Manchester.

Including the years they were next to the old DMV, that Gabriel's has been there almost 30 years. Have to wonder if Wawa did them in.  I preferred the taste of Gabriel's, but at $10 for a "large" sub, Wawa gave you as much food for literally half the price.

Edited by Camillo Sitte
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Camillo Sitte said:

Gabriel's Subs on Curry Ford has closed down.

Wonder if the franchisees packed it in and moved back to Manchester.

Including the years they were next to the old DMV, that Gabriel's has been there almost 30 years. Have to wonder if Wawa did them in.  I preferred the taste of Gabriel's but at $10 for a large sandwich, Wawa gave you as much food for literally half the price.

Gabriel’s to me will always belong in College Park anyway but then I’m biased.

Altamonte-based (and UCF founded - Charge On!) Tijuana Flats has a new CEO hired from Bertucci’s, which is now owned by Orlando-based Robert Earl’s company.

In addition to more TF expansion in the works (come back to TP, please), it’s interesting to see how we’re seeing Orlando’s fast casual chains following a core tenet of urban econ: growth in the local market because of clustering within the industry.

Tijuana Flats picks former Bertucci’s leader Brian Wright for new CEO http://bit.ly/2Z145H2

From the Sentinel 

Saw a storefront/signage for La Femme Du Fromage today in one of the North Quarter GF spaces. Not sure if it is open yet, because I had not heard anything. https://www.lafemmedufromage.com/

Looks like a cool place to check out DT or for NQ residents. They have location on Corinne/Winter Parkish area. I'm all about some gourmet cheese. Especially blue cheese! 

I'll have to walk by and check it out. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

Saw a storefront/signage for La Femme Du Fromage today in one of the North Quarter GF spaces. Not sure if it is open yet, because I had not heard anything. https://www.lafemmedufromage.com/
Looks like a cool place to check out DT or for NQ residents. They have location on Corinne/Winter Parkish area. I'm all about some gourmet cheese. Especially blue cheese! 

Current target for opening is June/July. The space will be an expansion of the East End stall, meaning retail cheese sales along with an expanded dine-in menu of cheese- and charcuterie-focused dishes and expanded wine selection. I believe they’ll also sell wine retail for the first time.

The kitchen facilities will double as a home base for the owner’s existing catering business, although that won’t be particularly visible to customers.
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

They also have a presence in Eola General - worth checking out if you haven't yet!

• Like 1

The varmints are taking over at Lions’ Pride and Eola’s Relax Grill have both seen closures in the past month due to rodent/roach problems:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-cfb-restaurant-inspections-lions-pride-relax-grill-20190604-hda6tchewfe4dn3jn5xm74dp4a-story.html?outputType=amp

From the Sentinel